Does anyone have ドクタースランプDVD-BOX "SLUMP THE BOX 90's"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Does anyone have ドクタースランプDVD-BOX "SLUMP THE BOX 90's"?

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:26 pm

So does anyone own the box?

Toranks

Post by Toranks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:03 pm

I have found this web that talks about this Box:
http://prw.kyodonews.jp/open/release.do?r=200712213865
It is in japanese. If you don't speak japanese you must use a translator :lol:

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Toranks wrote:I have found this web that talks about this Box:
http://prw.kyodonews.jp/open/release.do?r=200712213865
It is in japanese. If you don't speak japanese you must use a translator :lol:
Well it sure doesn't say much. It just gives an overview of Dr. Slump. It did make reference to Arale's appearance in Dragonball, so that was kind of cool.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:27 am

DanielGClapp wrote:This is one of those series that seriously needs to be dubbed and released in the U.S.
If you think about it there are a lot of early anime that really need and deserve to be properly dubbed and released in english speaking countries but probably won't, while we're on the topic of english Dr. Slump believe it or not Harmony Gold actually tried to dub Dr. Slump around the same time they worked on dubbing Dragon Ball (I think it was around the same time so if i'm wrong please feel free to correct me) but stoped after the first episode if memory serves me right for the exact same reason they stopped Dragon Ball lackluster response and a major lack of interest which is a shame because HG actually did a decent job with DB (for it's time mind you) and might've done the same with Dr. Slump I can't say for sure as i've yet to see the HG dub of Dr. Slump.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:56 am

Dr. Slump is from the early 80s, and looks the part. It's a very long, badly paced, primarily episodic series about poop. It's a series the online "anime community" ignores so much there's never even been a proper attempt at fansubbing it. Licensing is expensive (it's a highly regarded series in Japan), and dubbing is not cheap.
So who's going to buy enough of these releases that it will actually be worth doing?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:04 am

Adamant wrote:Dr. Slump is from the early 80s, and looks the part.

So a lot of early anime are like that there's really not a whole lot that can be done about it
Adamant wrote:It's a very long, badly paced, primarily episodic series about poop. It's a series the online "anime community" ignores so much there's never even been a proper attempt at fansubbing it.
That's weird you'd think that since Dr. Slump was made by Akira Toryama like Dragon Ball that someone would've been willing to fansub it since it's a work by Akira Toryama, then again I don't think many people outside Japan gave the series a fair chance at all but that's just my thoughts though.
Adamant wrote:Licensing is expensive (it's a highly regarded series in Japan), and dubbing is not cheap.
Of course licensing and dubbing anime is expensive but thats always been the case though so no matter if a series is highly regarded or not when you try to localize a series in another country it's gonna cost a lot of money no matter what you do.
Adamant wrote:So who's going to buy enough of these releases that it will actually be worth doing?
You never know if you play your cards just right you might be able to get almost everone to buy it personally if localizing Dr. Slump was up to me i'd try testing the waters by dubbing the second series first since it's more recent and only had 74 episodes whereas the original is older and had 243 episodes and if that works out then go ahead and work on the original series and let's not forget that times have changed so it might actually work if someone would just try it and put enough effort into it.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 am

superrayman3 wrote: So a lot of early anime are like that there's really not a whole lot that can be done about it
And how many of these other early anime do you see getting licensed?

superrayman3 wrote:That's weird you'd think that since Dr. Slump was made by Akira Toryama like Dragon Ball that someone would've been willing to fansub it since it's a work by Akira Toryama, then again I don't think many people outside Japan gave the series a fair chance at all but that's just my thoughts though.
The vast majority of the online "anime community" doesn't like stuff that's more than a couple years old at most, and also tends to see Toriyama as "that guy who made that Deebeezee shit I watched when I was 8".
superrayman3 wrote: Of course licensing and dubbing anime is expensive but thats always been the case though so no matter if a series is highly regarded or not when you try to localize a series in another country it's gonna cost a lot of money no matter what you do.
...which is why companies tend to license stuff they think will sell enough to make up for the cost involved. That would be my point. Highly regarded series are going to be more expensive to license, though, since the licensees will demand more money for them.
superrayman3 wrote: let's not forget that times have changed so it might actually work if someone would just try it and put enough effort into it.
The main way "times have changed" is that people have even less interest in stuff that's not the newest and flashiest than ever. Things that are both old and lack nostalgia value won't sell.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:17 am

Adamant wrote:Dr. Slump is from the early 80s, and looks the part. It's a very long, badly paced, primarily episodic series about poop. It's a series the online "anime community" ignores so much there's never even been a proper attempt at fansubbing it. Licensing is expensive (it's a highly regarded series in Japan), and dubbing is not cheap.
So who's going to buy enough of these releases that it will actually be worth doing?
I've seen the first twelve episodes of Dr. Slump dubbed in Castellano (Spanish) and wish I'd have more because I really liked it a lot.

There were also subtitles with Japanese Audio but for once a dub, quality one, in fact. If FUNimation wanted, they'd probably be able to do it rather than Dragon Ball Z all the freakin' time!! :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Well, I'm translating the first 12 episodes of Dr. Slump and Arale-chan via fansubs. Just PM me.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:27 pm

I think I heard a while ago that Dr. Slump was dubbed and released on television, but that's it. It's supposedly lost in time and space with no home release. That's just what I heard, I don't know if it's true.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:31 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:I think I heard a while ago that Dr. Slump was dubbed and released on television, but that's it. It's supposedly lost in time and space with no home release. That's just what I heard, I don't know if it's true.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NPMTJ833
This should be enjoyable for you.
Mod, remove link if necessary.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:10 pm

That's surprisingly decent, actually.

(but really, someone having a grenade explode in their mouth needs to be cut? Did they butcher Looney Tunes and To & Jerry cartoons back when this pilot got made, too?)

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:52 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:I think I heard a while ago that Dr. Slump was dubbed and released on television, but that's it. It's supposedly lost in time and space with no home release. That's just what I heard, I don't know if it's true.
Your refering to the Harmony Gold pilot episode (episode 1 of Dr. Slump) which was the only episode to ever be dubbed in english and sadly like the HG dub of the 5 pilot episodes of Dragon Ball the pilot episode of Dr. Slump was never officially released on home video making those episodes EXTREMELY RARE AND HARD AS HELL TO FIND.
Pokewhiz7 wrote:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NPMTJ833
This should be enjoyable for you.
Mod, remove link if necessary.
Thats the one Harmony Gold's Dub of the first and only Episode of Dr. Slump to be dubbed into english thanks for posting Pokewhiz7 now let's see if HG gave Dr. Slump the same treatment as they did Dragon Ball.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm saddened only the first episode was dubbed, I actually liked the dub judging from this one.

Thank you very much, Pokewhiz9. I didn't know an English dub for Dr. Slump existed. :D
Last edited by dbboxkaifan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Really? I was under the impression that more than that were dubbed.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm saddened only the first episode was dubbed, I actually liked the dub judging from this one.

Thank you very much, Pokewhiz9. I didn't know an English dub for Dr. Slump existed. :D
Yes, thanks a lot. Besides Harmony Gold's dub, Funimation also dubbed the 2 Dr. Slump episodes in the original Dragon Ball. A very nice find indeed.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm

While I appreciate very much this pilot episode of Dr. Slump dubbed in English, I'm not too happy that they've turned it from a 21min ep to 16min, meaning they probably did cut quite a lot of stuff unfortunately. :?

I dunno why, it's not like it was offensive (Arale naked, removed? / I've not seen it completely yet) or anything.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:While I appreciate very much this pilot episode of Dr. Slump dubbed in English, I'm not too happy that they've turned it from a 21min ep to 16min, meaning they probably did cut quite a lot of stuff unfortunately. :?

I dunno why, it's not like it was offensive (Arale naked, removed? / I've not seen it completely yet) or anything.
There's a quick cut when Arale puts a grenade in Senbei's mouth to wake him (the dub rewrites it to be some spicy pepper or whatever), and there's a long scene missing at the very beginning, where Senbei goes to buy Arale clothes, but can't bring himself to just walk into the store to buy panties... so he buys a full set of woman's clothes (which ends up being a school uniform), and dresses up in drag to shop underwear safely. It's hilarious stuff, and there's nothing really that objectionable about it.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Adamant wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:While I appreciate very much this pilot episode of Dr. Slump dubbed in English, I'm not too happy that they've turned it from a 21min ep to 16min, meaning they probably did cut quite a lot of stuff unfortunately. :?

There's a quick cut when Arale puts a grenade in Senbei's mouth to wake him (the dub rewrites it to be some spicy pepper or whatever), and there's a long scene missing at the very beginning, where Senbei goes to buy Arale clothes, but can't bring himself to just walk into the store to buy panties... so he buys a full set of woman's clothes (which ends up being a school uniform), and dresses up in drag to shop underwear safely. It's hilarious stuff, and there's nothing really that objectionable about it.
disregarding both of these cuts looks like HG did a great job dubbing this by 80's standards it's actually a shame that HG couldn't successfully bring either Dr. Slump or Dragon Ball to america because they had the tallent and ability to make great dubs they just had the wrong way to approach marketing either series.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Off-topic, but is there any site with a lot Dr. Slump information? Something like a wiki? Any language, I'll Google-translate -it.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.