Misinformed DBZ fans about its music

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Misinformed DBZ fans about its music

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:37 pm

TOEI Animation / International Dubs:
  • Shunsuke Kikuchi & Kenji Yamamoto (001-291)
Ocean:
  • Shuki Levy & Kussa Mahehi (001-053)
  • Mega Man & Monster Rancher (108-276)
FUNimation:
  • Nathan Johnson (001-067)
  • Faulconer Productions (068-291)
Personally, it doesn't bother me but seeing when someone doesn't credit the right musician I tend to reply and let him/her known who that really was (not always, no, lol), like "Bruce Faulconer" it was actually a group of four people (Morgan, Julius, Bruce and Mike) therefore they were the Faulconer Productions for DBZ.

Then again it's hard not to make a mistake about the DBZ soundtracks because it's never fully detailed correctly, e.g, Burdock's Solid State Scouter is stated "Composed by: Shunsuke Kikuchi" on websites' sources and then here I was informed it's actually produced by Yasunori Iwasaki.

Nonetheless, for the US music it's quite simple and clear, so it shouldn't be complicated (Nathan Johnson / Faulconer Productions).

Question: Did Shuki Levy compose also for the original (Japanese) DBZ series?

P.S.: Correct me if I'm wrong, I'll be happy to know more about the music and composers.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Re: Misinformed DBZ fans about its music

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: Question: Did Shuki Levy compose also for the original (Japanese) DBZ series?
No, he did not. What would give you the impression that he did in the first place?

Also, this should obviously be in the music sub-forum.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Wasn't it recently revealed that Ron Wasserman was responsible for the "Shuki Levy" score?

Also, it seems an inconsistent grouping you've made. You list two production companies, Toei and FUNimation, but then you list Ocean, who never produced their own dub. They did voice work for two company's dubs, which has nothing to do with music, so they really shouldn't be mentioned in this list at all. I think you should rearrange it, lest you perpetuate the misinformation that Ocean and FUNimation dubs are two separate things. In this case, it should be something like:

FUNimation:
[*]Ron Wasserman (credited to Shuki Levy & Kussa Mahehi): 1-53 edited, 1996-1997
[*]Faulconer Productions (credited to Bruce Faulconer): 68-291 (54-276 edited), 1999-2003
[*]Nathan Johnson: 1-67, 2003-2005 (or whenever the redub was done...)

Westwood (I believe...?):
[*]Mega Man and Monster Rancher (although I'd look for composer names): 108-276
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Also, just for the heck of it:

Dragon Ball:
  • Shunsuke Kikuchi, 1-153, Movies 1-3
  • Peter Berring, US, 1-13, Movie 1
  • Akito Tokunaga, Movie 4
Dragon Ball GT:
  • Akito Tokunaga, 1-64, TV Special
  • Mark Menza, US,1-64, TV Special

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Corporate_Nothing wrote:No, he did not. What would give you the impression that he did in the first place?
Amazon had his name next to Kikuchi's. Amazon... :?
Gaffer Tape wrote:Wasn't it recently revealed that Ron Wasserman was responsible for the "Shuki Levy" score?

Also, it seems an inconsistent grouping you've made. You list two production companies, Toei and FUNimation, but then you list Ocean, who never produced their own dub. They did voice work for two company's dubs, which has nothing to do with music, so they really shouldn't be mentioned in this list at all. I think you should rearrange it, lest you perpetuate the misinformation that Ocean and FUNimation dubs are two separate things. In this case, it should be something like:

FUNimation:
  • Ron Wasserman (credited to Shuki Levy & Kussa Mahehi): 1-53 edited, 1996-1997
  • Faulconer Productions (credited to Bruce Faulconer): 68-291 (54-276 edited), 1999-2003
  • Nathan Johnson: 1-67, 2003-2005 (or whenever the redub was done...)
Westwood (I believe...?):
  • Mega Man and Monster Rancher (although I'd look for composer names): 108-276
So Ross composed and Shuki/Kussa were credited? Jeez. What the hell is up with crediting the musicians on Dragon Ball world.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:39 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: So Ron* composed and Shuki/Kussa were credited? Jeez. What the hell is up with crediting the musicians on Dragon Ball world.
In large productions such as Dragon Ball, it's common to have writers and performers create copyrighted context under a work for hire agreement, which in this case means that, although one or many separate composers and musicians may have contributed to a particular piece of music, only Shuki Levy and Kussa Mahehi of Saban Entertainment received credit for the work.

Interestingly enough, you can still find the copyright data for Funimation's first 26 episodes on Dragon Ball Z if you look hard enough.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Corporate_Nothing wrote:No, he did not. What would give you the impression that he did in the first place?
Amazon had his name next to Kikuchi's. Amazon... :?
It's best to not take Amazon listings as 100% accurate, as there have also been instances of other minor errors like 16:9 discs being listed as 4:3.