Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:59 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm Mysterious Mr Enter isn’t really as insightful as he seems to think he is. His video on Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is pretty bad, and the way he angrily chose to defend that video didn’t exactly paint him in a positive light. Still, I wouldn’t agree with the idea that YouTube reviewers in general are awful. To try and bring this back to Dragon Ball, there are at least a couple of reviewers for the franchise who know what they’re talking about.
No joke, please let me know which of these critics actually did a good DB review, because with few exceptions almost every DB related video I’ve seen on Youtube has made me cringe like crazy. Mainly because it’s usually folks who only saw DBZ, only watched it dubbed, and are completely unfamiliar with the manga.

What can I say? I’m a DB snob. Lol
MistareFusion is definitely someone who’s knowledgeable about the original manga. Besides that, Totally Not Mark does seem reasonably well versed in the Japanese side of the franchise.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm Mysterious Mr Enter isn’t really as insightful as he seems to think he is. His video on Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is pretty bad, and the way he angrily chose to defend that video didn’t exactly paint him in a positive light. Still, I wouldn’t agree with the idea that YouTube reviewers in general are awful. To try and bring this back to Dragon Ball, there are at least a couple of reviewers for the franchise who know what they’re talking about.
Not to mention he's trying to make a cartoon that has every problem he frequently complains about in other cartoons (mean-spiritedness, cliched characters, unoriginality, forced morals, etc.).

Let's not get started with his views on covid-19.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:48 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pm
Not to mention he's trying to make a cartoon that has every problem he frequently complains about in other cartoons (mean-spiritedness, cliched characters, unoriginality, forced morals, etc.).

Let's not get started with his views on covid-19.
He did say some ignorant stuff on his Deviant Art page, but the fact that he removed almost all of journal entries on DA tells me that he realized he was wrong about it.

I dunno Growing Around sounds like it has a lot of potential and I legitimately do want it to see the light of day.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm

I was being hyperbolic. It's not literally a principle, but I've seen enough to think that most of them are garbage. For every Lindsey Ellis there are 100s of awful ones,

What do you think constitutes "full on comedy"? It was definitely even in the anime VERY comically oriented. That's not a bad thing.
Well I didn't find Snyder's films tone deaf or monotonous in the least.
Yeah they are. They take themselves way too seriously and don't have much humor or lightness of touch. Humor is a good thing. It's something that humanizes people and fictional characters. It helps connect us, and yet those films are so bereft of that aspect. That's something that DB doesn't lack and it's the better for it because humor is human.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:19 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm I was being hyperbolic. It's not literally a principle, but I've seen enough to think that most of them are garbage. For every Lindsey Ellis there are 100s of awful ones,

What do you think constitutes "full on comedy"? It was definitely even in the anime VERY comically oriented. That's not a bad thing.
Yeah they are. They take themselves way too seriously and don't have much humor or lightness of touch. Humor is a good thing. It's something that humanizes people and fictional characters. It helps connect us, and yet those films are so bereft of that aspect. That's something that DB doesn't lack and it's the better for it because humor is human.
When i think of comedy anime, I think of stuff like Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

I was saying I MYSELF personally did not find Snyder's films "tone deaf" or "monotonous", are you saying your opinions on his films are cold hard facts now? :? I sure hope not.

Not EVERY single film has to have humor or lightness of touch though, I get enough of that from the MCU that I don't need it from DC as well, I like that they have such different approaches and it would be boring if DC just did the exact same stuff Marvel did.

I don't feel like the DC films were lacking in "humanizing" characters at all, I saw Man of Steel with my mom in theaters and we both had a really good time. Angry Joe did an awesome positive review of that film, and he's definitely not "garbage" in the least:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34t0QQPlmLs

I think there's more good then bad reviewers on Youtube, at least from what i've seen.

I agree that DB is better for its humor though.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:24 pm
I dunno I feel like the only people who hate Teen Titans Go are people who were overly attached to the old series. And the old series still exist. 65 episodes and a tv movie.
Teen Titans GO is one of those things that people should have ignored in the first place. It's a dumb kids show by the end of the day and it is no different from the kid's style spin-offs that they did in the 90s like A Pup named Scooby-Doo, Yo Yogi!, Tom & Jerry Kids, etc. If people don't like something, don't watch it. The original Teen Titans show was hardly a masterpiece in my opinion. There is bigger things to be upset about in the world than a dumb kids spin-off.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:19 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:04 pm I was being hyperbolic. It's not literally a principle, but I've seen enough to think that most of them are garbage. For every Lindsey Ellis there are 100s of awful ones,

I was saying I MYSELF personally did not find Snyder's films "tone deaf" or "monotonous", are you saying your opinions on his films are cold hard facts now? :? I sure hope not.

Not EVERY single film has to have humor or lightness of touch though, I get enough of that from the MCU that I don't need it from DC as well, I like that they have such different approaches and it would be boring if DC just did the exact same stuff Marvel did.

I don't feel like the DC films were lacking in "humanizing" characters at all, I saw Man of Steel with my mom in theaters and we both had a really good time. Angry Joe did an awesome positive review of that film, and he's definitely not "garbage" in the least:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34t0QQPlmLs

I think there's more good then bad reviewers on Youtube, at least from what i've seen.

You are creating this false dichotomy. It's not between comedy and drama. There's a spectrum. And I do think superhero films by their nature need humor because of the inherent absurdity of the concept. I like a good mix.

Yes, it is a cold heart fact that those films are monotonous. There's just "serious, serious, serious". You may like that, but it's all his films did. Where is the humor? Where is the romance? Where is the light? Where is the contrast? Contrast is utterly lacking in those movies. It's an effective tool. Hell, look at the Ginyu Force. They are so goofy, but when they get serious, the contrast of their sadism and their goofiness works like gangbusters.

Yes, there are SOME good youtube reviewers, and I stress SOME.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:19 pm

You are creating this false dichotomy. It's not between comedy and drama. There's a spectrum. And I do think superhero films by their nature need humor because of the inherent absurdity of the concept. I like a good mix.

Yes, it is a cold heart fact that those films are monotonous. There's just "serious, serious, serious". You may like that, but it's all his films did. Where is the humor? Where is the romance? Where is the light? Where is the contrast? Contrast is utterly lacking in those movies. It's an effective tool. Hell, look at the Ginyu Force. They are so goofy, but when they get serious, the contrast of their sadism and their goofiness works like gangbusters.

Yes, there are SOME good youtube reviewers, and I stress SOME.
No I wasn't creating a false anything because I never once claimed there wasn't a spectrum, I just never saw DB as a comedy series.

No it's not a "fact" just cause you say it is, that's utter nonsense :roll:, I didn't find them monotonous nor did plenty of other fans that saw them. It's just your opinion and that's it, and no amount of you insisting its a fact(which it isn't) will change that.. Not EVERY single film HAS to have "light" or "contrast" in it though(now that's a false dichotomy if I ever saw one), it's an effective tool for some films, but not every film needs it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm I didn't find them monotonous nor did plenty of other fans that saw them. It's just your opinion and that's it, and no amount of you insisting its a fact(which it isn't) will change that.. Not EVERY single film HAS to have "light" or "contrast" in it though(now that's a false dichotomy if I ever saw one), it's an effective tool for some films, but not every film needs it.
No, it doesn't have to have contrast and those films don't. In and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but tell me where there are big shifts in tone in those movies?

And I still think superheroes are inherently goofy and need humor. Seriously, it's a bunch of people dressing up in colorful costumes to beat up bad guys. How is that not goofy?

What false dichotomy are you talking about?
Last edited by ABED on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm , I just never saw DB as a comedy series.
That’s fine it’s still a
comedy series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:09 pm

I'm sure I've said statements to the contrary but I absolutely believe in the value humor brings and the contrast works to highlight the more serious moments. By leaning into it, I can buy into the more serious moments in DB because the story itself isn't telling me to take it all completely earnestly, including characters named after foods.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm I didn't find them monotonous nor did plenty of other fans that saw them. It's just your opinion and that's it, and no amount of you insisting its a fact(which it isn't) will change that.. Not EVERY single film HAS to have "light" or "contrast" in it though(now that's a false dichotomy if I ever saw one), it's an effective tool for some films, but not every film needs it.
No, it doesn't have to have contrast and those films don't. In and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but tell me where there are big shifts in tone in those movies?

And I still think superheroes are inherently goofy and need humor. Seriously, it's a bunch of people dressing up in colorful costumes to beat up bad guys. How is that not goofy?

What false dichotomy are you talking about?
Well I disagree, not ALL comic-book characters are inherently goofy or need humor(certainly not the goddamn Punisher). I'm guessing you're not a fan of Alan Moore's Watchmen then? Just cause something is inherently silly does NOT automatically mean you HAVE to treat it like that all the time, I say there's not a goddamn thing wrong with taking it seriously. We get enough MCU films already, let the rest of us have our darker films, and we've already seen the definitive "light" take on Superman anyhow with the Donner films(plus the great animated series) so it made sense to try something new with him.

I'm talking about this notion that ALL films based on comic-books must have "lightness of tone" and whatnot.
ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:09 pm I'm sure I've said statements to the contrary but I absolutely believe in the value humor brings and the contrast works to highlight the more serious moments. By leaning into it, I can buy into the more serious moments in DB because the story itself isn't telling me to take it all completely earnestly, including characters named after foods.
I agree that it works well in DBZ at least.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm , I just never saw DB as a comedy series.
That’s fine it’s still a
comedy series.
Eh if you say so, for me a lot of others, we see it as a martial-arts/sci-fi/action series with occasional bits of comedy.

Pokemon is arguably more goofy yet i've never heard anyone call it a comedy before.
Last edited by Planetnamek on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Dragon Ball certainly started out as a comedy, but it’s much better known as a fighting series that influenced a bunch of later Japanese fighting stories.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:15 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 pm Dragon Ball certainly started out as a comedy, but it’s much better known as a fighting series that influenced a bunch of later Japanese fighting stories.
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 pm Dragon Ball certainly started out as a comedy, but it’s much better known as a fighting series that influenced a bunch of later Japanese fighting stories.
Yeah that's what i'm saying, DB may have started out as more of a comedy but it quickly became more action-oriented, i've seen too many people get the wrong perception that DB is all goofy-comedy while Z is all serious-action when neither are quite true.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Action-comedies are a thing that exist. Being more action oriented doesn’t negate it also being a comedy. Even in its most serious arc the central character is named after male shorts and the attempted big bads are an old geezer and a fat china doll.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 pm

The Punisher isn't a superhero. He's a vigilante and Frank Castle is straight out of a 1970s thriller like Death Wish. A vet using heavy artillery to kill criminals isn't unrealistic. The only difference is Castle lives in world with superheroes. It's not like Batman where it's billionaire dressed up like a nocturnal animal to fight crime.

Watchmen is completely different. It's not a superhero story. It's a deconstruction of the genre that show how inherently silly and problematic superheroes are if they were to exist in the real world.

Why do you want dark superheroes? It goes against the entire concept of superHEROES. And I'm not asking for the MCU to be used as a template for everything. Stop building strawmen. I didn't bring up Marvel. All I ask is some amount of appropriate levity instead of one note "this is serious". God, Logan had more comedy than Snyder's films. Having humor even generous amounts of it doesn't preclude things from being taken seriously. Breaking Bad is friggin hilarious. Good writers have the confidence to know that humor doesn't have to undercut the seriousness of the mood they are going for. Many writers go for one tone because they lack the confidence to mix tones. That's what makes writers like Shane Black, William Goldman, and Elmore Leonard so damn good. It's also what makes Toriyama good when he's at his best.

The issue with monotonous films is if they don't do it well, it ruins whatever effect they are going for. Toriyama was smart to constantly change things up.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 pm

Dragon Ball may have started out as a comedy (although never a straight up comedy) but that eventually was phased out. Of course it retains some comedic elements naturally.

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm And I still think superheroes are inherently goofy and need humor. Seriously, it's a bunch of people dressing up in colorful costumes to beat up bad guys. How is that not goofy?
I don't think it's goofy at all. Weird and fantastical maybe, but not something that necessarily calls for humor.

ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 pm The Punisher isn't a superhero. He's a vigilante and Frank Castle is straight out of a 1970s thriller like Death Wish. A vet using heavy artillery to kill criminals isn't unrealistic. The only difference is Castle lives in world with superheroes. It's not like Batman where it's billionaire dressed up like a nocturnal animal to fight crime.
You could argue that Batman isn't really a superhero either, and that Punisher is a superhero himself. The lines are easily blurred, especially among comic book characters who live in a world of superheroes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 pm

I’m actually hard pressed to think of a movie or television show with a single tone that does it well.

Even some of the darkest stuff has some levity.

Dragon Ball phased most of the heavy comedy out by the 22nd Budokai but it was still there. And back in full force for the final arc.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:19 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:29 pm Action-comedies are a thing that exist. Being more action oriented doesn’t negate it also being a comedy. Even in its most serious arc the central character is named after male shorts and the attempted big bads are an old geezer and a fat china doll.
Having silly elements to it doesn’t make something a comedy, otherwise Eraserhead would be a comedy. The purpose of something like the Cell arc is not to make people laugh.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 pm I’m actually hard pressed to think of a movie or television show with a single tone that does it well.

Even some of the darkest stuff has some levity.

Dragon Ball phased most of the heavy comedy out by the 22nd Budokai but it was still there. And back in full force for the final arc.
I'd argue the Marvel Netflix shows do it pretty well, Punisher especially.
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:19 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:29 pm Action-comedies are a thing that exist. Being more action oriented doesn’t negate it also being a comedy. Even in its most serious arc the central character is named after male shorts and the attempted big bads are an old geezer and a fat china doll.
Having silly elements to it doesn’t make something a comedy, otherwise Eraserhead would be a comedy. The purpose of something like the Cell arc is not to make people laugh.
Precisely, The Shield has some dark comedy but nobody in their right mind would ever call it anything other then a drama.
ABED wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 pm The Punisher isn't a superhero. He's a vigilante and Frank Castle is straight out of a 1970s thriller like Death Wish. A vet using heavy artillery to kill criminals isn't unrealistic. The only difference is Castle lives in world with superheroes. It's not like Batman where it's billionaire dressed up like a nocturnal animal to fight crime.

Watchmen is completely different. It's not a superhero story. It's a deconstruction of the genre that show how inherently silly and problematic superheroes are if they were to exist in the real world.

Why do you want dark superheroes? It goes against the entire concept of superHEROES. And I'm not asking for the MCU to be used as a template for everything. Stop building strawmen. I didn't bring up Marvel. All I ask is some amount of appropriate levity instead of one note "this is serious". God, Logan had more comedy than Snyder's films. Having humor even generous amounts of it doesn't preclude things from being taken seriously. Breaking Bad is friggin hilarious. Good writers have the confidence to know that humor doesn't have to undercut the seriousness of the mood they are going for. Many writers go for one tone because they lack the confidence to mix tones. That's what makes writers like Shane Black, William Goldman, and Elmore Leonard so damn good. It's also what makes Toriyama good when he's at his best.

The issue with monotonous films is if they don't do it well, it ruins whatever effect they are going for. Toriyama was smart to constantly change things up.
Goes against the entire concept for who exactly? Golden Age comics had some dark stuff until the Comics Code Authority was created and then they had to get neutered to please moral guardians, but we don't have to deal with that anymore, so I see nothing wrong with a different take on Superman.

I want dark superheroes because it's something different from the MCU.

I don't require EVERY single superhero film to have "Comedy" in it, I think that's an unnecessary and overly arbitrary standard.

The only one I see "building strawmen" here is you, by insisting that it's impossible for a superhero film to be dark. Good writers also know that it's entirely possible to take something seriously.

Yes Breaking Bad is funny, but it's not really what you'd call a comedy either, and i'm OK with other dramas like Walking Dead taking themselves pretty seriously.