Do the die-hards really hate GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Re: Do the die-hards really hate GT?

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:The problem with GT is that it goes from the adventure style of DB to just overpowered villains of Z. To be honest I felt it should have stayed with the galaxy travel premise and switch Goten for Pan and add in Uub and turn it into a right of passage/pass the torch thing.
The beginning was so unwatchable it didn't even air at first on CN, plus it hardly made sense without overpowered villains because at this point the characters were even more-so ridiculously overpowered than the previous villains, to the point Goku could beat Cell with ease, who was 1000x more powerful than Frieza who was 10000x more powerful than Demon King Piccolo, and so on.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 pm

My complaints can pretty much be summed up in three reasons...

1) A story that was quite often not only dull and predictable, with rather terrible pacing, but just seemed rushed at times, such as when we had Syn and Eise Shenron essentially appearing out of nowhere. Seriously, every Dragon up till that point were in completely seperate areas, and now all of a sudden we have ALL THREE OF THEM in the same exact city, just sort of chilling out. Yeah, that was kind of a weird moment in my opinion.

2) Fight choreography that was either bad, or just plain weird (most of the time...there were some good moments, such as SSJ4 Goku vs. Syn Shenron, Round 1), such as in Bebi-Goten's fight with Gohan, in which he fires a blast into the ground...then flies up, grabs Gohan, and then...flies straight into the blast, no doubt either pointlessly injuring himself as well as Gohan, or doing almost no damage at all since the blast might've lost most of it's power by then.

And then we have pretty much all of 4:13-4:52 here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-UOj2gQY0U

...filled with what I believe to be some of the most hilariously bad choreography I think I've ever seen in Dragon Ball Z. Say what you want about fights like the Garlic Junior Saga fights, at least when they're fighting in those, you can actually clearly see the punch as opposed to it being totally obscured by someone's face or something...

3) The massive amount of plot holes, even discounting the continuity issues with Dragon Ball Z, mostly power level related. Seriously, how in the world was SSJ Goku able to compete on an equal level with Super 17# when we had already established that even Majuub, who was able to hold his own against Bebi-Vegeta, who SSJ3 Goku couldn't even so much as land a punch on, was completely helpless against 17#? By that logic we should have...

Super #17>Bebi-Vegeta>Majuub>SSJ3 Goku>SSJ Goku

...and yet we have #17 and SSJ Goku fighting equally...what the heck?!

Of course, I could write a whole thread about all the things I find wrong with GT, but I think most of my complaints boil down to those three basic points.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:The problem with GT is that it goes from the adventure style of DB to just overpowered villains of Z. To be honest I felt it should have stayed with the galaxy travel premise and switch Goten for Pan and add in Uub and turn it into a right of passage/pass the torch thing.
The beginning was so unwatchable it didn't even air at first on CN, plus it hardly made sense without overpowered villains because at this point the characters were even more-so ridiculously overpowered than the previous villains, to the point Goku could beat Cell with ease, who was 1000x more powerful than Frieza who was 10000x more powerful than Demon King Piccolo, and so on.
Which is why the switched up the style mid point to the Z style. GT would have to be gutted and redone and all that for a galaxy adventure style to work. GT as it stands is a template for how to go wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 pm

My problem with the adventure thing is that it had to make the characters into complete idiots who forgot to use their powers to work. So many problems could have been solved by using flight or just beating people up, considering how strong all three of them must be. Rather than just have the characters act retarded, they should have thought of situations where they couldn't just use their powers to easily solve it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 am

I view GT the same way that I view Transformers Armada, Energon and Cybertron. It has enjoyable moments but everything was poorly done and could have been so much better. It also seem like DB fans view GT just like Star Trek fans view Enterprise and Yu-Gi-Oh fans view GX, it's just a huge disappointment.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:51 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I view GT the same way that I view Transformers Armada, Energon and Cybertron. It has enjoyable moments but everything was poorly done and could have been so much better. It also seem like DB fans view GT just like Star Trek fans view Enterprise and Yu-Gi-Oh fans view GX, it's just a huge disappointment.
The funniest thing about GX was how it turned into fangirl fanservice anime starting with the Seven Kings storyline. Haven't seen the 4th season though.

Minigt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Minigt » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 am

After growing to know and love all of the characters in Z, GT just seems take all of that and poop on it.
Chuncho Stretchy Pants

Tekkaman-James
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tekkaman-James » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:54 pm

"Hate" is a word that is fairly illogical to use for one's opinion on a piece of fiction. However, with how limited the English language can be in the ways of passion/emotion, I cannot fault people for using it in this context. With that said, I will simply state that when I refer to "hating" things in this post, I obviously don't mean it in the same way that I hate liars, injustice, or murder.

I would say that I hate GT more than I like it. It was obviously a desperate money-grab on Toei's part due to Toriyama's surprise resignation from Dragon Ball. The series is full of new characters that are devoid of any actual creativity and are mostly comprised of derivative components of pre-existing characters. Now, I know that Toriyama's art style is simplistic and that even he is guilty of creating derivative characters, but at least Toriyama's designs still have spirit. On the plus side, I thought the "idea" of Super #17, Bebi and SSJ Oozaru were pretty cool. However, the implementation was lacking. Other creations, like the seven Dragons and SSJ4 just make me wince. All in all, it's definitely a mixed bag.

As for its canon-ocity, I look at it more like a 'spiritual successor' than an actual sequel. Other examples would be Dirty Pair Flash (a cash-in, re-imagined prequel to Dirty Pair) and BubbleGum Crisis 2040 (a cash-in, re-imagined sequel to the original BGC). All of these are stories that were produced by people who weren't involved with the original creation, so can you really canon-ize them? As has been said many times before, it ultimately depends on the individual. All we can do is accept that some people think they count and some don't and call it a day. Peace.
@VegettoEX: Let it be known that @Tekkaman_Blade is the greatest human being on the face of the planet.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Tekkaman-James wrote:As for its canon-ocity, I look at it more like a 'spiritual successor' than an actual sequel. Other examples would be Dirty Pair Flash (a cash-in, re-imagined prequel to Dirty Pair) and BubbleGum Crisis 2040 (a cash-in, re-imagined sequel to the original BGC). All of these are stories that were produced by people who weren't involved with the original creation, so can you really canon-ize them? As has been said many times before, it ultimately depends on the individual.
Hmm. While canon and continuity aren't exactly the same thing, I don't think many people file things from different continuities under the same canon these days, and Dirty Pair Flash and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 are both more like remakes. But I can't really say you're wrong, since the word canon can be used another way (I think people call it "author canon" now to differentiate it, even though it's an older usage...) that would make sense with what you wrote! It's...such a mess of a subject, really...
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Well if you don't consider Cooler's movie to be part of the storyline then it would be difficult to consider GT as so with GT having Cooler in a scene.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 am

Unless the Coola in GT was a "different" Coola.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 am

GT is good enough. People just don't realize that DBZ isn't any masterpiece either. They are both just some cartoons where shirtless dudes punch each other.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Minigt wrote:After growing to know and love all of the characters in Z, GT just seems take all of that and poop on it.
Yeah, I like GT, but well, they should've handled the characters a lot better. I was overexcited about Goku, Goten and Trunks team in space and hoping for Vegeta having bigger role or join some fight out in space on some planet............... then the end of second episode ruined it!
I was watching run of it on TV and never heard about GT before, so I was pretty much hyped as the Z ended and this went on out of nowhere.

Well, still like the GT and Baby is one of my favorite villains in this series alongside Piccolo, Majin Buu and Freeza.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Majin Boo

Post by Majin Boo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm

The huge waste of potential that was Pan is arguably the worst thing GT did IMO. Her never even going Super Saiyan was a load of horseshit.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:52 pm

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:People just don't realize that DBZ isn't any masterpiece either.
I realize that just fine, and yet I still think GT wasn't executed well.
Majin Boo wrote:The huge waste of potential that was Pan is arguably the worst thing GT did IMO. Her never even going Super Saiyan was a load of horseshit.
It's not like being a Super Saiyan helps in GT.

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 am

Majin Boo wrote:The huge waste of potential that was Pan is arguably the worst thing GT did IMO. Her never even going Super Saiyan was a load of horseshit.
You know what's a load of horseshit? That any weakling could turn Super Saiyan since the Buu saga.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:45 am

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:
You know what's a load of horseshit? That any weakling could turn Super Saiyan since the Buu saga.
Goten and Trunks weren't weaklings. They were likely stronger than Goku and Vegeta when those two first transformed into Super Saiyans.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 am

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:GT is good enough. People just don't realize that DBZ isn't any masterpiece either. They are both just some cartoons where shirtless dudes punch each other.
That's true, but those who say "DBZ best anime ever" or that DBZ is a masterpiece then they probably have never seen anything besides Dragon Ball Z.

DBZ did have better animation/design but it was always mostly just a bunch of guys fighting while DBGT was about finding the Dragon Balls.

3000 Leagues in Search of Mother is a masterpiece, not DBZ. I wish FUNimation would release 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother on DVD but what the American/FUNimation seems to care most is about DBZ.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:36 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:GT is good enough. People just don't realize that DBZ isn't any masterpiece either. They are both just some cartoons where shirtless dudes punch each other.
That's true, but those who say "DBZ best anime ever" or that DBZ is a masterpiece then they probably have never seen anything besides Dragon Ball Z.

DBZ did have better animation/design but it was always mostly just a bunch of guys fighting while DBGT was about finding the Dragon Balls.

3000 Leagues in Search of Mother is a masterpiece, not DBZ. I wish FUNimation would release 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother on DVD but what the American/FUNimation seems to care most is about DBZ.
It's purely subjective, though. DBZ is probably my favourite manga despite having read more complex/"mature" ones.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:52 am

I absolutely love GT. Growing up in the inner city, I always visited the video starts and bought bootlegs. I actually saw GT before I even finished Z. My like isn't a pure nostolgia thing, though, I can rewatch it now and still enjoy it.

I admit the beginning can be kinda slow, but once the Luud arc starts, things start to pick up (and I also think Ledgic vs Goku was a cool, albeit short, fight)