FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by email2003 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:15 am

Krycek7o2 wrote:
DBZ Mick wrote:
Others weren't so lucky, and this sucks big time, since this is the best DVD release DBZ will ever get, and stupid Funimation doesn't even try to make them as popular as the craptastic orange bricks. These things should have replaced all the OB's in the store shelves, then they would have sold much better and FUNi could have made more.
They should have put the Falconer score on the English track instead of English voices and Japanese soundtrack. I've read around and a majority of dubbies say they would have bought the Dragon Boxes if they did that. But then these were always meant to be fans of the original Japanese version.
The Dragon Box release was not aimed at them.
That would be people like me. I really HATE the English dub version with fury! :evil: Thank god for Kai for having a great English dub for the series. I would have prefered to have the Mexican dub version on these sets if that was possible. That would have been awesome!

Also, damnit Amazon. Why do you keep changing the prices on these sets. Just make them $31.99 and I'll buy the remaining three I need to complete this.

Does anyone know if Amazon price matches from other sites?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:30 am

DBZ Mick wrote:They should have put the Falconer score on the English track instead of English voices and Japanese soundtrack. I've read around and a majority of dubbies say they would have bought the Dragon Boxes if they did that. But then these were always meant to be fans of the original Japanese version.
I'm really conflicted about this one.
On one hand, I'm glad the Faulconer's music isn't on here to begin with. It feels more (forgive me for sounding dickish) 'pure', and faithful to the original Japanese version. On the other, the English dub simply wasn't meant to have the Kikuchi score backing it, and sounds awkward with it. Faulconer's BGM and the original FUNimation dub were made for one another, that's how dub fans have gotten to know their show. They aren't getting their show with the Dragon Boxes, they're getting some weird 'Japanese version' of their dub.
"The Dragon Boxes weren't intended for fans of the dub"
Then why include a dub at all? I'm aware it's geared much more toward the fans of the original, that's really the point of these sets. But if you're going to have a dub, why not toss in the one which'll get you the most sales, and make the most amount of people happy?

I'm glad Faulconer's dub wasn't in there, yet at the same time, I wouldn't really mind if it were in there. It's a track I never switch to, and I know dub fans and fans of the original would be equally enjoying this fantastic product. It's a shame really (but not really. ARGH. CONFLICT.).

Ah well, I guess the Blu Rays make this a pointless discussion now anyway.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:33 am

Aghhh! I'm really kicking myself for not buying Dragon Box #5 & #6 when Amazon had them for $20 each. What are the chances of them doing that again!?

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:37 am

Rory wrote:"The Dragon Boxes weren't intended for fans of the dub"
Then why include a dub at all? I'm aware it's geared much more toward the fans of the original, that's really the point of these sets. But if you're going to have a dub, why not toss in the one which'll get you the most sales, and make the most amount of people happy?
From what I've heard, the only reason the dub was included at all is because FUNi (or at least Gen Fukunaga) has a strict policy against sub-only releases. As for why they used the dub w/ JP-BGM, probably because it's the only 5.1ch track they have for all 291 episodes, and FUNi seems to necessitate 5.1ch English dubs on their DVDs.
-Joey

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:01 am

Chibi Gohan wrote:The local MovieStop I went to today still had all the Dragon Boxes, with exception to the 2nd one.
Around 40$.
email2003 wrote:Aghhh! I'm really kicking myself for not buying Dragon Box #5 & #6 when Amazon had them for $20 each. What are the chances of them doing that again!?
Probably depends on how much stock they have of those sets or how fast they want to sell them. As someone mention before somewhere on this forum, Amazon is kind of like a stock market in terms of pricing.
DBZ Mick wrote: They should have put the Falconer score on the English track instead of English voices and Japanese soundtrack. I've read around and a majority of dubbies say they would have bought the Dragon Boxes if they did that. But then these were always meant to be fans of the original Japanese version.
No... they really shouldn't have. If those dubbies were willing to pick a crappy soundtrack over a good quality remaster, that's their problem... The release wasn't intended for them.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:06 am

email2003 wrote:Aghhh! I'm really kicking myself for not buying Dragon Box #5 & #6 when Amazon had them for $20 each. What are the chances of them doing that again!?
Now that they're discontinued? Not very high.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:24 am

Hey, I'm no huge Faulconer fan myself nowadays (although I don't mind a few tracks)... really what I was getting at was this post by dprez.
Others weren't so lucky, and this sucks big time, since this is the best DVD release DBZ will ever get, and stupid Funimation doesn't even try to make them as popular as the craptastic orange bricks. These things should have replaced all the OB's in the store shelves, then they would have sold much better and FUNi could have made more.
If FUNI wanted to make them more popular they should have added the Faulconer score instead of the Japanese score on the English dub included with the Dragon Box. I've already said the DBoxes were for the Japanese fnas...

And I also should have got Boxes 5 and 6 on Saturday for $20... I have no clue why I didn't...
:?
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:25 am

DNA wrote:
Craddle wrote:
dballfan wrote:Just thought I should say I just noticed Dragon Box 4 selling for $41 on amazon marketplace for those interested.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
If you're willing to risk it.

This seller has a bad rep for not responding to emails at all. Items frequently are returned damaged at the cost of the buyer due to this. Also, well known for canceling orders without any notice due to the item being out of stock. Don't just take my word for it, read their amazon reviews and google their company name.
He does have 92% positive, so it can't be all bad.

God these prices are ridiculous, and I take it they're all like this all over the online stores, right?
Craddle wrote:google their company name.
RAREWAVES-USA has one for $37 on amazon. Never heard anything bad about the seller or his rep.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:00 pm

LOL! I bought the last copy of Dragon Box #5 on Amazon from Amazon just a sec ago. It said, "1 left in stock" so I had to go ahead and buy it. :lol:

Well, 2 more to go.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Oh fuck my ass! Every time I try to buy a Dragon Box 4 that is actually cheap, it's already been sold! This sucks ass!

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:06 pm

email2003 wrote:LOL! I bought the last copy of Dragon Box #5 on Amazon from Amazon just a sec ago. It said, "1 left in stock" so I had to go ahead and buy it. :lol:

Well, 2 more to go.
Nevermind. Seems as though Amzon's inventory is screwed up. They have Dragon Box #5 back in stock. :?

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Look what I found, fellas!

http://www.smartzplace.com/dragonball-z ... vt/4016473

Of course I can't complete the registration to see if its available because I don't have a credit card.
Maron is stacked!!

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Android 50 wrote:Look what I found, fellas!

Of course I can't complete the registration to see if its available because I don't have a credit card.
Since it says "On Order", I very much doubt that they have any in stock.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:06 pm

It's just another one of those sites that despite not having any in stock will still have it listed.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Chibi Gohan wrote:
Android 50 wrote:Look what I found, fellas!

Since it says "On Order", I very much doubt that they have any in stock.
Where does it say that at? :(

Anyways yeah, you guys are probably right. It would have been too easy I guess. Thought I was doing a favor. I'll check better next time.
Maron is stacked!!

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Right above the picture of the product.

dballfan
Beyond Newbie

Post by dballfan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:40 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

There's a seller selling it for $38 for those interested (Dragon box 4).

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Annnnnd it's already gone.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Dragon Box 2 is going for $85 used. I mean I was thinking, "That ain't too bad of a deal for anyone that wants one". However, then I read the description:

"Complete, Discs may have been buffed, they are scratch free, box is in pretty bad condition, inner plastic holding DVDs are all fine."
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used
If anyone's interested.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Haha.

I actually picked up a used volume 7 for cheap at one point, figuring that it had to be in decent shape since it only came out about a week or so ago at that point. The set was in "okay" condition, except the smart guy at Amazon Warehouse stuck a sticker on the purple reflective bits on the front, and of course due to being jostled in the box upon shifting the purple stuff already had started to rip off with the sticker. On top of that there was no way to safetly remove the sticker without completely ruining the spine, so I ended up returning it.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]