Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Not wrong considering it's a fairly upbeat story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:37 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:32 am I don't consider throwing a witch into an oven "dark" but ok.

The guy said Z and GT were darker compared to DB, not simply dark.

I think if any release is missing the NEPs, then there's a problem. It's an incomplete release.
Killing someone by burning them alive is pretty damn dark. If that's not dark then what is? Certainly attempting to murder children by fattening them up to cannibalize them is dark. You don't believe so, but okay.

I guess Z is darker than DB, but not GT, not by a long shot.
I mean if it's a witch or monster you're dealing with, burning them to death seems pretty ordinary to me. And eating fat children sounds more lighthearted and humorous than dark. I think it helps that these are fairy tales and fantasy stories so things don't always seem so dark.

I thought that the Baby arc was somewhat dark. I think GT had the potential to be darker than it was, if they had allowed themselves to go that route.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:16 pm

Seem being the opartive word there. It's a story about murder, cannibalism and child abandonment. And fairy tales are dark, not the disney-fied version but the actual fairy tales. I don't know why that's not dark but somehow Dragon Ball is.

The Baby arc isn't that dark. There's some tension but it's plenty suitable for children.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JamesDaSpaghettiTaco

Post by JamesDaSpaghettiTaco » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:18 am

nickzambuto wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 am
JamesDaSpaghettiTaco wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:40 am I prefer GT over Super, it has superior animation, a better soundtrack,not better but more consistent writing, 2 forms that makes sense for saiyans to have. It was more appealing to me honestly
Where does GT have better animation? What are the best animated parts of GT?
Unlike Super, GT has more consistent animation that in general just looks better, and yes I'll agree when shintani steps in as ki animator, GT doesn't stand a chance, but if i had to pick the best animated parts of gt i'd say most of the episodes that are Supervised by Masahiro Shimanuki

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:11 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:14 am I've never cared for next episode previews. Even in Japanese they always felt silly and out of place, especially with the darker tone of Z and GT (OG DB is alright I guess), plus they usually spoil the best parts of the upcoming episode.
I can see where you're coming from.

People complain that the Faulconer score altered what was supposed to be an unnerving tone for Goku going SS1, but nobody seems to care that the Japanese version immediately followed it with an upbeat sounding NEP.

I mostly like NEPs, but using the same music for them all can contradict the tone at times. That's why I really appreciated Super changing it up for the Goku Black arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:34 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:11 pm
KPike87 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:14 am I've never cared for next episode previews. Even in Japanese they always felt silly and out of place, especially with the darker tone of Z and GT (OG DB is alright I guess), plus they usually spoil the best parts of the upcoming episode.
I can see where you're coming from.

People complain that the Faulconer score altered what was supposed to be an unnerving tone for Goku going SS1, but nobody seems to care that the Japanese version immediately followed it with an upbeat sounding NEP.

I mostly like NEPs, but using the same music for them all can contradict the tone at times. That's why I really appreciated Super changing it up for the Goku Black arc.
I see that point but there's a world of difference between a NEP using a music cue that slightly clashes with the tone of the upcoming episode and an episode itself using a music cue that clashes with the intended emotion. The NEP can be excised and absolutely nothing changes in the story.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am

Well, now that I have joined this forum, I suppose I will express a few of my opinions here (if this is considered necroposting, I apologize in advance).

-Sleeping Princess is the best [non canon] film made for the WHOLE Dragon Ball franchise.
-I don't mind Lunch not being present in the later arcs, I just wish her character was at least given an actual send off (none of that depressed alcoholism bullshit)
-Saiyaman arc Gohan was his peak as a character.
-Fat Buu is the best Buu, Kid Buu was the worst.
-Jiren was not a BAD villain, he was just kind of average.
-The Arale-chan episode was the best thing in DBS.
-"Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return" is the best DBZ special.
-Detekoi tobikiri ZENKAI POWER is the best song produced for the show (IMPO).
-My hottest take: Fuck the Ox King. He was a murderous tyrant who got away with his crimes.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:28 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am Well, now that I have joined this forum, I suppose I will express a few of my opinions here (if this is considered necroposting, I apologize in advance).

-Sleeping Princess is the best [non canon] film made for the WHOLE Dragon Ball franchise.
-I don't mind Lunch not being present in the later arcs, I just wish her character was at least given an actual send off (none of that depressed alcoholism bullshit)
-Saiyaman arc Gohan was his peak as a character.
-Fat Buu is the best Buu, Kid Buu was the worst.
-Jiren was not a BAD villain, he was just kind of average.
-The Arale-chan episode was the best thing in DBS.
-"Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return" is the best DBZ special.
-Detekoi tobikiri ZENKAI POWER is the best song produced for the show (IMPO).
-My hottest take: Fuck the Ox King. He was a murderous tyrant who got away with his crimes.
It’s definitely not necroposting. You have nothing to worry about.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:32 am

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:28 am It’s definitely not necroposting. You have nothing to worry about.
Ah thanks. I just wanted to bring back some discussion here. :D

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Tarble OVA being the best one shouldn't be that remarkable. I mean, it is competing against those OVAs about Goku fire brigade, and I think there's one about crossing streets safely. The Bardock OVA is cool for me personally.

Then for Dragon Ball Z, there's only Hatchiyack OVA. I never watched the original one, but the remake was okay, I guess.

Tarble OVA is this really good slice of life material that I seek once in a while. It's good to have it so that we see characters doing other things, great interactions can come out of it. It's in moments like this that characters (especially Goku) can be goofy, relaxing and enjoying the peace. Not like in certain series out there which Goku is happy all the time, even in serious occasions, anyway.

I just wished it had caused more impact overall. But so far, all there is to it are two mentions to Tarble. Sure more than that could be done.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:10 pm Tarble OVA being the best one shouldn't be that remarkable. I mean, it is competing against those OVAs about Goku fire brigade, and I think there's one about crossing streets safely.
Oh no no, I don't mean it is the best OVA. I mean best of ALL specials, INCLUDING the TV ones.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:44 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:10 pm Tarble OVA being the best one shouldn't be that remarkable. I mean, it is competing against those OVAs about Goku fire brigade, and I think there's one about crossing streets safely. The Bardock OVA is cool for me personally.

Then for Dragon Ball Z, there's only Hatchiyack OVA. I never watched the original one, but the remake was okay, I guess.
Maybe I’m being pedantic but the Bardock was a tv special and Yo Son Goku and his friend returns got a theatrical release as part of Jump Super Anime Tour by definition they’re not OVAs since an OVA, as it name implies is straight to video.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:27 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:14 pm Oh no no, I don't mean it is the best OVA. I mean best of ALL specials, INCLUDING the TV ones.
Really? Then by all means, do tell us your reason. As good as Tarble OVA may be, I can't see it being better than Bardock TV Special and probably Trunks TV Special too.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:44 pm Maybe I’m being pedantic but the Bardock was a tv special and Yo Son Goku and his friend returns got a theatrical release as part of Jump Super Anime Tour by definition they’re not OVAs since an OVA, as it name implies is straight to video.
By "Bardock OVA" I mean the Episode of Bardock. I didn't know it got a theatrical release, since it is still a Japanese-only material, and Dragon Ball movies are released internationally. Did the Japanese audience really go to the actual movies to watch it? Thought it had appeared in an event only.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:21 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:27 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:14 pm Oh no no, I don't mean it is the best OVA. I mean best of ALL specials, INCLUDING the TV ones.
Really? Then by all means, do tell us your reason. As good as Tarble OVA may be, I can't see it being better than Bardock TV Special and probably Trunks TV Special too.
Don't get me wrong, HoT and Bardock FoG are damn good specials. I just have some gripes with them.
My main issues with HoT reside on these four points:
First, why couldn't Goku communicate with his family via King Kai? There really is no explanation given...
Second, how the hell did Trunks survive the androids blasting him? It just felt like a stupid plot contrivance...
Third, where did Cell fit into this? Surely, if Cell came back to a time before Trunks did, then he should be in both the "future" and "present" timelines...but this is not addressed at all.
Fourth, if Bulma could build a spacecraft that goes through freaking time, why could she not have built a space ship to go to Namek and use their Dragon Balls? Again, there is no explanation for this.
It's a shame, everything else in the special is some of the best in Dragon Ball, but man, these issues really sour my views on it.

The Bardock special, however, is actually a damn brilliant special. However, I did not feel like the spiel about Bardock seeing the future was totally necessary and the special would have done fine without it. Sure, it does tie into the plot point of Bardock being disappointed in his son Kakarot, but this is another gripe I have with the special: I don't think his contempt for his son due to his low power level is warranted. I mean, I know that Saiyans do not have the most loving relationship with their offspring, but with Bardock being a low-class Saiyan himself, surely his son having a low power level would be expected. Don't get be wrong, I still think the Bardock special is a damn brilliant and engaging story, barely equal in entertainment value in my eyes with the "Tarble OVA", had it not been for these personal issues.

I don't think I need to go in depth into why the "Tarble OVA" is my favorite. It is a hilarious comedy with great gags, fun action, and just an overall warm atmosphere (maybe that's just nostalgia but w/e). Yes, I know I sound like a sheeplike fanboy fanning over what is essentially tightly packaged fan-service, but this is still only my personal opinion.

TL;DR: I prefer having keys being jangled in my face /s

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 pm

I actually really liked Kid Boo and it was a nice return to form for him after Super Boo felt too much like channeling Perfect Cell after he absorbed Piccolo/Gotenks and Gohan.

Kid Boo felt like a more primal version of the character and pure evil even more than regular Super Boo was, and it was nice to return to that for the final fight of DBZ. If he just stayed as Super Boo the whole way, it'd be kinda boring just seeing another "intelligent" enemy defeated as he became too similar to Cell at that point.

I love Kid Boo's craziness.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:02 am

I never thought DBZA was funny their old episodes are just the rAnDoMs XD LOL and the new ones where just the same 10 jokes like "lol Goku is dumb", but I guess that's just me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:25 am

Its not just you. I hate DBZA too!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:53 am

precita wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 pm I actually really liked Kid Boo and it was a nice return to form for him after Super Boo felt too much like channeling Perfect Cell after he absorbed Piccolo/Gotenks and Gohan.
I was just very irritated with Kid Buu. Something about his stupid voice rubbed me the wrong way.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:57 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:53 am I was just very irritated with Kid Buu. Something about his stupid voice rubbed me the wrong way.
I like Kid Buu's design, but yeah. The sounds he makes can be grating. It's like he turns into a very talkative chimpanzee.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:03 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:57 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:53 am I was just very irritated with Kid Buu. Something about his stupid voice rubbed me the wrong way.
I like Kid Buu's design, but yeah. The sounds he makes can be grating. It's like he turns into a very talkative chimpanzee.
So I guess Kid Buu vs Vegeta + Goku was actually a monkey fight?