Skin Tones & Coloring Questions/Discussion (DBGT)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Skin Tones & Coloring Questions/Discussion (DBGT)

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:48 am

I am watching it right now and Goku does not look his normal skin color, but (rather) much darker like he has a tan. It is very distracting and annoying. Oh how I wish they would Dragon Box(-ize) this!!! Is this the (way it was in the) season sets or was he considerably darker in color in the R4 (R2?) Dragon Box releases? :/

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Wow just how bad are the GT season sets

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:57 am

That tan is standard for Goku's GT design.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:59 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:I am watching it right now and goku does not look his normal skin color but much darker like he has a tan. It is very distracting and annoying oh how I wish they would dragon box this!!! Is this the season sets or was he considerably darker in color in the R4 Dragon Box releases :/
Hate to break it to ya; Goku is tan on my Dragon Box GT set. He's just not blurry on the Dragon Box.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:11 am

The only main issues with the Season Sets are they are blurry, "ghosting" occurs, no Japanese title cards and no next episode previews. Other than that, they are fine. Not really "bad."
You must have faith in who you are.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:22 am

Goku is tan in GT because he is "supposed" to be tan in general. A lot of artwork from Toriyama depicts the pure blooded Saiyans as darker than most of the main human characters, though the man is not free of errors, of course. lol So blame DB and Z for getting it "wrong"...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:39 am

FUNi's GT masters have almost exactly the same colours as those on the DBox. I think they should improve the sound quality of the Japanese audio track before they do something with the footage.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:42 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Goku is tan in GT because he is "supposed" to be tan in general. A lot of artwork from Toriyama depicts the pure blooded Saiyans as darker than most of the main human characters, though the man is not free of errors, of course. lol So blame DB and Z for getting it "wrong"...
Doesn't he lose the tan as a Super Saiyan 4?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:48 am

Saiga wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Goku is tan in GT because he is "supposed" to be tan in general. A lot of artwork from Toriyama depicts the pure blooded Saiyans as darker than most of the main human characters, though the man is not free of errors, of course. lol So blame DB and Z for getting it "wrong"...
Yeah, but your statement has nothing to do with what he said. That only means that Saiyans' skin becomes brighter when they become SSJ4.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:05 am

kei17 wrote:
Saiga wrote:
Yeah, but your statement has nothing to do with what he said. That only means that Saiyans' skin becomes brighter when they become SSJ4.
Seemed more like it was just an inconsistency to me, never thought of it like that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:41 am

Saiga wrote:Seemed more like it was just an inconsistency to me, never thought of it like that.
I guess it could be viewed as one, but then again, I guess it can't. Unlike the golden haired stages, the form changes the users entire body instead of just a couple of traits. In addition to the fur, shaggy hair, eye color changes and eyeliner, Goku returns to adult size, Vegeta is like 6 inches taller in the form, both change clothing, etc. So, like all the other trait changes, Goku gaining pale skin could just be part of the transformation. After all, it doesn't share very much in common with his other forms.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:I am watching it right now and goku does not look his normal skin color but much darker like he has a tan. It is very distracting and annoying oh how I wish they would dragon box this!!! Is this the season sets or was he considerably darker in color in the R4 Dragon Box releases :/
Son's skin body colour is variable.

Toriyama never said which skin colour was Son's, so there's a bunch of different looking versions.

Personally, I prefer them with white skin body colour.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am

The R4 zone had Dragon Box releases?

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:51 pm

sangofe wrote:
The R4 zone had Dragon Box releases?
I'm assuming he meant R2*.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:01 pm

This > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAGON-BALL-Z ... 0859368168

Dragon Box R1 is also encoded for R4? I didn't know 'bout this.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:31 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:This > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAGON-BALL-Z ... 0859368168

Dragon Box R1 is also encoded for R4? I didn't know 'bout this.
As far as I know, the Dragon Boxes (and subsequent single disc releases) are Region 2 only.

FUNimation's Z and GT season sets are Regions 1, 2 and 4. Their Dragon Ball sets are 1 and 4.

EDIT: D'oh! FUNimation's Dragon Boxes, duh lol. Yes, 1 and 4 :P
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:36 pm

It makes sense for Goku to be tan, given the amount of time he spends outside training.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:43 pm

penguintruth wrote:It makes sense for Goku to be tan, given the amount of time he spends outside training.
Uub's village doesn't sound like it's in the North Pole, and God's Palace above the clouds gets nothing but sunlight. 5 straight years of that will give you one hell of a tan indeed :P
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:04 pm

But i watched the episode preview from the dragon box and he is tan but not so ridiculously tan like the season sets!! I swear they are a different color can somebody post a comparison between the dbox and GT's season sets??? Yes I mistyped R2 not R4 :/

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:09 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Yes I mistyped R2 not R4 :/
Dang, for a second I thought I was loosing it. That changes the discussion a bit. lol

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:48 pm

dragondyle wrote:The only main issues with the Season Sets are they are blurry, "ghosting" occurs, no Japanese title cards and no next episode previews. Other than that, they are fine. Not really "bad."
Ghosting occurs? I can't think of a single instance outside of the TV special (which had the same problem on its single release). It's really bad there and nearly unwatchable.

Which, actually, I have a question about. I've heard the TV special wasn't remastered on the GT Dragon Box either. Does it also have ghosting problems? Are there no copies without it, and what caused it in the first place? (I think NTSC to PAL conversion can cause this, right? But I don't know what would've done so here.)