Dragon Box FUNimation Survey

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Box FUNimation Survey

Post by Samwize78 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 pm

If we get a new Dragon Box release, I'd expect late summer/early fall, like they did with Z. Even though Kai finishes it's Parts release soon, the re-release sets with the Kikuchi score will be released in the summer. So after all that hype, new Dragon Boxes.

I honestly find it ironic how they go running back to a Dragon Box release after the Blu-ray "suspension".

Brodes_Vegetto

Post by Brodes_Vegetto » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 am

I would love them to release "Dragon Ball" next but in terms of how the survey goes... As well as **If** they take in the numbers seriously. I don't think it will be the next to be givin the Dragon Box treatmen becuase it was the last of the Dragon Ball series to be put out as brick season sets and apart from the people on this discussion board its hard to imagine a huge demand for it.

One silly reason behind my prediction but I hope I'm wrong and they do it right by putting "Dragon Ball" into Dragon Box form next.
Brogetto

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:36 am

At least DB has more demand than GT... Or am I wrong? Do some people really like GT more than DB because it is more similar to Z?
The blue bricks probably would have been released earlier if not for the Kidmark lincense on the first 13 episodes... Another example of when DB came before GT: Funi dubbed it first.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Personally I'm really hoping for a Dragon Ball Dragon Box. I've got the complete green brick of GT and all the Double Features and while, yes, I want to ultimately replace those with proper Dragon Boxes, I don't own Dragon Ball yet and would love to pick that up next.

My question is about what FUNimation might already have. The NEP after Z episode 291 has the preview for GT episode 1, which is where it should be, but the NEP was actually on the Japanese GT box, right? So wouldn't that mean that FUNi already has some sort of access to materials from the GT Dragon Box?
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 pm

I think the Dragon Box digital master has the GT preview at the end of Z 291, and that's how we got it. I think it was actually Toei that altered that and moved it to the GT box. No, Funi didn't go out of their way to buy a 64 episode series from Toei, just to show 30 seconds and not release the rest of it. :P

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Zestanor wrote:I think the Dragon Box digital master has the GT preview at the end of Z 291, and that's how we got it. I think it was actually Toei that altered that and moved it to the GT box. No, Funi didn't go out of their way to buy a 64 episode series from Toei, just to show 30 seconds and not release the rest of it. :P
Ah, got ya. That makes sense, other than TOEI's zany idea to throw it on the GT box.

Nah, I wouldn't suspect FUNi of buying up GT solely for throwing on the NEP, but (if the NEP actually was on material under the GT umbrella) I could see them scooping up GT to toss on the NEP while holding out a bit before releasing GT's own Dragon Box :D
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Haseowolf wrote:Ah, got ya. That makes sense, other than TOEI's zany idea to throw it on the GT box.

Nah, I wouldn't suspect FUNi of buying up GT solely for throwing on the NEP, but (if the NEP actually was on material under the GT umbrella) I could see them scooping up GT to toss on the NEP while holding out a bit before releasing GT's own Dragon Box :D
Well, the DBGT Singles do have all NEPs with its Japanese Audio and English dub.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:13 pm

About the Dragon Box Z's, have they gotten any cheaper or pricier?

I suppose it did drop down a bit, this auction ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/DragonBall-Z-Dr ... _500wt_951 ) has Dragon Box Z Vol. 2 for $86, not as expensive as I've seen here and on other eBay auctions but still not too cheap.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:22 pm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=30&y=27

1-4 are of course the most expensive ones by far. Even 3 is getting rarer by the days. $59 new from amazon, and going from $44 from sellers new. 5-7 are almost surprisingly easy to find and purchase.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:53 am

We did get the DBZ Dragon Box without any sort of survey or prodding by FUNimation...it was just announced out of the blue.

With that in mind, does the fact they want our opinion on further Dragon Boxes imply confidence in the product, or reservation?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:13 am

I, personally, think Dragon Ball has the best chance (Between it and GT, that is) of seeing release first. This is because GT received a complete series bundle relatively-recently, so releasing it again would just be saturating the market similar to the DBZ situation. So... with a GT Dragon Box potentially being a "one and done" type of release, Dragon Ball could be split up evenly into three sets.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:This is because GT received a complete series bundle relatively-recently, so releasing it again would just be saturating the market similar to the DBZ situation.
Except that if it's anything like the Z boxes, it won't be carried at most brick and mortar places, and if you see them online, the info is there at a glance.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:38 pm

So...has anyone heard anything about the results from the quiz?

I'm able to take the quiz as much as i want by just refreshing my history (dont know if that does anything...) so i take it again when ever i can.

I really really want dragonball Dragonbox.

it would be a huge shame and a sad day for dragonball fans if funimatiion decided not to release it or if toei are dicks and wont give them the license.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I'd say at this stage doing the survey probably wouldn't do much difference. I'm sure they've checked it as much as they're going to by now.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:41 pm

That survey link is still valid? I'd thought it would've been offline for months now.

Hope by next year we'll hear something.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 pm

I still say skip the Dragon Box and go on with a HD release instead.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:03 pm

I think Funimation has given up on making their own Blu-rays, so since they don't have the film masters or DB, a possible HD release could only come from Toei. And those would be HD versions of the Dragon Boxes, yay!

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Zestanor wrote:I think Funimation has given up on making their own Blu-rays, so since they don't have the film masters or DB, a possible HD release could only come from Toei. And those would be HD versions of the Dragon Boxes, yay!
Exactly, but not Dragon Boxes to be exact. A new master with some color correction, that would be perfect. Audio wise, never really gave a crap about it. If Toei got rid of the original masters, oh well. If they somehow still have them, perfect throw them in.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:27 pm

I would have loved to buy the Blu-ray sets because imo I think they are the best version of the show for ME!

I prefer the show in English with the Faulconer score (however I do really enjoy the original Japanese score! It's just nice to have options) and imo from what I've seen from the Blu-ray, they looked fantastic considering it was not the original masters and it's a TV show from the 80's/90's.

But.... they got canceled. :(

So I just got the Dragon Box instead since the orange bricks are terrible. Since I have Dragon Box Z the OCD in me has to get the rest of them to complete my collection.

If the Blu-ray ever continues from ep 1-291 then maybe I'll buy it.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
Zestanor wrote:I think Funimation has given up on making their own Blu-rays, so since they don't have the film masters or DB, a possible HD release could only come from Toei. And those would be HD versions of the Dragon Boxes, yay!
Exactly, but not Dragon Boxes to be exact. A new master with some color correction, that would be perfect. Audio wise, never really gave a crap about it. If Toei got rid of the original masters, oh well. If they somehow still have them, perfect throw them in.
Personally, I'd hate for the Dragon Boxes to have their colors altered. In my opinion, the upped Red Levels are part of the appeal.