Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:52 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Despite how short it was, I find Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu fight more memorable than Vegetto vs Buuhan.
I agree, the fight with Boohan on both medias sucked pretty bad, Zamasu at least brought some scale of difficulty to Vegetto which was interesting to see.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:36 am

I thought Majin Buu was an utterly ridiculous and shoddy main antagonist in the manga's story (and I still do).

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I thought Majin Buu was an utterly ridiculous and shoddy main antagonist in the manga's story (and I still do).
Fat Buu was fun, this massively build up villain was an unpredictable fat pink blob and a good step up from the dull Cell then Super Buu happened then he absorbed and became more talkative and just boring then kid/pure Buu was a snooze.
jeffbr92 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Despite how short it was, I find Vegetto vs Merged Zamasu fight more memorable than Vegetto vs Buuhan.
I agree, the fight with Boohan on both medias sucked pretty bad, Zamasu at least brought some scale of difficulty to Vegetto which was interesting to see.
That is because having protagonists beat and or toy on antagonists effortlessly is boring, the manga version of Vegetto Buu fight is more tolerable it's short and you don't question the dumbness of Vegetto's plan but the anime dragging it on becomes so boring so quick. On the flipside in the Trunks arc of DBS having Vegetto go all out and still not come close to defeating Zamasu sells him as a villain (and then later even being cut in freaking half doesn't stop Zamasu!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:30 am

It can get boring, but it's nice to see the tables turn on the villain. It's also boring if it's one sided, regardless of which side it is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:14 pm

I think the Dragon Ball Super's dub is pretty good. I think the hate is overblown
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:28 pm

The Patrolman wrote:I think the Dragon Ball Super's dub is pretty good. I think the hate is overblown
Exactly. So many people gripe about the littlest things in the dub rather than having fun with it like the people producing the dub are doing. Some things like mistranslations or maybe some dub lines not being that good on their own, I get, but we're not gonna have a 100% direct translation & I think people need to get over that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:27 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I thought Majin Buu was an utterly ridiculous and shoddy main antagonist in the manga's story (and I still do).
I dont think that this is really that unpopular if at all.

Buu is an extremely boring villain and just very annoying. Definitely the worst of Z and probably the worst in the franchise (not including Gt)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 am

ABED wrote:So it's not so much people who have a problem with Chichi that you take issue with, it's the type of arguments you have an issue with.
Yes, and thanks to Super they're worse than ever before. It must be hell being a Chi-Chi fan having to deal with all their meaningless rants and parroting.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 am

PFM18 wrote:
Buu is an extremely boring villain and just very annoying. Definitely the worst of Z and probably the worst in the franchise (not including Gt)
I don't understand how a villain which got more character development than most is considered boring, he was more complex than Freeza and Cell
you may not like his antics but it was a formidable villain in my opinion, I never understood the hate for the Buu arc

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I don't understand how a villain which got more character development than most is considered boring, he was more complex than Freeza and Cell
you may not like his antics but it was a formidable villain in my opinion, I never understood the hate for the Buu arc
He was boring because Fat Buu was an annoying child and Kid Buu was incapable of verbalizing anything close to a coherent thought.

Unlike with Cell and Freeza, Buu deprives the viewer of any interesting dialogue to complement the fights

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:32 am

Buu as a character where the parts are greater than the sum. There are lots of moments from fat Buu that I found interesting. Kid Buu's sheer nihilism made for some cool moments, but overall I feel Buu overstays his welcome.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 am

ABED wrote:Buu as a character where the parts are greater than the sum. There are lots of moments from fat Buu that I found interesting. Kid Buu's sheer nihilism made for some cool moments, but overall I feel Buu overstays his welcome.
I think every Boo was its own character, even the various Super Boo forms; that's enough to keep him interesting as he morphs throughout the arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:Buu as a character where the parts are greater than the sum. There are lots of moments from fat Buu that I found interesting. Kid Buu's sheer nihilism made for some cool moments, but overall I feel Buu overstays his welcome.
I think every Boo was its own character, even the various Super Boo forms; that's enough to keep him interesting as he morphs throughout the arc.
They are all their own character but I don't find the other forms that interesting. The arc sags in the middle for that very reason.

Unpopular opinion - Clinkenbeard is good as young Goku and we didn't get to hear enough of it.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Toriyama's artwork/designs were perfect during the 23rd budokai and should'nt have changed as much as they did. Look at one piece, Luffy has hardly changed at all from a physical perspective in over 20 years of Oda drawing the series and i think that's for the best.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:20 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Plus, Zamasu was at least an interesting villain unlike Buu at all.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:32 pm

Despite how fearsome he was the fact alone he accepted to stop killing people only because M. Satan asked him makes him an interesting villain IMHO
I can totally get if someone did not like the childish nature of his first form, or his lack of dialogue in the later ones -even though these were both traits I personally liked a lot, the first one for the contrast, and the second one for the dehumanizing aspect- but he actually went through some development, unlike most other villains in the series actually lol

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm

majinwarman wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Plus, Zamasu was at least an interesting villain unlike Buu at all.
agreed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:28 pm

It might be pedantic of me but I wouldn't call Buu changing forms to be character development, at least not in the same way Vegeta or even fat Buu did. They had changes of heart. Buu's personality changes were because he absorbed another character and took on some different traits.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

I don't disagree with that ABED, I was mostly referring to fat Buu but the change of tones he had through his various forms did change him in the way he acted, not strictly character development but still something that renewed from mere powerups lol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Fair point. I was just being pedantic. He certainly does change not just physcially, though whether you find his different personalities appealing is opinion.