Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:An unpopular opinion: Shin's introduction was one of the greatest in the series.

Too bad he becomes a joke.
Oh yeah, i loved that. The way the Z fighters approach Shin and Kibito was great. The Supreme Kai just floating there and Kibito looking very serious, and that creepy grin on the Supreme Kai's face when he shakes Goku's hand was great.

I liked the Buu arc, but at the same time, i do also think things may have been better if they just let that tournament play out naturally and saved the Buu story for another day. I also think i would have much preferred a Goku vs Vegeta fight in the ring.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Scott wrote:
Doctor. wrote:An unpopular opinion: Shin's introduction was one of the greatest in the series.

Too bad he becomes a joke.
Oh yeah, i loved that. The way the Z fighters approach Shin and Kibito was great. The Supreme Kai just floating there and Kibito looking very serious, and that creepy grin on the Supreme Kai's face when he shakes Goku's hand was great.

I liked the Buu arc, but at the same time, i do also think things may have been better if they just let that tournament play out naturally and saved the Buu story for another day. I also think i would have much preferred a Goku vs Vegeta fight in the ring.
What I hate most about this is how he drags Piccolo down with him too. Piccolo interacts with Shin while he is still the mysterious hot shot, and his reaction to Shin's real identity is used as a measuring stick for how strong Shin is supposed to be, but then....nothing. He doesn't do one memorable thing....

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 pm

ABED recently made a good point that got me thinking about Super vs GT and why the former is getting a lot of praise while the latter suffers, even speaking as someone who thinks the disdain for it is overblown: GT wasn't good at spectacle whereas Super is. A lot of GTs fights just kind of fall flat and don't work, they fail to satisfy even on a base sensory level. Super meanwhile has that down a lot better despite the fact the writing is in many ways just as flawed if not worse then GTs.

This isn't the sole deciding factor I think, there's a lot of other factors some of which count for some that wouldn't for others but I genuinely think that if Super wasn't as good as it was on the base, spectacle level, it would be getting smashed just as hard if not worse then GT was. Episode 125 of Super is a really good example of this, the "arc" of Toppo doesn't exist in the lead up so the pay off is nothing but cool visuals & music but there's little there beyond hype.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:18 am

Here's another unpopular opinion I have:

Freeza is getting too much attention. He's my favorite villain but they keep using him and I'm kind of getting bored of the character.

Frost doesn't help either.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:20 am

GamerSkull wrote:Here's another unpopular opinion I have:

Freeza is getting too much attention. He's my favorite villain but they keep using him and I'm kind of getting bored of the character.

Honestly dont think this is unpopular, but I agree with you

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:

It isn't? I was under the impression that a lot of people dug Freeza's involvement in the Tournament of Power. I must have been mistaken.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:58 am

GamerSkull wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

It isn't? I was under the impression that a lot of people dug Freeza's involvement in the Tournament of Power. I must have been mistaken.
Freeza has been a lot of fun, he just has something about it him that others don't this uncertainty about him. He lines are still amazing as ever.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 am

GamerSkull wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

I think the hype surrounding him has dwindled down a little since the ending of Super has been confirmed. His inclusion at first had been met with a lot of negativity because people really did think he was being used too much (that and that the ROF was considered pretty bad) but then ep 95 turned it around. The episode was great overall but what got people really interested in him was this presumed subplot about him manipulating the gods that the show teased us with. With less than 8 episodes left, this intriguing aspect associated with his role will most likely mean nothing in the end, or will likely be underwhelming compared to what people hoped for.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:45 am

ulisa wrote: I don’t think Gohan fits to be a scholar —-I don’t buy it, I just don’t. I realize that this is the angle they went with but from a character development angle, it never made any sense to me. Gohan states at the beginning that he wants to be a scholar but that has always sounded rehearsed to me. It sounds like something his mother kept repeating and pushing so he decided to go along with it to please her. His character traits to me point more toward someone that enjoys nature, animals, likes to explore and enjoys the martial arts if not the battles. Gohan has been shown to have some of that Saiyan battle lust, it just isn’t triggered by the same things as his father. I always thought Gohan would have fun being a martial arts teacher and exploring different things he could do with ki. That seemed to be the best combo of earthling and human traits.

Okay, this one is likely going to get me roasted but I’m sorry, it’s one I’m pretty passionate about—While not perfect, I think Goku is a better parent than ChiChi

Let me make something real clear—I’m not saying ChiChi is a bad parent. She’s not. She loves her kids and she’s making sure they have a good foundation for a future while trying to keep them safe. All of these are excellent traits! When Goku is at home and the two of them can parent together, they seem to do really well and that seems to be the most stable times for their kids (before Raditz and after Buu mainly)

Having said that though, where ChiChi fails I think is on connecting to her kids, especially Gohan on an emotional level. The best way I know to describe this is simply—Gohan’s confidence soars when he’s with Goku. When he’s with ChiChi, it drops. I think all that can really be summed up with Goku gives his kids a sense that he cares about and loves them for who they are whereas ChiChi gives off this vibe of “I love you when you’re a certain way.” I don’t think it’s purposeful but when she is only giving positive attention when he studies and is downplaying the Saiyan part of his heritage, that sends a very strong message to a kid. Again, i don’t think she does it on purpose but it still happens. In counseling, we call what Goku has with his kids “unconditional positive regard” or “Ill love you no matter what” and what ChiChi has at least with Gohan “conditional positive regard” or “I love you because you are/act a certain way.” Now this definitely changes as Chichi changes in the Buu saga especially but for a long time, I think this was the message Gohan was getting and his confidence suffered for it. One reason I think Goku and ChiChi parent best together because they balance out one another’s flaws.
These are actually really good interpretations of the characters and I love them.

Gohan always wanting to be a scholar felt kind of forced to me. The fact that it's one of the first things we learn about him (how many four-year olds even know what they want to do, let alone something like that?) seemed like writing shorthand for "this character is a pacifist/nerd, watch us throw him into battle". But on the other hand, the fact that he was always proud of being his father's son and had an aptitude for fighting makes me think there could have been a better way to balance his character. He'll always be a victim of the writing flip-flop between Cell and Buu, but him becoming a scholar and getting such a perfect life at the end of it all felt like a consolation prize. There's no real drama or substance to it. I'm glad they at least tried to explore the implications of it all through his arc in Super, even if it was a slow burn.

As for Chi-Chi and Goku...yeah, that's just legit good stuff. It's very easy to view Goku and Chi-Chi as this dysfunctional family unit that shouldn't be allowed to raise kids, but I think looking at how Gohan and Goten turned out when they got back together at the end of Buu says they work better than we give them credit for. The problem was with how they were often written as broad caricatures when it comes to parenting. Goku was often too absent and carefree, while Chi-Chi was too overbearing. It can't be a coincidence that they do their best work during time-skips or offscreen.

Also, I cut it from your post, but I'd just like to point out that the entire last page was full of people saying "I like GT more than Super". Can we all just agree that's not an unpopular opinion? Or rather, it's going to be another one of those endless debates that people flip-flop on and each side takes turns being "in fashion". Do you prefer GT or Super? DB or DBZ? DBZ or Kai? Saiyan/Namek or Android/Cell? Cell or Buu? 21st/22nd/23rd tournament?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:19 am

The fandom narrative of "Gohan always had an affinity/liking/lust for fighting as kid" is far more forced than him wanting to be a schoolar (schoolarity may have been forced by Chi-Chi during his childhood but is something that Gohan eventually decided to follow and a teen and adult eventually). Gohan never showed any kind of liking for fighting outside of dire situation that demmanded him to fight (i.e: Saiyans about to kill all earthlings if not stopped, Freeza mass murdering of innocent Nameccians, androids and Cell danger, etc).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:59 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:The fandom narrative of "Gohan always had an affinity/liking/lust for fighting as kid" is far more forced than him wanting to be a schoolar (schoolarity may have been forced by Chi-Chi during his childhood but is something that Gohan eventually decided to follow and a teen and adult eventually). Gohan never showed any kind of liking for fighting outside of dire situation that demmanded him to fight (i.e: Saiyans about to kill all earthlings if not stopped, Freeza mass murdering of innocent Nameccians, androids and Cell danger, etc).
I don't remember seeing anyone say that. More often than not, I read people saying that Gohan doesn't have a love for battle like his father, which is true.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:24 am

ulisa wrote:I don’t think Gohan fits to be a scholar —-I don’t buy it, I just don’t. I realize that this is the angle they went with but from a character development angle, it never made any sense to me. Gohan states at the beginning that he wants to be a scholar but that has always sounded rehearsed to me. It sounds like something his mother kept repeating and pushing so he decided to go along with it to please her. His character traits to me point more toward someone that enjoys nature, animals, likes to explore and enjoys the martial arts if not the battles. Gohan has been shown to have some of that Saiyan battle lust, it just isn’t triggered by the same things as his father. I always thought Gohan would have fun being a martial arts teacher and exploring different things he could do with ki. That seemed to be the best combo of earthling and human traits.
Excellent point, mate. I do agree with that view.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:39 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:The fandom narrative of "Gohan always had an affinity/liking/lust for fighting as kid" is far more forced than him wanting to be a schoolar (schoolarity may have been forced by Chi-Chi during his childhood but is something that Gohan eventually decided to follow and a teen and adult eventually). Gohan never showed any kind of liking for fighting outside of dire situation that demmanded him to fight (i.e: Saiyans about to kill all earthlings if not stopped, Freeza mass murdering of innocent Nameccians, androids and Cell danger, etc).
Absolutely true until the Buu Saga. In that arc he displays a small amount of warrior's pride here and there, which he never did before.

About the scholar thing- yeah, I always thought it was weird that a 4 year old would have a dream like that.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Michsi wrote: Absolutely true until the Buu Saga. In that arc he displays a small amount of warrior's pride here and there, which he never did before.

About the scholar thing- yeah, I always thought it was weird that a 4 year old would have a dream like that.
I’d argue that while Gohan didn’t enjoy the battles, he did enjoy the martial arts. It was something that he could do with his father and Piccolo and I suspect, it gave him a sense if power that he normally didn’t have. While he battles for a different reason than his father (to protect instead of grow stronger) he seems to enjoy it as a sport and a hobby.

Also, yes, that warrior’s pride really shows up in the Buu saga and we saw traces of it pop up before, most notably on Namek with him declaring at least twice that he was his father’s son.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 pm

As for Chi-Chi and Goku...yeah, that's just legit good stuff. It's very easy to view Goku and Chi-Chi as this dysfunctional family unit that shouldn't be allowed to raise kids, but I think looking at how Gohan and Goten turned out when they got back together at the end of Buu says they work better than we give them credit for. The problem was with how they were often written as broad caricatures when it comes to parenting. Goku was often too absent and carefree, while Chi-Chi was too overbearing. It can't be a coincidence that they do their best work during time-skips or offscreen.
For some reason, they work well together and I do think it’s because they balance one another out. We never really get to see them do actual “parenting” together but judging by their kids, they must be doing something right. One thing I akways found interesting is the fact that while people usually quote ChiChi as coddling Gohan, Goku is just as guilty of it. Piccolo references it when they first start training and it’s a big issue when they go into the time chamber to the point that Gohan has to push his father go all out. While the time chamber does have a lot of filler, I don’t necessarily discount it as at least in the anime, it’s counted—Goku seems pretty darn capable as a parent, despite all the jokes to the contrary. He knows how to handle nightmares, fevers and as evidenced in the Saiyan saga, wounds and cuts. He’s better than he gets credit for, namely because his goofy traits are usually emphasized. For ChiChi, it’s the opposite in that her stern traits are usually all that we see but she can be kind, loving and gentle as well but we just don’t see a lot of it. I’d imagine when Goku and ChiChi are both home together, it’s likely not a bad childhood.
Also, I cut it from your post, but I'd just like to point out that the entire last page was full of people saying "I like GT more than Super". Can we all just agree that's not an unpopular opinion? Or rather, it's going to be another one of those endless debates that people flip-flop on and each side takes turns being "in fashion". Do you prefer GT or Super? DB or DBZ? DBZ or Kai? Saiyan/Namek or Android/Cell? Cell or Buu? 21st/22nd/23rd tournament?
I guess I still hear a lot of people hounding on GT, though you’re right, with Super, it’s been getting praised more than before. Ultimately, they both have their problems so it really comes down to preference.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:31 pm

ulisa wrote:
Michsi wrote: Absolutely true until the Buu Saga. In that arc he displays a small amount of warrior's pride here and there, which he never did before.

I’d argue that while Gohan didn’t enjoy the battles, he did enjoy the martial arts. It was something that he could do with his father and Piccolo and I suspect, it gave him a sense if power that he normally didn’t have. While he battles for a different reason than his father (to protect instead of grow stronger) he seems to enjoy it as a sport and a hobby.

Also, yes, that warrior’s pride really shows up in the Buu saga and we saw traces of it pop up before, most notably on Namek with him declaring at least twice that he was his father’s son.
Yeah, I also believe he holds at least some passion for martial arts. When I say he doesn't like fighting, I mean he doesn't like the conflict, aggression and pain that comes from life and death situations, which is something the others either don't mind or think makes the fight even better.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Well, I've still seen far more people praise Super more than GT... and a lot of people saying that Super is at the very least better than GT. Stuff like that.

So I would still say that it's probably an unpopular opinion despite seeing people agree with me.

That being said, you're probably right that it's gonna be an endless debate that goes back and forth eventually.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:22 pm

I don't think either the Faulconer soundtrack or the Kikuchi score are really all that great. Kikuchi fits a bit more with DB, and when it's good, it's great, but for the most part it's just mediocre. Faulconer is generic synth rock, but it's not bad, and sometimes he knocks it out of the park. but the placement for it is garbage, and clashed with the series a lot. I guess I prefer Kikuchi , but I'd say their about the same quality.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Caulifla and Kale may be my favorite characters in Super. But I adore Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs! Magical girls in Dragon Ball?! I'm in! I want them to get their own series ASAP! And it really sucks that so many people seem to dislike them for no reason other than "No, they outclassed mah boy, Hit!"
Caulifla best girl! :)

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Caulifla and Kale may be my favorite characters in Super. But I adore Ribrianne and the Kamikaze Fireballs! Magical girls in Dragon Ball?! I'm in! I want them to get their own series ASAP! And it really sucks that so many people seem to dislike them for no reason other than "No, they outclassed mah boy, Hit!"
People also hate Ribrianne for her repulsive appearance as well being annoying with the love sthick.
    To me I find Ribrianne and her two comrades alright through I wish they were stronger but I do like their design and ability with Rozie being my favorite out of the three.