Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do you understand Japanese?

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 pm

I know the basic grammatical structure, all hiragana, all katakana, some kanji, polite speech, informal speech (including some slang), all of the various first and second person pronouns, expletives, gender differences in speech, many everyday phrases, and more stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I've been teaching myself the language for 5 years now. I'm not fluent, but I still know quite a bit.

My quest continues... I would like to take some classes one day, to test my knowledge.
-Joey

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 am

I feel happy to have been born in Japan when I see this kind of topic. まあ実際には英語が上手く喋れないことの歯がゆさのほうが実感する機会が多いんだけども・・・。

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:45 am

None at all. Sad my college doesn't offer it.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:09 am

Barely none sadly. I did learn some phrases and greetings while watching Anime and Japanese game shows (mostly Gaki no Tsukai hehe), but I still can't get the hang with Kanji aside from my own name and a few others.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:21 am

I'm extremely hesitant to say that I'm anywhere near overall fluency (apologies about my earlier impudence) because my reading and writing leave a lot to be desired. There being three scripts is obviously a challenge for learners, and if Herms' reading is as good as he says, then he should give himself a pat on the back. Mastering them requires a whole lot of rote learning and thus a whole lot of time, which I've seldom been getting. I don't post here as much as I used to, as I'm sure some of you might have noticed.

That being said, I feel that my conversational Japanese is fairly good, perhaps because the grammar is so easy. I've been around the block, so to speak, and Japanese grammar is really nothing compared to those of other lingos that I've studied (English grammar actually isn't as straightforward as some people ignorantly claim). So yeah, I have no problem watching Dragon Ball without subtitles.

As for why, I suppose it was my glossophillia and my love of anime, which honestly can be both a help and a hinderance. :P

kei17 wrote:I feel happy to have been born in Japan when I see this kind of topic.
We're talking about a language here; there's really no need for patriotism. If this were a thread about Japan's economy or life expectancy, I would completely understand. But to me this is unwarranted.

You seem to be a nice guy, so I hope you don't take offence to this or anything like that. I'm just expressing my thoughts here.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:54 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:We're talking about a language here; there's really no need for patriotism. If this were a thread about Japan's economy or life expectancy, I would completely understand. But to me this is unwarranted.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I was talking about a language, too. I mean, I feel happy because I understand Japanese perfectly so I can enjoy the DB series raw.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:09 am

I know bits and pieces after having watched many subbed anime´s. I´m far from fluent though.
-凯

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 am

kei17 wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:We're talking about a language here; there's really no need for patriotism. If this were a thread about Japan's economy or life expectancy, I would completely understand. But to me this is unwarranted.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I was talking about a language, too. I mean, I feel happy because I understand Japanese perfectly so I can enjoy the DB series raw.
Oh, that's fine. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

rodan_master

Post by rodan_master » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Yes, I understand Japanese at a pretty decent level, more than enough to understand what's going on in DB, lol. The first time I read Dragon Ball was while I was in Japan back in High School as an exchange student, so it was in Japanese obviously (read all 42 volumes while I was there). Basically all my Japanese reading skills come from reading Dragon Ball :lol: .
I also watch the anime raw and don't really have any trouble with it (which is a given since I already know the story from the manga I guess). To be honest I've never actually read/seen any english adaptations of Dragon Ball (I've turned on the subtitles all of once because my brother wanted to watch too one time).

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 pm

I know enough Japanese to watch anime raw and understand what is going on. Or, if there are subtitles present (as I am not fluent), I can consider the subtitles an afterthought. I don't really like watching DB in Japanese though, unless it's GT or Yamato Kai (which I prefer the dub, anyway).

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I minored in Japanese, but haven't done much with it in a year or two and my kanji knowledge is very poor. I have enough of a basic understanding that I could probably translate simple manga with the help of kanji and vocab dictionaries.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:55 am

I'm somewhat proficient at Japanese, I suppose, but nowhere near fluent. I can hold conversation pretty damn well (I have a pretty good vocabulary) - my main downfall is my kanji. I can only recognize 100-150 and the amount I can actually write would be a lot less. It surprises me that heaps of others are saying that it's easier for them to read than listen - just because one kanji can make a phrase completely incomprehensible if you don't know it.

Even though I'm not perfect, apart from video games, I only have Japanese manga and DVDs so they're the only way I get my Dragon Ball. It's simple enough so I know what's going on though - and the furigana helps so much!

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 am

I understand completely random things such as the below:
Hoshi no Kaabii
Doragon Boru Zetto
Densetsu
watashi
boku
ore
ora
seru

I also recognize certain kanji written and I know a little from both of the primary Japanese alphabets.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:08 am

あたしは日本語を話します~!

皆さん、ドラゴンボールの何語版を見ますか? 英語版? 日本語版? サブタイトル?

(I'm really tired... I may have butchered that... lol)
Last edited by DemonRin on Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:14 am

DemonRin wrote:あたしは日本語を話します~!

I see I speak Japanese? Something about Dragon Ball and English subtitles?
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:19 am

「を話します」より「を話せます」「が喋れます」の方が良いんじゃないかな。あと「サブタイトル」は日本語の場合主に各話のタイトルや~~で括られた題名に付属する言葉を指す場合が多いから、「字幕」と表現したほうがしっくり来ると思う。

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:22 am

Yeah, it's 2am... I'm out of it... I knew I made mistakes as I was typing it XD

And my Japanese teacher taught it as Hanashimasu" for speak, it was one of the very first things I learned so I kinda stick to that one. There are better ways to do it, but I kinda stick to what I learned first... lol.

それでも、分かりわよ! ケイ先輩! XD
ありがと~う!
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:44 am

Shimasu (too lazy for kana) is certainly valid. It's just like in English: you can say "I speak Japanese" or "I can speak Japanese" - neither is more correct than the other.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 am

kei17 wrote:

「を話します」より「を話せます」「が喋れます」の方が良いんじゃないかな。あと「サブタイトル」は日本語の場合主に各話のタイトルや~~で括られた題名に付属する言葉を指す場合が多いから、「字幕」と表現したほうがしっくり来ると思う。
So the day has finally come when this forum is that focused on the original version of DB that the users are speaking in complete Japanese.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:14 am

I don't speak Japanese at all. However, I'm learning Spanish. :P
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O