FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by Daimakku » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:10 pm

orangebrick94 wrote:For anybody who wants a cheap DrgonBox 4 heres one buy it now for 39.99$ on ebay and theres also one for 40.00$http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAGONBALL-Z-DR ... 19cbd4c8f5
It's $44.99 at Rightstuf.

I'd rather get it from there than some shady seller on eBay, but that's just me.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:58 pm

I was thinking of buying the Dragon Box, but people say the new BluRay level sets are much better, so i may end up buying those instead.
Makes me wonder if a BluRay Dragon Box is possible.
One World. 🌐 🕊

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:12 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:I was thinking of buying the Dragon Box, but people say the new BluRay level sets are much better, so i may end up buying those instead.
Much better? Really? Not just better, but MUCH better? Who's been saying that?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:23 pm

People on YouTube on those 'comparison videos'. I mean there are people that prefer the Dragon Box, and there are people that prefer the Level sets, but in my opinion, i prefer the level sets.
One World. 🌐 🕊

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:33 pm

I think the Blu-rays are better color-wise, but not much else makes them better than the Dragon Boxes.
So mondo lame.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:35 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:I think the Blu-rays are better color-wise, but not much else makes them better than the Dragon Boxes.
They're sharper and they sure more image area? Honestly, I think they look far superior.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:They're sharper and they sure more image area? Honestly, I think they look far superior.
I don't really like the fact the Blu-rays don't have Japanese Opening/Ending credits and title cards. I know it's not a big loss, but I would much rather prefer credits. It is true, they look amazing, but I'm nitpicky about that kind of thing.
So mondo lame.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:47 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:They're sharper and they sure more image area? Honestly, I think they look far superior.
I don't really like the fact the Blu-rays don't have Japanese Opening/Ending credits and title cards. I know it's not a big loss, but I would much rather prefer credits. It is true, they look amazing, but I'm nitpicky about that kind of thing.
Eh, I don't really care about those types of things. I care more about the better video.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 pm

I find the comparisons to be 100% completely subjective color-wise. In fact, the BRs look way too dark in my opinion (It just looks worse with the brightness turned up). Plus while some people bitch about the pinkness on the DBs, the BRs have a yellowness about them (Raditz), that's less than "natural".
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:I don't really like the fact the Blu-rays don't have Japanese Opening/Ending credits and title cards. I know it's not a big loss, but I would much rather prefer credits. It is true, they look amazing, but I'm nitpicky about that kind of thing.
As am I.

While I admit that the colors are faded and that the footage is constrained by DVD compression, I still personally feel that the Dragon Boxes are an overall superior product in terms of content. Also, since the the DB series was never even intended to be released on DVD, seeing it in HD on Blu-ray doesn't really seem worth spending money on yet another release of the same show, even if the Blu-rays had the complete Japanese content.

However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see the series in its true colors at some point...

Inspired by Metalwario64's awesome color corrections in past threads, I've been practicing color adjustment in Photoshop Elements, so in the future, I could just do my own color correction. Sure, it still wouldn't be HD, but (read second paragraph), and sure it would be a lot of work, but hey, sometimes in life, you've gotta do work to get what you want, right?
-Joey

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:13 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:I was thinking of buying the Dragon Box, but people say the new BluRay level sets are much better, so i may end up buying those instead.
What's the point? Even IF the Dragon Box comes to Blu-ray that still doesn't mean its going to look better than the Level sets. Because the Dragon Box hasn't been remastered into HD at all. Sure you can remaster it from the DVD, but it wouldn't look as good. Where as the Level sets use the actual 16mm film to remaser the series. You have to keep in mind, the Dragon Box has an 8 or 9 year old video transfer. Even Toei would probably do a complete remastering instead of using the old Dragon Box transfer for Blu-ray.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:21 pm

CyberpunkCentral wrote:
What's the point? Even IF the Dragon Box comes to Blu-ray that still doesn't mean its going to look better than the Level sets. Because the Dragon Box hasn't been remastered into HD at all. Sure you can remaster it from the DVD, but it wouldn't look as good. Where as the Level sets use the actual 16mm film to remaser the series. You have to keep in mind, the Dragon Box has an 8 or 9 year old video transfer. Even Toei would probably do a complete remastering instead of using the old Dragon Box transfer for Blu-ray.
The master used for the Levels is just as old if not older. It's the same master they used for the Orange Bricks. Which we know is at least 6 years old. Also, the Orange Brick master stems from a master that's even older. The Level masters used are at least 3rd generation.

I'm sure Mike can clarify this. (I'd actually really like to know the specifics.)

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:23 pm

It's actually a newer film master, since the Dragon Boxes are the generation zeros, which are the originals. That doesn't really mean much, but I thought I should point it out.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:It's actually a newer film master, since the Dragon Boxes are the generation zeros, which are the originals. That doesn't really mean much, but I thought I should point it out.
It referring to which?

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Craddle wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:
The master used for the Levels is just as old if not older. It's the same master they used for the Orange Bricks. Which we know is at least 6 years old. Also, the Orange Brick master stems from a master that's even older. The Level masters used are at least 3rd generation.

I'm sure Mike can clarify this. (I'd actually really like to know the specifics.)
I know that. I'm talking about going back to the original 16mm film instead of using the same DVD transfer for Blu-ray.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Craddle wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:It's actually a newer film master, since the Dragon Boxes are the generation zeros, which are the originals. That doesn't really mean much, but I thought I should point it out.
It referring to which?
The Blu-Rays use newer film, technically.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:42 pm

CyberpunkCentral wrote:
Craddle wrote:
CyberpunkCentral wrote:

I know that. I'm talking about going back to the original 16mm film instead of using the same DVD transfer for Blu-ray.
Clearly you don't. You just said the Levels used the original 16mm film. The "I know that" response makes no sense. I'm just trying to point out that the Orange Brick masters, which is what they used for the Levels, did not use the original 16mm film as you said. It used the Orange Brick masters. And the Dragon Box masters are only a couple years older.
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Craddle wrote:
It referring to which?
The Blu-Rays use newer film, technically.
True. Newer isn't always better however. When it comes to film.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 pm

You folks are confusing yourselves AND me. What's "newer"...? I dont think you're grasping this.

For the Dragon Boxes, Toei and Pony Canyon digitally scanned the actual, original, rawest film masters they had. These had been placed in cold storage to preserve them as best as possible. As far as we know, the digital scan and remastering process was only done in standard definition (480p).

For the orange bricks, FUNimation obtained SOME type of film from Toei. It wasn't the legitimate masters. It's not like Toei sent them the same physical film they used from cold storage. They were copies. Copies of copies? Of copies of copies of copies? We don't know. Likely third generation. Second at best. And how long were they sitting around and in what condition? No clue. These were digitally scanned in high definition (1080p) by Franko's Studio Post & Tranfer and kept for some dirty lovin'... the kind that no-one ever deserves. All for a lovely downscale where you would never want to see it in its natural HD state in a million years.

This year, FUNimation used that *exact same film* (no, they did NOT get a second copy of the series on film; I had this confirmed) to do the "Level" Blu-ray sets. They redid the entire process, though it sounds like they at least had a digital transfer in HD (1080p) post-film, pre-Franko-altering. So they basically jumped into Alternate 1985 right here. Except 1985b is actually awesome and Biff is dead and Marty has seven Jeeps.

So yeah, FUNimation's film stock is "newer", but copying film to film creates extra "damage", basically.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote: This year, FUNimation used that *exact same film* (no, they did NOT get a second copy of the series on film; I had this confirmed) to do the "Level" Blu-ray sets. They redid the entire process, though it sounds like they at least had a digital transfer in HD (1080p) post-film, pre-Franko-altering. So they basically jumped into Alternate 1985 right here. Except 1985b is actually awesome and Biff is dead and Marty has seven Jeeps.

So yeah, FUNimation's film stock is "newer", but copying film to film creates extra "damage", basically.
Thank you. :D

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Craddle wrote:Clearly you don't. You just said the Levels used the original 16mm film. The "I know that" response makes no sense. I'm just trying to point out that the Orange Brick masters, which is what they used for the Levels, did not use the original 16mm film as you said. It used the Orange Brick masters. And the Dragon Box masters are only a couple years older.
No, you're completely misunderstanding me once again. I never said the actual original 16mm film masters. Just 16mm film. Copies that FUNimation uses for their releases. Also, I'm not talking about the masters used from the Dragon Box. I'm saying don't upconvert the DVD to 1080p for Blu-ray like a lot of anime releases. Instead do a brand new remaster for the format.