Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Release Out Now!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Orange Bricks - UK Release Out Now!

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm not sure if I'll watch this with the Menza score first or the Japanese score. I have mixed feelings for the Japanese GT score. Some of the tracks I really like but others feel kind of off. The Menza score is just okay from what I've heard of it. It does sound kind of repetitive and generic but maybe I just need to hear more of it to enjoy it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:54 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I'm not sure if I'll watch this with the Menza score first or the Japanese score. I have mixed feelings for the Japanese GT score. Some of the tracks I really like but others feel kind of off. The Menza score is just okay from what I've heard of it. It does sound kind of repetitive and generic but maybe I just need to hear more of it to enjoy it.
I would highly recommend the Japanese score. I was certainly the same as you with a feeling indifference on initial viewings but that all changed on second and third watches. Really enjoyed it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:40 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Maybe a side by side comparison would be easier on the eyes...

Here ya go :)

I can't help but notice how the colors seem to be nigh identical across all three of those... That's rather unexpected. That said the season-set definitely comes off looking the worst, whereas the single seems surprisingly close to the DBox. (Then again that's just a still frame... I do seem to recall from what little I saw of those GT singles that the encoding was far from great and there was a lot of film-damage.)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I'm not sure if I'll watch this with the Menza score first or the Japanese score. I have mixed feelings for the Japanese GT score. Some of the tracks I really like but others feel kind of off. The Menza score is just okay from what I've heard of it. It does sound kind of repetitive and generic but maybe I just need to hear more of it to enjoy it.
I would highly recommend the Japanese score. I was certainly the same as you with a feeling indifference on initial viewings but that all changed on second and third watches. Really enjoyed it.
I have seen GT with the Japanese score a few times in the past with the Blue Water dub and must say I do have some fond memories of the score on the whole. Really I'm just wondering if the Menza score is worth trying as I haven't really heard much of it outside of the movies. Is it any better or worse in GT than in the movies?

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 pm

90sDBZ wrote: I have seen GT with the Japanese score a few times in the past with the Blue Water dub and must say I do have some fond memories of the score on the whole. Really I'm just wondering if the Menza score is worth trying as I haven't really heard much of it outside of the movies. Is it any better or worse in GT than in the movies?
I only enjoyed Menza's score for the Super Saiyan 4 Goku vs Baby (Vegeta) fight. Nothing before or after, though. -yawn-
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

TestDemo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TestDemo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 pm

You can see DBGT in US English voicecast with both the Menza score and the Tokunaga score on the seasons sets,in addition to the Japanese version, incase anyone wanted to know.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Zavvi have release dates for the two GT sets as well as a release date for 'Part' sets of DBZ. If these are real then MangaUK could make a good bit of money off of these as they would obviously be aimed at kids and could easily be stocked in grocery stores etc.

Here are there release dates and links:

DB GT Season 1- 20th January
DB GT Season 2 - 17th March

DBZ Part sets - All 17th February
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Not that I'd buy them myself, but those parts are a great idea. I really do hope they end up in random corner shops and things rather than just film places, that would be a big step up for the exposure of DBZ in the UK.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Have these "parts" been released anywhere else in the world? I wonder if it's just the orange bricks broken down or something different. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the old Funi singles released here although the number of episodes is too much for it to be them. I'm sure the young Kix fans will be happy to buy these regardless.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 pm

It's been confirmed that DB GT season 1 will release on the 20th January.

Zavvi had previously listed this date for the set's release as well as listing 'part' sets for DBZ. We'll have to wait and see if anything comes of this but so far Zavvi have been accurate.
90sDBZ wrote:Have these "parts" been released anywhere else in the world? I wonder if it's just the orange bricks broken down or something different. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the old Funi singles released here although the number of episodes is too much for it to be them. I'm sure the young Kix fans will be happy to buy these regardless.
I don't think so. Madman released a complete collection of DBZ and Walmart had double packs of the orange bricks but I haven't heard of this being released anywhere else. Earlier in the year MangaUK did express interest in releasing the complete collection but it looks like Toei gave them these instead.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi guys, well MangaUK has confirmed via twitter that they are indeed releasing the 'part' sets of the orange bricks. As we already guessed they were intended for supermarkets. Hopefully these get a release in Ireland as well since there's only three HMV's in the country and Dragon Ball needs more exposure.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Solidus wrote:Hi guys, well MangaUK has confirmed via twitter that they are indeed releasing the 'part' sets of the orange bricks. As we already guessed they were intended for supermarkets. Hopefully these get a release in Ireland as well since there's only three HMV's in the country and Dragon Ball needs more exposure.
That's terrible. They should just release one big Orange Brick box and be done with it, this way they could release the Blue Bricks and Green Bricks.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:07 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:That's terrible. They should just release one big Orange Brick box and be done with it, this way they could release the Blue Bricks and Green Bricks.
In the Twitter conversation, MangaUK stated that they won't be making many 'parts' past Season 1.
https://twitter.com/mangauk/status/406052038422716416
https://twitter.com/mangauk/status/406052106638880768
Also, not that it matters, but I am @MetalGearPyro. (No real way for me to prove it... :oops:)

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:09 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Solidus wrote:Hi guys, well MangaUK has confirmed via twitter that they are indeed releasing the 'part' sets of the orange bricks. As we already guessed they were intended for supermarkets. Hopefully these get a release in Ireland as well since there's only three HMV's in the country and Dragon Ball needs more exposure.
That's terrible. They should just release one big Orange Brick box and be done with it, this way they could release the Blue Bricks and Green Bricks.
These 'part' sets for season 1 are all coming out on 17th February, between the releases of DBGT Season 1 and 2. I don't think they'll hinder with the release of the Blue Bricks. They're really only for kids who were watching Kai. It's basically the same idea as the 'Best Of' release that Funimation were going to do in Walmart.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:18 pm

The problem is that adding all them up will cost something like £33 but if you shop at Amazon you can get the complete first season for £16.

I see that Manga UK's trying to milk off DBZ for all its worth but this isn't the US.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:35 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The problem is that adding all them up will cost something like £33 but if you shop at Amazon you can get the complete first season for £16.

I see that Manga UK's trying to milk off DBZ for all its worth but this isn't the US.
Don't underestimate the demand for Dragonball in the UK. The Bricks were imported here in great numbers before Manga got around to releasing them and they still consistently topped the anime sales charts. DBZ was huge here back in the day and Kai is doing well too. Manga are smart to try to appeal to the Kix fans. After all they can't afford to buy Season sets instore. It's hardly milking yet. Especiially by DBZ standards. If anything I wouldn't mind seeing them milk it. After so many years of no release I'll be happy to see the shelves full of Dragonball releases.