Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Why not something like Kakageta or Kakaget.
Because there's no reason to deviate so far from the source when Vegerot works phonetically, fits with the romanizations better, and is fundamentally the same amalgamation as Vegetto.
I was talking about if that was the source name, my bad should have made that clearer. Just wanted to to see how people felt if Toriyama went that way for the fused name.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Besides the original Japanese version, Eric Legrand's take on Vegetto is probably my favorite voice for character. I never thought one sole voice would work for a fusion character at first but he pulled it off spectacularly.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:40 pm

DBS anime is better than DBS manga.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:DBS anime is better than DBS manga.
That one's not too unpopular.

It like the manga better, but I acknowledge that it has a lot of problems, most of them caused by the once a month schedule. Due to only 12 chapters a year, the story has to be rushed just to keep up, making the show the more complete version.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Though having infrequent moments of greatness, Dr Slump is mostly boring. Probably because the "plot" gets repetitive quickly. The funny thing is that when I first saw Dragon Ball, I got hooked quickly...maybe it's because it was a lot less episodic...idk.

Another controversial opinion, Animaniacs (specifically the Warner Sibling sketches) is the better Dr Slump. Both get ridiculously silly, and both have moments of repeating the same plot over and over (almost literally, there are several episodes/shorts where Arale/the Warner Siblings meet someone interesting, and hilariously is supposed to ensue) both have some adult moments in a show that was meant for children... idk xD
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:56 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Though having infrequent moments of greatness, Dr Slump is mostly boring. Probably because the "plot" gets repetitive quickly. The funny thing is that when I first saw Dragon Ball, I got hooked quickly...maybe it's because it was a lot less episodic...idk.

Another controversial opinion, Animaniacs (specifically the Warner Sibling sketches) is the better Dr Slump. Both get ridiculously silly, and both have moments of repeating the same plot over and over (almost literally, there are several episodes/shorts where Arale/the Warner Siblings meet someone interesting, and hilariously is supposed to ensue) both have some adult moments in a show that was meant for children... idk xD
100% agreed, although I understand that it's not supposed to be complex or story-driven.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:02 pm

Maybe my opinion is invalidated by me only seeing the first 20 episodes and the first two movies...idk.

Ironically, from what I saw, I think Dr. Slump is at its best when its being serious, when Senbai and Arale nursed the bear to health only for the bear to be shot by a random hunter, when Arale realized she would never grow up, that kind of thing...not that I am against humor, but I laughed a lot more at early DB than I did with Dr Slump.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 pm

I feel weird for saying this but I actually kinda like "Pikkoro" or "Picoro". I know it's weird and redundant but I like the way the "I" sounds in it. But at the same time, I don't like stuff like "Torankusu" or "Selu". Even though I know what I like isn't much different from those.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:14 pm

I know why, you like the Latin American version, dont you? ;). You are in good company I love it too!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:28 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Though having infrequent moments of greatness, Dr Slump is mostly boring. Probably because the "plot" gets repetitive quickly. The funny thing is that when I first saw Dragon Ball, I got hooked quickly...maybe it's because it was a lot less episodic...idk.
Dr. Slump is almost entirely episodic, so I agree it's harder to binge read or watch. Kind of comes with the territory. Things do tend to stay happened, though, so there's at least a sense of forward momentum and continuity on a broad scale that rewards you for continuing to follow it.
I can see why you might make the comparison, but I think their senses of humor are sufficiently different. Both have anything-goes approaches and are heavily referential of other works, but Animaniacs (as I remember it) aimed to be far more contemporary, and its jokes relied on conventional logic. Dr. Slump mines a lot of its humor from acclimating you to its world's distinct, already silly logic, and then presenting gags that further violate it. I can't think of too many things that match that rhythm. The animated Baman-Piderman web series (which is the wonderful project of a husband-wife animation team) is the closest thing I've experienced.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know why, you like the Latin American version, dont you? ;). You are in good company I love it too!
I can't deny it! :mrgreen: Señor Pikoro is just too freaking awesome.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:51 pm

The Latin American dub should be shown to anyone who says you cant use the word "Mister" (Señor in Spanish) to replace "San".

You should watch GT, the death of Piccolo is HEARTBREAKING. SEÑOR PIKORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOO!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Although Super is the hot new thing right now, I really believe that GT will stand the test of time better. When we look back on the franchise 10-15 years from now, GT will be more fondly remembered than Super.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:45 pm

MarCas92 wrote:Although Super is the hot new thing right now, I really believe that GT will stand the test of time better. When we look back on the franchise 10-15 years from now, GT will be more fondly remembered than Super.
I think that us old-timey fans may remember GT as a better continuation (myself not included), but I doubt that will become a "mainstream" attitude.
Retired.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:13 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
MarCas92 wrote:Although Super is the hot new thing right now, I really believe that GT will stand the test of time better. When we look back on the franchise 10-15 years from now, GT will be more fondly remembered than Super.
I think that us old-timey fans may remember GT as a better continuation (myself not included), but I doubt that will become a "mainstream" attitude.
GT is disjointed and wavers between boring and just fights. People who complain about Super only do that because they are seeing it weekly for the firs time. If you saw this show at a brisker pace, 5 days a week, I guarantee that everyone would love it.It truly continues the spirit of Dragon Ball. And isn't that what it is about? Embodying the spirit of the franchise? Can anyone honestly say GT does that more than Super?
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:09 am

Freeza Heika wrote:It truly continues the spirit of Dragon Ball. And isn't that what it is about? Embodying the spirit of the franchise? Can anyone honestly say GT does that more than Super?
Yup. I get a helluva lot more of a Dragon Ball feeling and spirit from GT than I do from Super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:50 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Yeah I think the Black arc alone has ensured it'll be remembered more then GT that and episode 5 (but for the opposite reasons) it's already been a year and people still aren't letting that go.

Also Super may still be going on in 10-15 years... :P

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:02 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Why not something like Kakageta or Kakaget.
Because there's no reason to deviate so far from the source when Vegerot works phonetically, fits with the romanizations better, and is fundamentally the same amalgamation as Vegetto.
Plus, who wants a hero who's named kaka/caca?

Saying Kakageta out loud sounds like a fusion of Vegeta and an actual piece of crap.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:16 am

It's just that there's no reason to do something like that. The way they chose was a perfectly legitimate amalgamation of Vegeta and Kakkarot.
How? The last syllable in Vegetto isn't the same as Kakarot, thus making it not a portmanteau
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:01 pm

I like the ending of Resurrection 'F'. It's grown on me.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune