Fights that should have lasted longer

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Re: Fights that should have lasted longer

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Piccolo vs #17 is really short in the manga. I actually like the anime version of that scene better.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Manga: Piccolo vs. Freeza felt really short, even without taking the anime into account. It really felt like it should've been longer to better showcase how much stronger Piccolo had become, but instead we got a couple of pages of quick exchanges and both of them deciding to not hold back before Freeza transforms into his third form.

SS2 Gokuu vs. SS2 Majin Vegeta was meant to be the two rivals' great rematch, yet it was ridiculously short and we barely saw anything.

Vegetto vs. Boo. I liked the fact that the anime had Vegetto actually fight Boo in base, rather than immediately turn it up to SS and overpower him. They actually didn't give Vegetto too much of an advantage from the beginning, so this is one of the instances of filler that's actually good. And then that scene where Boo generates that massive planet-destroying ball, and Vegetto gets driven into the ground before walking back up and kicking it into space. Then he transforms and shit gets real.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:21 am

Tao Pai Pai versus Goku(second encounter)!

I was not satisfied with the one-sidedness of this fight. Tao Pai Pai was awesome and should not have had to resort to chucking a grenade so suddenly when things weren't going his way. I mean he took out Blue with his tongue for God's sake!
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:38 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
xXInfinite026Xx wrote:Goku vs Freeza!
Let it happen, even with the anime version, 30 episodes where half of it is mindless jabber and cutways is too short. :x
I can actually somewhat understand this. A mjaority of the Freeza fight is more Gohan, Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta trying different tactics on Freeza and failing. It's only when SSJ Goku fights 100% Full Power Freeza where it gets into a full on fight. That's why I like those parts best.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:I can actually somewhat understand this. A mjaority of the Freeza fight is more Gohan, Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta trying different tactics on Freeza and failing. It's only when SSJ Goku fights 100% Full Power Freeza where it gets into a full on fight. That's why I like those parts best.
Isn't this issue already resolved with Kai?

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Trunks vs. King Cold.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:35 pm

SSJ2 Gohan vs Super Perfect Cell.

Cell's death sucked big time in the manga.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:
DBZ Mick wrote:I can actually somewhat understand this. A mjaority of the Freeza fight is more Gohan, Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta trying different tactics on Freeza and failing. It's only when SSJ Goku fights 100% Full Power Freeza where it gets into a full on fight. That's why I like those parts best.
Isn't this issue already resolved with Kai?
I'm not sure, but like I said the only time it actually became a full on fight was when SSJ Goku and Freeza were fighting to the death as Namek died around them.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:17 am

Hades wrote:Trunks vs. King Cold.
perucho1990 wrote:SSJ2 Gohan vs Super Perfect Cell.

Cell's death sucked big time in the manga.
These two. What a waste of potential.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:28 am

Personally, I don't think King Cold had that much potential in the first place. Yeah, he's Freeza's father, but even that kind of demeans the impact of Freeza, since he's apparently even higher than him in the organization, but just runs things in the shadows and no-one even knows him for some reason.

Freeza's return and defeat was just hype for Trunks and the Androids, so what use would there have been dragging out some pointless fight between Trunks and King Cold if we know that Trunks is going to win? It'd just be like Gokuu vs. Freeza all over again.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm

I'd say Goku versus Panputto in the 22nd Budoukai. The first time I saw it I was expecting a good battle but...
So mondo lame.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:31 pm

Piccolo vs. Vegeta. Ok, that never never really happened, but it would still have been a great fight.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:11 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:I'd say Goku versus Panputto in the 22nd Budoukai. The first time I saw it I was expecting a good battle but...
It's Panputto. Against Gokuu. What did you expect? Its entire purpose was to show how strong Gokuu had become, and how weak these renowned world champions were in comparison.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:14 pm

He showed that off pretty well in the preliminaries against Chapa, though. I expected it to be more like the fights between him and Giran or Namu, who were even weaker than Panputto. At the same time, Goku was much weaker than he was at that point. Also, it was a fight in the actual tournament and not a prelim.
So mondo lame.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:57 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:He showed that off pretty well in the preliminaries against Chapa, though. I expected it to be more like the fights between him and Giran or Namu, who were even weaker than Panputto. At the same time, Goku was much weaker than he was at that point. Also, it was a fight in the actual tournament and not a prelim.
Well, Gokuu knocked out Chapa in one attack, so why would he do any worse in Panput?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm saying the fight should have at least been more than Goku winning with one attack. Because we already saw this with Chapa, I think it wasn't necessary to show it again, and so I would have liked that fight to be longer.
So mondo lame.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:48 pm

I agree. We already got the "Goku can beat great masters in one hit" thing. Doing it again against Panputto was just a needless repeat. There was no need to give us the same information again so soon, and it really just wasted a tournament match. Toriyama should have either cut the Chappa fight entirely (so that Goku's easy win against Panputto is a great shock) or actually have a real fight between Goku and Panputto. Doing both was redundant.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Personally, I don't think King Cold had that much potential in the first place. Yeah, he's Freeza's father, but even that kind of demeans the impact of Freeza, since he's apparently even higher than him in the organization, but just runs things in the shadows and no-one even knows him for some reason.

Freeza's return and defeat was just hype for Trunks and the Androids, so what use would there have been dragging out some pointless fight between Trunks and King Cold if we know that Trunks is going to win? It'd just be like Gokuu vs. Freeza all over again.

I agree, why make a fight longer if there is no real purpose for it story wise. The whole reason Trunks even killed Cold was to show off his strength.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Speaking of Panputto, it's a shame Toriyama didn't have Bora fill in his slot. That would have been interesting, I think.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Personally, I don't think King Cold had that much potential in the first place. Yeah, he's Freeza's father, but even that kind of demeans the impact of Freeza, since he's apparently even higher than him in the organization, but just runs things in the shadows and no-one even knows him for some reason.

I agree, why make a fight longer if there is no real purpose for it story wise. The whole reason Trunks even killed Cold was to show off his strength.
Because it could have looked pretty awesome if the fight itself had some pretty good moves. That's what Dragon Ball sometimes lacks.

Besides, Toriyama could have easily made Cold stronger than Freeza (via a transformation or not) and give us a quick but awesome looking fight between the two, which would have made Trunks look even more badass by being able to easily kill Freeza and someone stronger than Freeza just after that without much trouble.