Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:31 pm

I just remembered this. I don't understand the unbridled hatred for Super/Super Heroes/BOG/RF's artstyle some people have. Yeah, I agree that it's not the best the franchise has ever looked or the best when it came to an ongoing anime series that was very rushed into production & being done mostly by newbies, but worth hating as much as some people in this fandom do? Nope!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Lore is mostly boring and it's not a failing of Toriyama's for not putting more emphasis on it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:15 am

ABED wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:21 pm Lore is mostly boring and it's not a failing of Toriyama's for not putting more emphasis on it.
Kinda shallow thinking that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 am

Care to provide counter points?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:53 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 am Care to provide counter points?
I mean most people enjoy lore than some.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:08 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:50 pm I'm not sure what the problem is with Ressurection F. Why wouldn't Freeza be brought back and killed off? What's he gonna do, survive?
The movie has for me entertainment value, but the idea behind it is certainly poorly-thought of. Freeza IMO should NEVER be brought back. He had his run in the original run (redundancy, I know) and that should have been it. Well, perhaps he could have been brought back. Once. I did not the episodes yet, but I already know he's back again in Super. Now THAT is definitely pushing it! Now, it is breaking it! :lol:

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:09 am

I love any version of Gohan, including his F Movie self - there is just something about him being overpowered nerd looking guy.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 am

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:53 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:34 am Care to provide counter points?
They enjoy story. It's not the exposition that they love. There's nothing shallow about that thinking, in fact it's quite the opposite.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:04 am

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 am
They enjoy story. It's not the exposition that they love. There's nothing shallow about that thinking, in fact it's quite the opposite.
Then you never seen lore videos dude

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:32 am

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:04 am
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 am

I don't know what this means.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:57 am

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:32 am
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:04 am
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 am They enjoy story. It's not the exposition that they love. There's nothing shallow about that thinking, in fact it's quite the opposite.
I don't know what this means.
There are a lot of lore videos like people playing videos and even Star Wars lore on the internet you haven’t research them yourself yet.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:01 am

Those videos aren't reflective of the culture at large. Star Wars draws viewers because we love Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, Vader, Lando, R2-D2, etc. Lore is exposition. It's enjoyable in small doses but it's not what actually draws people in, not even hardcore nerds. The same applies to DB. We watch for the characters, the fun battles, the humor, not for backstory or insight into Saiyan culture or what Freeza's race is like or the origins of the Red Ribbon Army.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:01 am Those videos aren't reflective of the culture at large. Star Wars draws viewers because we love Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, Vader, Lando, R2-D2, etc. Lore is exposition. It's enjoyable in small doses but it's not what actually draws people in, not even hardcore nerds. The same applies to DB. We watch for the characters, the fun battles, the humor, not for backstory or insight into Saiyan culture or what Freeza's race is like or the origins of the Red Ribbon Army.
You clearly haven’t seen the lore videos and lore keepers before. Also look up lore on search and they really have lore nuts over there
Last edited by Toxin45 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 am

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:32 pm It's bad enough that Freeza is brought back, given a new form that's just a recolor, only to be killed off. Not only is he killed off again, but he's defeated for the exact same reason he lost the last time. His full power is little more than a form that drains his power which he doesn't realize because he doesn't train enough.
Chekov's Gun is a GREAT writing trope when used right.
That's not a trope as much as something at the heart of great writing - set up and payoff.

Vegeta not getting the kill was not the reason it was all a waste. Bringing Freeza back to begin with was the mistake. Been there, done that. Turning one of the best villains of all time, certainly one of DB's best, into a comic book supervillain who gets beaten time after time after time. This is the core of the issue.
Then he came back in the tournament of power and broly movie

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:01 am Those videos aren't reflective of the culture at large. Star Wars draws viewers because we love Han, Luke, Chewie, Leia, Vader, Lando, R2-D2, etc. Lore is exposition. It's enjoyable in small doses but it's not what actually draws people in, not even hardcore nerds. The same applies to DB. We watch for the characters, the fun battles, the humor, not for backstory or insight into Saiyan culture or what Freeza's race is like or the origins of the Red Ribbon Army.
You clearly haven’t seen the lore videos and lore keepers before.
I have interacted with plenty of these types and I can say with certainty that not only are they not reflective of the larger culture, that even they are responding more to the stories. The lore isn't what drew them in, it just enriched it. Unfortunately, many can't identify, much less articulate why something worked for them, so they point to things like lore.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 am

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am
You clearly haven’t seen the lore videos and lore keepers before.
I have interacted with plenty of these types and I can say with certainty that not only are they not reflective of the larger culture, that even they are responding more to the stories. The lore isn't what drew them in, it just enriched it. Unfortunately, many can't identify, much less articulate why something worked for them, so they point to things like lore.
then don’t insult the lore for people then.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am

I'm not insulting it, but pointing out many place way too much importance on it when by its nature, the lore is merely there to be a small facet and in service of the story, not the other way around.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:25 am

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am I'm not insulting it, but pointing out many place way too much importance on it when by its nature, the lore is merely there to be a small facet and in service of the story, not the other way around.
Well some people love expositions

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 am

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:25 am
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:21 am I'm not insulting it, but pointing out many place way too much importance on it when by its nature, the lore is merely there to be a small facet and in service of the story, not the other way around.
First, it's just exposition - singular. And second, some people do enjoy it, but most people don't love stories slowing to a crawl to explain everything, and even those that like exposition more than others are still responding more to the story than the lore, whether they believe so or not. How do I know? Call it a lifetime of talking about stories with people.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:39 am

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 am
Toxin45 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:25 am
First, it's just exposition - singular. And second, some people do enjoy it, but most people don't love stories slowing to a crawl to explain everything, and even those that like exposition more than others are still responding more to the story than the lore, whether they believe so or not. How do I know? Call it a lifetime of talking about stories with people.
Sounds like you have a rough experience