Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Color Correcting the Dragon Box - 3 Part Spectacular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:I did another YouTube video of color-corrected shots, this time applying color curving and saturation. Just click "attempt #2" in my signature and let me know what you think.
EDIT: It turns out there was some minor artifacting on Goku's neck in the shot with Goku and Piccolo in profile, so I went back in and touched it up.
Though, the dislikes outweighing the likes makes me wonder if there's still something I'm doing wrong. :?
I think the colors are nice. Save the settings to a vcf file. Open that up in a text editor and paste in the results so we can see your settings (and possibly steal them for ourselves :twisted: ).

Also, some artifacts you won't notice moving at 50 mph.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 pm

I used the exact same formula for every shot in the video.

-Color cast removal
-Reds: +10 hue, -5 saturation
-Yellows: +10 saturation
-Greens: -10 hue
-Cyans: +10 hue, +10 saturation, +10 lightness
-Magenta: =10 hue, -5 saturation
-Color curves: -25% shadow brightness, -25% midtone brightness, -12.5% highlight brightness

I used Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 (I know, I'm two versions behind :P ).
-Joey

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:31 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:I used the exact same formula for every shot in the video.

-Color cast removal
-Reds: +10 hue, -5 saturation
-Yellows: +10 saturation
-Greens: -10 hue
-Cyans: +10 hue, +10 saturation, +10 lightness
-Magenta: =10 hue, -5 saturation
-Color curves: -25% shadow brightness, -25% midtone brightness, -12.5% highlight brightness

I used Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 (I know, I'm two versions behind :P ).
When you say +10 and -5, are those the values in AP Elements or VirtualDub? If it's in elements, what's the max and min values (so i know how to scale it to VirtualDub... because saturation in VDub is given a min of 0.00 to a max of 5.12)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 pm

ect5150 wrote:When you say +10 and -5, are those the values in AP Elements or VirtualDub?
Elements. They're the values I used in PSE's hue/saturation tool, found under "adjust color" in "enhance".

ect5150 wrote:If it's in elements, what's the max and min values?
The min and max values in PSE's hue/saturation tool in all three areas (hue, saturation, and lightness) are -180 and +180 respectively.
Last edited by jpdbzrulz4sure on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joey

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:07 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:The min and max values in PSE's hue/saturation tool in all three areas (hue, saturation, and lightness) are -180 and +180 respectively.
When I try to use those values using the tools mentioned in the guide (to use for video, not just stills) I get artifacts out the wazoo! Thanks though.
ect5150

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 pm

ect5150 wrote:Also - for everyone trying this out - try to tackle DBZ episode 34. This is one of the "green sky episodes". I'm having a very difficult time getting the sky to be a nice blue without causing artifacts or have Vegeta's uniform turn purple. I would love to see some others try to tackle this episode and see what the results are.
*snip*
*snip*

The shots that used to be here are crap.

Continue 8 posts down to see better ones.
Last edited by jpdbzrulz4sure on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Joey

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:46 am

Looks great! Krillin's gi is finally orange!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 am

To jpdbzrulz4sure Why hasn't Funimation hired you to do the Blu-rays? :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:20 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:*snips*

Formula for both:
* Remove color cast
* +20 hue in cyan channel
* Replace color - click any still-greenish artifact in sky and adjust hue by +10 at 50 fuzziness
* +5 hue, +10 saturation, and +10 lightness in cyan channel, +10 hue and -5 saturation in red and magenta channels, and +10 saturation in yellow channel
* Color curve - -12.5% shadow brightness and -12.5% in midtone brightness

So, how'd I do? :D
They look great, but Krillin's dougi is a little bit too yellowish. In addition, IIRC, the sky in that episode is slightly more greenish from the beginning.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:26 am

kei17 wrote:They look great, but Krillin's dougi is a little bit too yellowish. In addition, IIRC, the sky in that episode is slightly more greenish from the beginning.
Pretty much my criticism as well. The sky should be more green, as you can tell because the clouds are more green. Also, you could have done more adjusting of the hues of the clouds on the bottom image; you can see a very sharp cyan edge around the clouds.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:34 am

kei17 wrote:They look great, but Krillin's dougi is a little bit too yellowish. In addition, IIRC, the sky in that episode is slightly more greenish from the beginning.
Metalwario64 wrote:Pretty much my criticism as well. The sky should be more green, as you can tell because the clouds are more green. Also, you could have done more adjusting of the hues of the clouds on the bottom image; you can see a very sharp cyan edge around the clouds.
I see. I'll go back and redo them right away.
-Joey

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:36 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote: I see. I'll go back and redo them right away.
Maybe more like this:

I also lowered the cyan by 5 and shifted the sky towards green a bit (don't remember how much, and I probably should have done so a bit further, but oh well). I think you made it just a tad bright.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:44 am

Though I don't have anything referential now, I guess it should be like this:

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:32 am

Okay, how 'bout these?

EDIT: Crap, I made them too green this time. :x
-Joey

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:35 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:EDIT: Crap, I made them too green this time. :x
I dunno about that. But considering how green the clouds are, I think it all fits together really well.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:42 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I dunno about that. But considering how green the clouds are, I think it all fits together really well.
I guess you're right.

But you know what? I don't remember the settings I used! :shock:
-Joey

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:46 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I dunno about that. But considering how green the clouds are, I think it all fits together really well.
I guess you're right.

But you know what? I don't remember the settings I used! :shock:
Uh... Whoops? :lol:

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Uh... Whoops? :lol:
Eh, no biggie. I'll just go through it again tomorrow.

Of course, the reason I forgot them is because I completely disregarded my previous formula for those shots, and restarted from the raw untouched screencaps, and was just so focused on getting the colors right. I know this isn't a contest or anything, but I tend to take on a sort of perfectionist mentality when it comes to these kinds of things.
-Joey

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:44 pm

These screenshots are great, but you guys are doing this in Photoshop (or some other Adobe product), correct? Not a "video" program? We need to target some kind of VirtualDub plugin setting or AVISynth settings so those of use that want to re-encode actually can.

But seriously, those shots look great, so actually take the time to document the settings for us.

If I use the basics, I can get the colors close on my own (as seen here)

BUT!!!! I ALWAYS have very noticeable artifacting in other places of the same video, as seen below. See if you guys can apply your settings to the same scenes and see if you get different results:

Notice the area around the Genki Dama.

Notice the lower portion of the sea.

I can't get several scenes the way they should be all at once. If I get rid of the artifacts, then Vegeta's uniform is purple. If I fix that, then the sky is green again (etc...).

EDIT: Just thinking out loud here. Wouldn't the best place to alter the color cast from each episode be from the eyecatch?
After all, they used the same one through half of the episodes and we know the colors of these through each episodes should be consistent.
ect5150

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:42 pm

-ect5150: The way my guide works is that it applies to video... read the full thing. A lot of what other people are doing is just screenshots. I plan to write a guide on how to conver vcf settings to avisynth scripts later on.

-When you find artifacting like that that adversely effects other parts of the video when you try to correct it, you have to instead do an apply-range in avisynth and apply it only to the segments with the artifacting. It's more a result of us working with mpeg2 video than anything. Which episode are you working on there? I'll take a look if I have time over the weekend and give my suggestions on correcting it.

-As for using the eyecatches, no, because almost all of the elements (OP, ED, Episode, NEP, and Eyecatch) are from completely different elements and usually have different color casts. Meaning that you have to color correct each of these elements individually. BTW, if half of an episode doesn't respond well to color cast removal, it's likely that that portion of the episode may have come from a different film element that's aged differently than the rest of the episode, meaning you have to remove color cast and apply correction differently there as well.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]