The Harmony Gold Dub & Broadcast Audio Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The pilot episodes of HG's dub of DB might not exist

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Let's keep our fingers crossed. :)
I've got my fingers crossed.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:58 pm

lol at no one wanting to upload any of it.
Maron is stacked!!

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:49 pm

She has dragon ball from it's original run in the 80s, but not the harmony gold dub. She said she lost that after high school in 2003.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Android 50 wrote:lol at no one wanting to upload any of it.
Please try to make more constructive posts than this. If you don't really have anything to add, you don't really have anything to add.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Think of it this way, there's many people with copies of dragonball's original run but how many have taken the time to upload it? Nun, zip, nadda with the exception of Key17 and the other guy that I forget.

I'm not doing it cause I don't want to ruin the tapes, I no longer care for it's picture just it's sound. It's no more than storing the original audio which I have in a vault(not an ordinary vault either).

If I mess up just one episode, where am I going to get another copy? My family/cousins would be pissed as we spent a decade recording that!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:07 pm

I have my fingers crossed as well. I think anything is possible, I mean, Pokewhiz7 uploaded the supposedly lost airing of the Dr. Slump dub with DanielGClapp restoring the dub forever with the DVD-Box footage.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:10 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:I have my fingers crossed as well. I think anything is possible.
^^
Last edited by Pokewhiz7 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
Think of it this way, there's many people with copies of dragonball's original run but how many have taken the time to upload it? Nun, zip, nadda with the exception of Key17 and the other guy that I forget.

I'm not doing it cause I don't want to ruin the tapes, I no longer care for it's picture just it's sound. It's no more than storing the original audio which I have in a vault(not an ordinary vault either).

If I mess up just one episode, where am I going to get another copy? My family/cousins would be pissed as we spent a decade recording that!
I understand. I wasn't trying to pressure anyone. Just thought it was weird no one wanted to post a clip of a copy but now that you've explained why i really can't say anything.
Maron is stacked!!

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:I'm not doing it cause I don't want to ruin the tapes, I no longer care for it's picture just it's sound. It's no more than storing the original audio which I have in a vault(not an ordinary vault either).

Isn't there a few VCR & DVD systems out there that alows a user to copy a VHS to a DVD? If thats the case then all that would have to be done is copy those VHS tapes to DVD which IDT would ruin the tape and that could be a win/win situation for everyone because then the tapes can be stored and the copied video from the dvd could be uploaded for all to see. Just thought id share that tidbit with everyone.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:42 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:

I can understand not wanting to upload copyrighted material (though isn't there a time limit or something? Especially since HG doesn't own the rights anymore) but if you actually do want to keep copies for yourself wouldn't it be better to make copies? I would think digital copies stored on a computer, multiple discs, internet storage, etc, would be saver than keeping it on one old home made VHS. Even if nothing happens to the tape don't those tapes degrade over time even if they're just sitting around?

Daimo-Rukiri

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:57 am

dario03 wrote:
Daimo-Rukiri wrote:

I can understand not wanting to upload copyrighted material (though isn't there a time limit or something? Especially since HG doesn't own the rights anymore) but if you actually do want to keep copies for yourself wouldn't it be better to make copies? I would think digital copies stored on a computer, multiple discs, internet storage, etc, would be saver than keeping it on one old home made VHS. Even if nothing happens to the tape don't those tapes degrade over time even if they're just sitting around?
I have 30 year old tapes that work perfectly, but I'll have to digitize them eventually..

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:09 am

dario03 wrote:
I can understand not wanting to upload copyrighted material (though isn't there a time limit or something? Especially since HG doesn't own the rights anymore)
Actualy I think your technicaly right about that, since HG doesn't own the rights to DB anymore couldn't their dub be considered public domain?

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:35 am

superrayman3 wrote:
dario03 wrote:
I can understand not wanting to upload copyrighted material (though isn't there a time limit or something? Especially since HG doesn't own the rights anymore)
Actualy I think your technicaly right about that, since HG doesn't own the rights to DB anymore couldn't their dub be considered public domain?
I'm not really sure but I did a quick check. AFAIK HG doesn't own any rights to Dragonball in America anymore but others do so maybe you still can't distribute it. And there could also be a time frame for it as well. Kind of like how even if you do own rights to something it is supposed to only be for a limited time but they just keep extending that time frame. The "Mickey Mouse Protection Act" made it so that for a corporate creation its either 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, but I think thats for new creations and don't know how that works with dubs of somebody elses work.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:52 am

superrayman3 wrote:Actualy I think your technicaly right about that, since HG doesn't own the rights to DB anymore couldn't their dub be considered public domain?
That's... not how copyright and intellectual property law works.

Short answer, no.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:Actualy I think your technicaly right about that, since HG doesn't own the rights to DB anymore couldn't their dub be considered public domain?
That's... not how copyright and intellectual property law works.

Short answer, no.
I'm guessing Toei own the rights?

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:34 am

VegettoEX wrote:That's... not copyright and intellectual propery laws works.

Short answer, no.
Well since the HG dub cant be considered public domain I'm pretty sure it could still safely uploaded under the "Fair Use Law" since in this case it would be for educational and historical purposes.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:48 am

That's a huge stretch.

It basically boils down to, "I don't have it and I want it!"... and no court is going to consider that "fair use". There is no significant historical value to a random dub of a random TV show worth preserving to anyone other than folks -- like all of us -- who just want to whine on the Internet about it.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46 am

I can understand not being able to stream like an entire episode without permission but surely a small clip or two wouldn't hurt?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:34 am

VegettoEX wrote:That's a huge stretch.

It basically boils down to, "I don't have it and I want it!"...
and you think i'm the only one who wants this dub? cause I'm sure a lot of DB fans want it and even if I was at least i'm willing to say so.
VegettoEX wrote:and no court is going to consider that "fair use".
Considering the fact that the dub was only test marketed and was never released to the general public I think the courts would say otherwise.
VegettoEX wrote:There is no significant historical value to a random dub of a random TV show worth preserving to anyone other than folks -- like all of us -- who just want to whine on the Internet about it.
Just because
that's how "YOU" feel about the dub, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:54 am

You're acting like I don't love the series and don't also want every single last aspect of it to be mine, mine, mine, me, tooooooooooo!

I dunno. Maybe because I've actually received letters about intellectual property/content. Maybe because I actively follow court battles over similar things. I don't want this to come across as holier-than-thou, and I admit that it treads in that direction... but I honestly think I'm being far more realistic about it than you are.

You don't seem to understand the legal precedent over this kind of stuff, and aren't stepping back to evaluate it as anything other than an emotional thing. You're falling into too many traps that way.