Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:58 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:31 pm Majin Boo is an ancient evil spirit created by black magic that destroyed most of the universe and even crossed over into the Next World. It's just in no way believable that there would be someone stronger than him just chilling in outer space.
Because? Human doctor on Earth had no problem creating twin cyborgs stronger than Frieza, a galactic tyrant feared by everyone.
A lot of GT or DBS characters are stronger than Buu. Your point doesn't make any sense.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:58 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:31 pm Majin Boo is an ancient evil spirit created by black magic that destroyed most of the universe and even crossed over into the Next World. It's just in no way believable that there would be someone stronger than him just chilling in outer space.
Because? Human doctor on Earth had no problem creating twin cyborgs stronger than Frieza, a galactic tyrant feared by everyone.
A lot of GT or DBS characters are stronger than Buu. Your point doesn't make any sense.
Doctor Gero analyzed Goku and company for years and years before creating the androids, and had mathematics and artificial resources at his disposal. It's not unbelievable that he could do what he did with science, even if it's a bit of a stretch. Freeza and the Saiyans were just mortal men when all is said and done. Majin Boo was an ancient evil created by a sorcerer far out in space millions of years ago.

Rilld who was only a couple decades old at most on some planet of machines, who was not even the top guy, is in no way believable as stronger than Boo. Baby, maybe I could understand, even though it's a stretch.

GT villains being stronger than Boo doesn't work, simply because the manga was over and Boo was supposed to be the final ultimate villain. So there's no way to make the GT powers believable. The viewer just has to go with it.

One thing that at least Super did was to make it believable for there to be more powerful villains. By making them be gods from higher realms and warriors from parallel worlds outside the universe.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:03 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:58 pm
Doctor Gero analyzed Goku and company for years and years before creating the androids, and had mathematics and artificial resources at his disposal. It's not unbelievable that he could do what he did with science, even if it's a bit of a stretch. Freeza and the Saiyans were just mortal men when all is said and done. Majin Boo was an ancient evil created by a sorcerer far out in space millions of years ago.

Rilld who was only a couple decades old at most on some planet of machines, who was not even the top guy, is in no way believable as stronger than Boo. Baby, maybe I could understand, even though it's a stretch.

GT villains being stronger than Boo doesn't work, simply because the manga was over and Boo was supposed to be the final ultimate villain. So there's no way to make the GT powers believable. The viewer just has to go with it.

One thing that at least Super did was to make it believable for there to be more powerful villains. By making them be gods from higher realms and warriors from parallel worlds outside the universe.
Resources? He worked alone out of a mountain. Rildo was the general of an army of mutant machines. He has a whole planet at his disposal.

The viewer just has to go with everything. That the manga was finished is not relevant.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:32 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 pm GT villains being stronger than Boo doesn't work, simply because the manga was over and Boo was supposed to be the final ultimate villain. So there's no way to make the GT powers believable. The viewer just has to go with it.

Why is it more believable for Super but not for GT? I get that we're talking supreme beings and gods, but GT villains being stronger is no different from introducing biologically-enhanced humans who were stronger than galactic overlord Frieza. The same Frieza whom Super made bridge the gap between his Android saga level and Super Saiyan Blue within 4 months. You kind of have to just roll with it at this point.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:03 pm Rildo was the general of an army of mutant machines. He has a whole planet at his disposal.

The viewer just has to go with everything. That the manga was finished is not relevant.
So what if he has manpower? Rilld himself should not be as powerful as Boo. Gero used Goku as his basis for designing the androids. What did Doctor Mu use? How could the machines be so powerful?

The viewer didn't have to just go with everything previously. There was logic and reason and internal consistency. GT threw that out.

The manga being finished meant that they had to put much more effort into the villains, because after Majin Boo, how could there logically be anyone stronger? Super used logic, GT didn't bother.

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:32 pm Why is it more believable for Super but not for GT? I get that we're talking supreme beings and gods, but GT villains being stronger is no different from introducing biologically-enhanced humans who were stronger than galactic overlord Frieza. The same Frieza whom Super made bridge the gap between his Android saga level and Super Saiyan Blue within 4 months. You kind of have to just roll with it at this point.
Gods are simply more believable than machines or aliens from space.

Freeza's power up is ridiculous, true, but I don't think that proves that you just have to roll with everything necessarily. Freeza's entire return was an asspull to begin with.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:50 pm

I mean, no, you don't have to roll with everything. It's just that if you've rolled with it up to this point, I don't see how Rildo being stronger than Boo is less believable than androids being stronger than Frieza, the Saiyans, etc.

For me, Rildo doesn't feel as strong only because he isn't written to be the major villain that Boo was. Same reason Dabura doesn't feel stronger than Super Perfect Cell, because Dabura clearly wasn't the main villain of the saga he was in. Therefore, we don't see them putting on the same displays of power.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm

Kami and Piccolo were literally supposed to be God and The Devil w/ Piccolo Jr being the Devil's son, baseline knowledge of most religions will tell that you nothing is supposed to be stronger than God or Devil yet Goku surpassed them both. Then BOOM! in the very next arc, Aliens are stronger than God, The Devil's Son and Goku, rectons happen and Goku even meets a "Real God' and surpasses even him in just over 6 months. I say all that to say that we all've been just rolling with it a lot longer than most folks realize, some instances are more jarring than others (Golden Freeza) but thats just the nature of the beast.

My own unpopular opinion is that I don't understand some fan's obsession of there being some big "I'm proud of you son!" moment between Goku and Bardock being written into the story. Its wholly unnecessary and adds nothing to Goku's character since he has no emotional connection to him, he already had his moment with Grandpa Gohan, the man who actually raised him. While it could be an interesting interaction I think its best to just leave it to the video games.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:55 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm My own unpopular opinion is that I don't understand some fan's obsession of there being some big "I'm proud of you son!" moment between Goku and Bardock being written into the story. Its wholly unnecessary and adds nothing to Goku's character since he has no emotional connection to him, he already had his moment with Grandpa Gohan, the man who actually raised him. While it could be an interesting interaction I think its best to just leave it to the video games.
Somehow I doubt this is an unpopular stance. It definitely isn't with me.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:58 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:55 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm My own unpopular opinion is that I don't understand some fan's obsession of there being some big "I'm proud of you son!" moment between Goku and Bardock being written into the story. Its wholly unnecessary and adds nothing to Goku's character since he has no emotional connection to him, he already had his moment with Grandpa Gohan, the man who actually raised him. While it could be an interesting interaction I think its best to just leave it to the video games.
Somehow I doubt this is an unpopular stance. It definitely isn't with me.
Its probably not all that unpopular here but across social media and Youtube I still see many fans who salivate at the idea.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:29 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:50 pm I mean, no, you don't have to roll with everything. It's just that if you've rolled with it up to this point, I don't see how Rildo being stronger than Boo is less believable than androids being stronger than Frieza, the Saiyans, etc.
It's less believable because Freeza and the Saiyans were simply aliens, mortals. Majin Boo was an ancient spirit who almost destroyed existence itself. A machine like Rilld comparing to an all-powerful supernatural being isn't very believable to me. Also, there's logic given to why Gero's research would result in warriors that were as strong as they were, but not for Mu and the Machine Mutants. The point where you have to roll with it starts with GT is what I'm saying.

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm Kami and Piccolo were literally supposed to be God and The Devil w/ Piccolo Jr being the Devil's son, baseline knowledge of most religions will tell that you nothing is supposed to be stronger than God or Devil yet Goku surpassed them both. Then BOOM! in the very next arc, Aliens are stronger than God, The Devil's Son and Goku, rectons happen and Goku even meets a "Real God' and surpasses even him in just over 6 months.
Dragon Ball is not a Judeo-Christian story or any kind of strictly religious story. No one should expect its depiction of God and the Devil to adhere to any religion in the first place.

And it was revealed at the end of the Daimao arc that God himself was a mere mortal like Goku who had studied under and succeeded the previous God. So no one should be surprised that there are other beings out there who might be stronger. That's not a retcon, in any sense.

Bardock doesn't have to have a "proud of you" moment with Goku to show up in the series. It's just interesting to explore how it would be to have father and son fighting together, side by side. Same with King Vegeta. Having those two characters return could make for a good story and not just to have emotional moments.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:29 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm Kami and Piccolo were literally supposed to be God and The Devil w/ Piccolo Jr being the Devil's son, baseline knowledge of most religions will tell that you nothing is supposed to be stronger than God or Devil yet Goku surpassed them both. Then BOOM! in the very next arc, Aliens are stronger than God, The Devil's Son and Goku, rectons happen and Goku even meets a "Real God' and surpasses even him in just over 6 months.
Dragon Ball is not a Judeo-Christian story or any kind of strictly religious story. No one should expect its depiction of God and the Devil to adhere to any religion in the first place.

And it was revealed at the end of the Daimao arc that God himself was a mere mortal like Goku who had studied under and succeeded the previous God. So no one should be surprised that there are other beings out there who might be stronger. That's not a retcon, in any sense.

Bardock doesn't have to have a "proud of you" moment with Goku to show up in the series. It's just interesting to explore how it would be to have father and son fighting together, side by side. Same with King Vegeta. Having those two characters return could make for a good story and not just to have emotional moments.
I don't think krump's point was that Dragon Ball is a Judeo-Christian story, and he never said anything about it adhering to a specific religion, so I'm not sure where you got that. The point is that at the time in the story, Kami, King Piccolo, and Piccolo Jr. still represented the Dragon Ball world's version of God and the Devil (again, not Judeo-Christian, but they still represented something similar). Dragon Ball had reached the spiritual realm, and then we actually see Goku surpass it.

Bardock and Goku fighting side-by-side doesn't interest me at all. Maybe in a What-If of if Planet Vegeta had never blown up. But if it's "good" Bardock, I'd rather just see Goku and Gohan fighting side-by-side. Seeing King Vegeta and Vegeta fighting side-by-side actually does interest me, but not enough to warrant bringing him back.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:12 am

Regardless, he still meets a real god in Kaio-Sama (who's thousands of years old) who'm he quickly surpasses. By your logic it shouldnt be possible especially so quickly.
Whats so interesting about Prince Vegeta and King Vegeta doing a joint Galick Gun? Or Goku and Bardock doing their respective signature moves at the same time? The spectacle aside (which really doesnt sound all that impressive anyway) how does any of that push Goku and Vegeta's character forward? Goku isnt gonna start taking an interest in wearing saiyan armor out of respect for his race and Vegeta is already a proud saiyan and even he sheds all the armor eventually, hell when we first meet him, he could give fuck all about resurrecting his people upon learning about the DBs.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:38 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 am The point is that at the time in the story, Kami, King Piccolo, and Piccolo Jr. still represented the Dragon Ball world's version of God and the Devil (again, not Judeo-Christian, but they still represented something similar). Dragon Ball had reached the spiritual realm, and then we actually see Goku surpass it.
But none of that was illogical or totally incomprehensible, because we had already seen Goku surpass and defeat Piccolo "The Devil", and we were told immediately by God that he had been just a mortal warrior prior to ascending the Heavens and taking over.

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 am But if it's "good" Bardock, I'd rather just see Goku and Gohan fighting side-by-side.
It wouldn't have to be "good" Bardock. He could still be an evil bastard and fight alongside Goku. That would be even more interesting.

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm Regardless, he still meets a real god in Kaio-Sama (who's thousands of years old) who'm he quickly surpasses. By your logic it shouldnt be possible especially so quickly.
It was possible because Goku trained directly under Kaio himself. Rilld didn't train under Majin Boo. Nor were Majin Boo or any gods said to have been the subject of Dr. Mu's research. There has to be some kind of logic involved in the writing, not just "he's stronger because we say so".

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 pm Whats so interesting about Prince Vegeta and King Vegeta doing a joint Galick Gun? Or Goku and Bardock doing their respective signature moves at the same time? The spectacle aside (which really doesnt sound all that impressive anyway) how does any of that push Goku and Vegeta's character forward? Goku isnt gonna start taking an interest in wearing saiyan armor out of respect for his race and Vegeta is already a proud saiyan and even he sheds all the armor eventually, hell when we first meet him, he could give fuck all about resurrecting his people upon learning about the DBs.
Goku and Vegeta could both learn lessons from their fathers and perhaps vice versa. It's not just about Saiyan pride. What can Bardock and Goku teach one another about the martial arts? What can Vegeta teach the King about family and friends? Maybe the King can teach his son some things that Vegeta assumed he already knew, but actually never did at all. Plus it would make for an interesting plot. Time travel? Parallel worlds? Clones? You never know. Fathers/Sons team-ups have potential.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:02 am

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:38 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 am The point is that at the time in the story, Kami, King Piccolo, and Piccolo Jr. still represented the Dragon Ball world's version of God and the Devil (again, not Judeo-Christian, but they still represented something similar). Dragon Ball had reached the spiritual realm, and then we actually see Goku surpass it.
But none of that was illogical or totally incomprehensible, because we had already seen Goku surpass and defeat Piccolo "The Devil", and we were told immediately by God that he had been just a mortal warrior prior to ascending the Heavens and taking over.

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:10 am But if it's "good" Bardock, I'd rather just see Goku and Gohan fighting side-by-side.
It wouldn't have to be "good" Bardock. He could still be an evil bastard and fight alongside Goku. That would be even more interesting.
To the first point, right, sure, I don't have any issue with that, either. The thing is, Dragon Ball has always been a series where the rules are made up as we go along. I still don't see why Rildo can't be stronger than Boo. Maybe it feels like a stretch, and maybe he isn't all that interesting of a character and lacks an extensive backstory/lore, but it doesn't feel illogical to me in a series that already doesn't have hard, fast rules (at least not as much as people seem to think). I just don't think Rildo stands out among villains as the sole violater of plausibility in Dragon Ball.

Why would I want to see evil bastard Bardock fight alongside Goku (unless Goku was also an evil bastard in this scenario, in which case I'd rather it be Raditz anyway)? I mean, if you're interested in that, cool, but nothing about that sounds all that appealing to me.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:06 am

To be fair, Freeza could destroy planets and we're supposed to believe a human can make androids that are far stronger than Freeza, developed by using a spycam to record fighters FAR weaker than Freeza..

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:36 am

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:03 pm Rildo was the general of an army of mutant machines. He has a whole planet at his disposal.

So what if he has manpower? Rilld himself should not be as powerful as Boo. Gero used Goku as his basis for designing the androids. What did Doctor Mu use? How could the machines be so powerful?

The viewer didn't have to just go with everything previously. There was logic and reason and internal consistency. GT threw that out.

The manga being finished meant that they had to put much more effort into the villains, because after Majin Boo, how could there logically be anyone stronger? Super used logic, GT didn't bother.

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:32 pm Why is it more believable for Super but not for GT? I get that we're talking supreme beings and gods, but GT villains being stronger is no different from introducing biologically-enhanced humans who were stronger than galactic overlord Frieza. The same Frieza whom Super made bridge the gap between his Android saga level and Super Saiyan Blue within 4 months. You kind of have to just roll with it at this point.
Gods are simply more believable than machines or aliens from space.

Freeza's power up is ridiculous, true, but I don't think that proves that you just have to roll with everything necessarily. Freeza's entire return was an asspull to begin with.
You overblow how much consistency there was with the rules of DB's world.

Why are gods more believable than machines or aliens?

How does the manga being finished mean they had to put more effort into the villains? How could anyone "logically" be any stronger than Freeza, said to be the strongest in the universe? Again, you have to go with it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:16 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:36 am Why are gods more believable than machines or aliens?

How does the manga being finished mean they had to put more effort into the villains?

How could anyone "logically" be any stronger than Freeza, said to be the strongest in the universe?
No one actually knew for certain whether Freeza was the strongest or not. That was just his reputation. Additionally, he was only strongest at that time. Cell and the androids emerged post-Freeza, and Boo was sealed away.

Majin Boo being the final villain of the manga meant that he was the most powerful in existence. So if the story continues, then they have to figure out a way to make a villain be somehow stronger than Boo. Logically, gods make more sense than simply mortal creatures or random machines that just happen to have some power. Majin Boo wasn't just another guy.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:25 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:16 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:36 am Why are gods more believable than machines or aliens?

How does the manga being finished mean they had to put more effort into the villains?

How could anyone "logically" be any stronger than Freeza, said to be the strongest in the universe?
No one actually knew for certain whether Freeza was the strongest or not. That was just his reputation. Additionally, he was only strongest at that time. Cell and the androids emerged post-Freeza, and Boo was sealed away.

Majin Boo being the final villain of the manga meant that he was the most powerful in existence. So if the story continues, then they have to figure out a way to make a villain be somehow stronger than Boo. Logically, gods make more sense than simply mortal creatures or random machines that just happen to have some power. Majin Boo wasn't just another guy.
Your own logic doesn’t even track.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:08 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:16 pm

By this logic, it's just as ridiculous that a lot of the non-deity fighters from other universes in Super (which is, well, just about all of them) are much more powerful than Boo.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:01 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:08 pm By this logic, it's just as ridiculous that a lot of the non-deity fighters from other universes in Super (which is, well, just about all of them) are much more powerful than Boo.
No, I mentioned earlier that fighters coming from other universes being stronger than Boo makes sense. Because they come from alternate dimensions, there's no telling how powerful any one person may or may not be.