Any Episodes/Movies/Specials you can't watch?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Any Episodes/Movies/TV Specials you can't watch?

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 pm

The Path to Power! That Movie was so boring when I first watched it back in 2008 (I think around then) that I wanted to fall asleep during it. The movie felt like it kept dragging on and on and on. I kept checking to see how much time was left on my PS3 while watching it.

It didn't help that I didn't like the art style and that the whole thing was basically a retelling of Dragon Ball up until the Red Ribbon arc (if I remember correctly).

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:40 pm

GT. That is all.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:13 am

I find the first 10 or so episodes of GT hard to watch. It just feels like a chore to sit through.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:17 am

The latter part of the Freeza saga. Its only alittle tolerable for me to sit through a good 5 episodes before getting bored of it if.I can only watch more than that if I haven't watched the saga in a few years. Otherwise I can't sit through it. I usually just fast forward to my favorite parts.
Maron is stacked!!

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:29 am

The only thing DB related that I wouldn't watch again I have to say is the Bio Broly movie. I don't know what it is, I just don't like it at all. Some parts of Dragon ball can drag a bit sometimes, but I could still sit down and watch and enjoy it and it's funny as well!

As for GT, although it gets a lot of hate and some things in it don't make much sense, I still enjoy sitting down and watching the series. It's so much better with the Japanese music by the way.

So yeah... Bio Broly is a no go for me.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:47 am

BlackCatScott wrote:It's so much better with the Japanese music by the way.
I agree with this. It's the reason why I can only watch GT in Blue Water dub

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:49 pm

NeoKING wrote:I can't watch Dragon Ball. It's just boring for me. And I'm not a fan of the humor, either.
Sure, but there is still a ton of great action and drama in the series, especially in the later Tenkaichi Budokais (vs. Tenshinhan, vs. Piccolo).

There are some filler episodes in DBGT I just can't stand.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:There are some filler episodes in DBGT I just can't stand.
...There is no filler in GT. It's an entirely original product from Toei.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Saiyajin no Tatsujin wrote:There are some filler episodes in DBGT I just can't stand.
You could argue the entire thing is filler.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:57 pm

I can watch anything DB related. Only 3 things I can't staand watching:
1) Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins
2) Dragon Ball: Son Goku fights, Son Goku wins!
3) The English dub.

As for the Greek dub, I view it as a funny parody. :lol:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Gonstead wrote:Are there any Episodes/Movies/TV Specials you can't watch due to certain reasons?

Honestly, I really can't watch The History of Trunks. It just has this really depressing atmosphere that just stops me from trying to watch it. I know that's kind of what the theme for the TV special had going for it but it's just really not enjoyable to me compared to the first time I watched it where I was just itching to watch more DBZ.

What about you?
Watch it with DBZ episode 194 "Free the future" straight after. Pretend like it's a whole movie with an explosive conclusion. :mrgreen:

I can't watch the last two Broly movies because of everyone in it with their comedy and their attitude. Not my cup of tea.

VEGETA_DTX
Beyond Newbie

Post by VEGETA_DTX » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Well I can watch but it certainly hurts me to watch the new Episode Of Bardock - such an amazing idea and story! #verything is perfect, except the art style. It is just so bad for my taste :( I wish it was drawn the way old Bardock special was drawn and the way most of DBZ episodes, specials and movies were drawn.

For some reason I went crazy for a second and wanted to mention Fox's "Dragon Ball evolution" but then I Remembered "Hey! what does that blasphemy of a movie has to do with Dragon Ball franchise...!?". Hmmm how weird of me...I must have been too much in front of the PC today :P
DESTROY ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMROjUPpgg
http://vegetareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/bardock.html

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:13 pm

For me, it would be Dragon Ball Evolution (only watched once and am already scarred for life) and any of FUNimation's inhouse dub that isn't Kai. I've never really had a problem with any of the episodes & movies themselves, maybe a little with the early Saga of Goku episodes and first two Broli movies.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:50 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
You could argue the entire thing is filler.
Do you know what filler means? If GT is entirely original, then there's nothing to "fill" in. As in, the DB anime was adapted from the manga, but to prevent it from running ahead of the manga, they had to "fill" the time with original stuff.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Do you know what filler means? If GT is entirely original, then there's nothing to "fill" in. As in, the DB anime was adapted from the manga, but to prevent it from running ahead of the manga, they had to "fill" the time with original stuff.
You know filler also means material used to extend the length of something such as a movie, right? That's, arguably, what the entirety of GT is doing to DB.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I can't watch any Broli movies.

Because Broli is a terrible character.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Do you know what filler means? If GT is entirely original, then there's nothing to "fill" in. As in, the DB anime was adapted from the manga, but to prevent it from running ahead of the manga, they had to "fill" the time with original stuff.
I agree, I wouldn't consider GT filler at all.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:08 pm

The entire "Z" third of the series is just boring as hell to me at this point. I can't even bring myself to watch a single episode of it anymore.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:11 am

The Broly movies are all pretty bad. I can't really watch those, because I find Broly unbearable. Other than that I could probably watch anything.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:19 am

I really cannot stand the fake Namek filler it is completely nonsensical and those two alien guys irritate me, not to mention the fact that I first watched the episode when I was 11 and for a while I actually thought that this was going to be the Namek saga, to my relief it wasn't.

Also there are just lots of scenes in GT which make me cringe, like Base Goku kicking the ass out of Baby Super Saiyan Gohan and Goten, Super Saiyan Goku keeping up with Super 17 even though all the other fighters in their Super Saiyan forms literally could not even touch him, the worst one of all, which I really can't sit through, is base Goku vs Freeza and Cell, this fight just shows you everything that is wrong with GT.