Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:I think Schemmel knows how to capture happy go-lucky curious and innocent Goku just as well as Nozawa. It's those moments when he becomes real low and drop-dead, cold-stone serious that I think are out of character, but that's probably just direction.

Also Stephanie Nadolny did a fantastic job *runs*
How is his voice getting deeper when serious out of character? Nozawa has a naturally higher voice than Schemmel does
ABED wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:I think Schemmel knows how to capture happy go-lucky curious and innocent Goku just as well as Nozawa. It's those moments when he becomes real low and drop-dead, cold-stone serious that I think are out of character, but that's probably just direction.

Also Stephanie Nadolny did a fantastic job *runs*
How is that out of character?
I said low, not deep. Although maybe I worded myself wrong, I've just been listening to some clips of Schemmel in Kai when he's having low and tense banter with Piccolo and Freeza, and since I'm in the middle of rewatching the series in Japanese at the moment, I've gotten used to Nozawa and so he just struck me as a little off. Although now that I continue watching more clips, I'm getting used to it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep41kcrRFEQ

So I take back what I said originally. There's actually nothing wrong with Schemmel's performance at all, he's equal to Nozawa in every way.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Speaking of voices. I don't like Nozawa's voice for anyone other than Gohan.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Kanassa wrote:Speaking of voices. I don't like Nozawa's voice for anyone other than Gohan.
:roll:
Why ? Gohan is her worst role. Also no love for Black ? I've heard dub fans that hated the sub love that voice.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Speaking of voices. I don't like Nozawa's voice for anyone other than Gohan.
Why ? Gohan is her worst role. Also no love for Black ? I've heard dub fans that hated the sub love that voice.
I felt her voices suited Gohan the most. I found both Goku and Goten's very annoying, and Black... Yeah, for me that voice just doesn't fit him. All his intimitation factordissapate for me when that voice comes out of him. It'd be like Darth Vader having Mickey Mouse's sick cousin as a VA.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
I felt her voices suited Gohan the most. I found both Goku and Goten's very annoying, and Black... Yeah, for me that voice just doesn't fit him. All his intimitation factordissapate for me when that voice comes out of him. It'd be like Darth Vader having Mickey Mouse's sick cousin as a VA.
I was gonna respond to this, but I'm just not bothered enough to. Ya win mate. Imma go play madden.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:17 pm

What about kid Goku? I feel like her portrayal of the character makes a lot more sense if you see the progression during the original series. Her kid voice gets slightly deeper as you would expect from someone who goes through puberty vs in the dub were the voice completely transforms.

I can see why her performance could come as a bit of a shock, especially to someone who jumps straight into Z from say, the English dub for example.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:34 pm

qjz123 wrote:
What about kid Goku? I feel like her portrayal of the character makes a lot more sense if you see the progression during the original series. Her kid voice gets slightly deeper as you would expect from someone who goes through puberty vs in the dub were the voice completely transforms.

I can see why her performance could come as a bit of a shock, especially to someone who jumps straight into Z from say, the English dub for example.
Uh, her performance didn't come a sa shock. I just didn't like it. And I have not heard her do Kid Goku, though I'e heard that it's basically her Goten performance.

Kanassa wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Except that Goku isn't at all like Darth Vader. Goku has the appearance and personality of a affable, fun loving warrior, not a dark, evil dictator.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Dude, he meant Black.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:15 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote: :roll:
Except that Goku isn't at all like Darth Vader. Goku has the appearance and personality of a affable, fun loving warrior, not a dark, evil dictator.
I do have to admit, I love her performance as Goku Black. She may be past her prime as Son Goku, but she's hit her stride as Evil Goku. Just listen to how much her Evil Goku voice has improved since she was Tullece in movie 3.
Retired.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:29 pm

I like saying Chi more than Ki.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:31 pm

nite_jay wrote:I like saying Chi more than Ki.
I don't think that's so controversial. To my knowledge, people use the two interchangeably. Although "Ki" is more popular, simply because the show is more popular than the comic.
Retired.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:22 am

Kanassa wrote: Uh, her performance didn't come a sa shock. I just didn't like it. And I have not heard her do Kid Goku, though I'e heard that it's basically her Goten performance.
I think that lack of progression is what turns people off. The performance makes sense if you watched her as Goku in Dragon Ball than again as Goku in Z. It's ok not to like it, I wouldn't consider myself the biggest fan either(though I do love her kid Goku) for long time fans she simply is Goku's voice. So like it or not that's just what the guy sounds like in a sense.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:41 am

Okay, on the topic of Nozawa's progression not being appreciated if you don't watch Dragon Ball, that's another thing.

Although I'm sure this isn't unpopular around here, but the idea of skipping Dragon Ball and going straight to Z is nothing short of absurd. Even a great film like The Godfather, if you just turned it on randomly at the 50 minute mark and acted like that was the complete package, and the first half of the film was just some minor, unimportant prequel material, you'd probably have a lot of problems with it as well.

THEY ARE ONE STORY. DAMN YOU TOEI FOR SEPARATING IT

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 am

nickzambuto wrote:Okay, on the topic of Nozawa's progression not being appreciated if you don't watch Dragon Ball, that's another thing.

Although I'm sure this isn't unpopular around here, but the idea of skipping Dragon Ball and going straight to Z is nothing short of absurd. Even a great film like The Godfather, if you just turned it on randomly at the 50 minute mark and acted like that was the complete package, and the first half of the film was just some minor, unimportant prequel material, you'd probably have a lot of problems with it as well.

THEY ARE ONE STORY. DAMN YOU TOEI FOR SEPARATING IT
It wasn't Toei that separated them; "Z" aired the week after DB, in the exact same timeslot.

Funimation is the one that started all this bullshit. If that hadn't been a thing, you wouldn't have legions of "fans" clamoring that it's totally okay to skip the formative material of the franchise.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 am

But had it not been separated into DB and DBZ, I don't think FUNimation would have skipped ahead to the Saiyan arc after the first 13 episodes of DB weren't successful.

I know this sounds rather pedantic, but I wouldn't call DB the "formative material". It's just the beginning of the story. "Formative material" makes it sound like an extended flashback that you need to get through to get to the actual story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:56 am

I don't like skipping. Saying skip DB and start with DBZ is like saying skip the first two parts of Jojo and start with Stardust Crusaders.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't like skipping. Saying skip DB and start with DBZ is like saying skip the first two parts of Jojo and start with Stardust Crusaders.
The funny thing about that: That idea actually occurs! In JoJo's case, you can get away with it easier than with Dragon Ball, but the story is undoubtedly weaker for it. I don't understand the need for skipping with so many series. It seems as if the concept has become prevalent as time passes. If you're supposed to consume media in your free time, then what's the rush?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Nejishiki wrote: The funny thing about that: That actually occurs! In JoJo's case, you can get away with it easier than with Dragon Ball, but the story is undoubtedly weaker for it. I don't understand the need for skipping with so many series. It seems as if the idea has become prevalent as time passes. If you're supposed to consume media in your free time, then what's the rush?
I wouldn't ever say skipping is good when it comes to DB but ,I gotta say, it's very tempting with some series like Naruto or One Piece. Especially Naruto with it's filler arcs that continue to anime for 3 years after the manga's already ended :oops: When you think about it that way, the Dragon Ball franchise really got it made in that aspect.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:25 pm

It's not like DBZ didn't have tons of filler as well, it's just mixed in with Canon material which makes it unskippable.

Though I will admit it definitely holds up better than Naruto or One Piece. I haven't watched the dragged out One Piece anime in years.
Kendamu wrote: