Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by precita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 pm

Yeah Chris Sabat's Piccolo and Yamcha also improved tremendously too and he doesn't get enough credit for that either.

Also doesn't he still voice half the side characters? I'm pretty sure he still plays Kami, Mr. Popo, Shenron, I think Yajirobe and Ox King? Or did he give up some of them? Also does he still voice Zarbon and Recoome in the newer dubs? I remember he played like half the Ginyu Force last time.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:11 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:33 pm
HokutoNanto519 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 pm Greetings yet again! I follow quite a few accounts on twitter. On that note, I have to say that I have seen a big trend :o .

That trend being that people are in a bubble of sorts where they staunchly avoid non-kids stuff. Let me explain in greater detail.

Practically all of those aforementioned people are hyper-focused on Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Marvel movies, Star Wars, DC comics movies etc... it's all a bunch media intended for young children :wtf: . Wouldn't it be more fun to explore more stuff outside of that kind of bubble? Like, I see people barely making anything of their own. It's practically nothing but people taking a super well-known franchise (pretty much almost always shonen ones, too) and making fan art based on that. Occasionally they'll make stuff attempting to depict other stuff but lo and behold, it turns out to be yet another one based on a hyper-commercialized shonen manga/anime. I barely see "regular" folks talk about Martin Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola for instance. Barely anybody is talking about manga series like Shamo, Souten no Ken or Maison Ikkoku :( .

What I wonder is the following: why continue to be stuck in such a bubble willingly :thumbdown: ? Is it really that interesting to wade around in the same tired old mega-franchises of the past that's being regurgitated for practically forever? Is it really that interesting to experience the same old mega-franchises wayyyyy past their prime crank out increasingly crappy stuff ? Like, is it so difficult to ask folks to lay down the crappy Shonen Jump magazine for once and experience other (read: adult-oriented) things instead?

Yes, I like Dragon Ball a lot. However....... there are boatloads of things out there that are just as good if not outright better than it. Next time you are thinking of, say, complaining about how the latest chapter of the latest ultra-commercialized shonen was disappointing, consider investing your time into something considerably more cultivating or rewarding things or experiences in life :thumbup: .
Why bring this up?
It's a thread for generally "unpopular" opinions about Dragon Ball. It wasn't necessarily related to what you and the lads were discussing, just my two cents on adults and the media they consume and how perhaps one might (read: absolutely should) at one point branch out and discover other and usually deeper things in life. Didn't mean to sound angry or grumpy, hehe. Tis all good.
"When all these bland Marvel Comics franchise movies blur together in memory, it won't prove that they amounted to one great epic master narrative, but that they're all indistinguishable". - Armond White on "Captain America: The First Avenger," 2011.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:15 pm

precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 pm Yeah Chris Sabat's Piccolo and Yamcha also improved tremendously too and he doesn't get enough credit for that either.

Also doesn't he still voice half the side characters? I'm pretty sure he still plays Kami, Mr. Popo, Shenron, I think Yajirobe and Ox King? Or did he give up some of them? Also does he still voice Zarbon and Recoome in the newer dubs? I remember he played like half the Ginyu Force last time.
Earnest question: in what sense have Sabat improved tremendously? I'm asking as a swede. I frankly do not get it. He sounds flat in everything I've heard him in an his range ain't the greatest from what I've heard and experienced. Could you enlighten me?
"When all these bland Marvel Comics franchise movies blur together in memory, it won't prove that they amounted to one great epic master narrative, but that they're all indistinguishable". - Armond White on "Captain America: The First Avenger," 2011.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:24 pm

HokutoNanto519 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:11 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:33 pm
HokutoNanto519 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:29 pm Greetings yet again! I follow quite a few accounts on twitter. On that note, I have to say that I have seen a big trend :o .

That trend being that people are in a bubble of sorts where they staunchly avoid non-kids stuff. Let me explain in greater detail.

Practically all of those aforementioned people are hyper-focused on Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Marvel movies, Star Wars, DC comics movies etc... it's all a bunch media intended for young children :wtf: . Wouldn't it be more fun to explore more stuff outside of that kind of bubble? Like, I see people barely making anything of their own. It's practically nothing but people taking a super well-known franchise (pretty much almost always shonen ones, too) and making fan art based on that. Occasionally they'll make stuff attempting to depict other stuff but lo and behold, it turns out to be yet another one based on a hyper-commercialized shonen manga/anime. I barely see "regular" folks talk about Martin Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola for instance. Barely anybody is talking about manga series like Shamo, Souten no Ken or Maison Ikkoku :( .

What I wonder is the following: why continue to be stuck in such a bubble willingly :thumbdown: ? Is it really that interesting to wade around in the same tired old mega-franchises of the past that's being regurgitated for practically forever? Is it really that interesting to experience the same old mega-franchises wayyyyy past their prime crank out increasingly crappy stuff ? Like, is it so difficult to ask folks to lay down the crappy Shonen Jump magazine for once and experience other (read: adult-oriented) things instead?

Yes, I like Dragon Ball a lot. However....... there are boatloads of things out there that are just as good if not outright better than it. Next time you are thinking of, say, complaining about how the latest chapter of the latest ultra-commercialized shonen was disappointing, consider investing your time into something considerably more cultivating or rewarding things or experiences in life :thumbup: .
Why bring this up?
It's a thread for generally "unpopular" opinions about Dragon Ball. It wasn't necessarily related to what you and the lads were discussing, just my two cents on adults and the media they consume and how perhaps one might (read: absolutely should) at one point branch out and discover other and usually deeper things in life. Didn't mean to sound angry or grumpy, hehe. Tis all good.
Generally when someone makes this point, it's apropos of something and it's on topic. How is this an unpopular opinion here? And do you not see the irony of your comment? Your on a Dragon Ball forum.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:36 pm

precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 pm Yeah Chris Sabat's Piccolo and Yamcha also improved tremendously too and he doesn't get enough credit for that either.

He never voiced Ox-King or Yaijrobe. For Mr. Popo, Chris Cason is the current voice for him. Cason also voiced the character in season 3 of DBZ, but Sabat took over for a while after that.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:40 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:24 pm
HokutoNanto519 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:11 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:33 pm Why bring this up?
Generally when someone makes this point, it's apropos of something and it's on topic. How is this an unpopular opinion here? And do you not see the irony of your comment? Your on a Dragon Ball forum.
"How is this an unpopular opinion here? And do you not see the irony of your comment?" What do you mean by the first question? You could apply that as a catch-all if you really want to stretch it. As for the second point, I've just joined. I have made 6 comments so far. You've been here since 2013 and have made over 18 000 comments. You're not in the position to criticize. Other than that, I just use forums to blow off steam and chill. Y'know, have fun discussing and sharing interesting things. It's great when people can share their knowledge and exchange ideas. Exhibit A: Kunzait's wuxia thread.

If you don't mind me asking, how did yall even manage to post that much? Like, 18 000 comments? I'd get tired or bored after a paltry hundred or so.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:49 pm

I didn't think there was anything unclear about the question - How is it an unpopular opinion that people should branch out?
HokutoNanto519 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:40 pm You've been here since 2013 and have made over 18 000 comments. You're not in the position to criticize
I do other things and watch/read other stuff. I'm not the one coming into a Dragon Ball forum and criticizing people unprompted and making presumptious comments. If you want to come into the forum and talk about Dragon Ball, great, but why comment about people you don't know's viewing habits? I've been around this forum a lot and I can say that you won't find it a difficult task to find plenty of people around here who are well read. Even though we're all geeks, most of us have interests outside of just geek franchises.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:49 pm I didn't think there was anything unclear about the question - How is it an unpopular opinion that people should branch out?
HokutoNanto519 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:40 pm You've been here since 2013 and have made over 18 000 comments. You're not in the position to criticize
I do other things and watch/read other stuff. I'm not the one coming into a Dragon Ball forum and criticizing people unprompted and making presumptious comments. If you want to come into the forum and talk about Dragon Ball, great, but why comment about people you don't know's viewing habits? I've been around this forum a lot and I can say that you won't find it a difficult task to find plenty of people around here who are well read. Even though we're all geeks, most of us have interests outside of just geek franchises.
"How is it an unpopular opinion that people should branch out?" Wayyyy too many examples. Hell, if I were to write anything on that subject, we'd have material for several threads. Not just Dragon Ball, but pop culture in general. Some people absolutely despise the idea of experiencing or partaking in lesser known and/or old stuff. It just gets really frustrating. Like, I've recommended stuff to people in the past, but they refuse to experience those things because they think it's (unironically) "boomer shit". That's why I threw it in as an "unpopular" opinion that relates to the subject.

Other than, I can find myself agreeing with your second point to a certain degree. Obviously folks tend to have other interests to spice things up and have variation.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:56 pm

HokutoNanto519 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:49 pm I didn't think there was anything unclear about the question - How is it an unpopular opinion that people should branch out?
"How is it an unpopular opinion that people should branch out?" Wayyyy too many examples. Hell, if I were to write anything on that subject, we'd have material for several threads. Not just Dragon Ball, but pop culture in general. Some people absolutely despise the idea of experiencing or partaking in lesser known and/or old stuff. It just gets really frustrating. Like, I've recommended stuff to people in the past, but they refuse to experience those things because they think it's (unironically) "boomer shit". That's why I threw it in as an "unpopular" opinion that relates to the subject.

Other than, I can find myself agreeing with your second point to a certain degree. Obviously folks tend to have other interests to spice things up and have variation.
And I can easily point to plenty of people branching out. This opinion of yours rubbed me the wrong way because I find that not to be the case here by and large (hopefully you'll stick around long enough to see that) and it was completely unprompted. It also comes off as incredibly condescending and presumptuous.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Mods! MODS! KUNZAIT MADE AN ALT ACCOUNT!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm

I don't know if this is unpopular but I never liked that Videl pretty much lost all sense of personality once she got pregnant. I miss when she was a tomboy.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

BTW Kunzait is a respected and beloved member of Kanzenshuu. NOT a ban evader. I explain just so our new member wont get the wrong idea from my joke.

Also I DONT think the new member meant any offense or to single out kanzenshuu as immature babies who cant consume anything but shonen. They said its a constant on sites like Twitter and that's where this mentality prevails.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:08 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:36 pm

He never voiced Ox-King or Yaijrobe. For Mr. Popo, Chris Cason is the current voice for him. Cason also voiced the character in season 3 of DBZ, but Sabat took over for a while after that.
And while he still played Recoome, Jeice, Burter, and Recoome were all different actors. And Sabat only played Burter on the season sets/Dragon Box.

In the video games, though, he still plays all of the side characters he gave up for convenience.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:38 pm

precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:12 pm I still maintain all of DBZ should have been redubbed from start to finish but I know it'll never happen. We have Kai but I honestly miss a lot of the filler and scenes from DBZ and I would have liked the original series redubbed with the modern voice cast.
I agree. If FUNi ever do a fund-raiser to do a redub of Z with better scripts & production values, I'll be there to donate some money.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm I don't know if this is unpopular but I never liked that Videl pretty much lost all sense of personality once she got pregnant. I miss when she was a tomboy.
Some people call it being an adult.

Certain main character could try it sometimes.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm BTW Kunzait is a respected and beloved member of Kanzenshuu. NOT a ban evader. I explain just so our new member wont get the wrong idea from my joke.

Also I DONT think the new member meant any offense or to single out kanzenshuu as immature babies who cant consume anything but shonen. They said its a constant on sites like Twitter and that's where this mentality prevails.
You are right on the money. I wasn't talking/intending to talk condescendingly about folks on Kanzenshuu or anything, I was discussing how loads upon loads of folks on social media engage in pretty much nothing but media intended for children.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:38 pm

HokutoNanto519 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm BTW Kunzait is a respected and beloved member of Kanzenshuu. NOT a ban evader. I explain just so our new member wont get the wrong idea from my joke.

You are right on the money. I wasn't talking/intending to talk condescendingly about folks on Kanzenshuu or anything, I was discussing how loads upon loads of folks on social media engage in pretty much nothing but media intended for children.
It seems a little random to post about that on a thread like this. A topic like that might be better suited for its own thread.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 pm

Actually exploring the multiverse as in depth as many say they want would've been boring.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:38 pm
precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:12 pm I still maintain all of DBZ should have been redubbed from start to finish but I know it'll never happen. We have Kai but I honestly miss a lot of the filler and scenes from DBZ and I would have liked the original series redubbed with the modern voice cast.
I agree. If FUNi ever do a fund-raiser to do a redub of Z with better scripts & production values, I'll be there to donate some money.
First off, Funimation is hardly a tiny indie studio barely scraping by in the world. You shouldn't be the one having to finance a project like that alongside other folks. Do not let ultra-rich corporations fool you into thinking they are poor beggars barely scraping by, they aren't.

Other than that, I really have to re-iterate that I care for the show and the series in the way it was originally intended to be experienced. Doing a dub is hardly feasible and, in my opinion, wack. Funimation did an incredible amount of damage to people's perception of the show and to a notable degree even til this day. Crappy made up lines, text-to-speech stand-in for proper voice acting, inaccurate translations of dialogue ...... it just goes on and on. Mind you, I'm talking about their work on Dragon Ball Super with regards to translation, dialogue and a bizarre choice for "voice acting" (if you can call it that). What's pointing towards Funimation pulling themselves up by the bootstraps NOW and doing a proper professionally made dub? They did a horrible job in the past and their modern work is hardly prize-winning stuff (I'd argue Funimation's actors ain't cut out for their job).

Just give the people a professionally made remaster with perhaps a glance at the subtitles and improving/refining them to improve the accuracy or better way of translating what is being said. That's really all we need. The dub from 1996-2003 ain't iconic and never will be for a vast part of the world.

HokutoNanto519

Post by HokutoNanto519 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:50 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:38 pm
HokutoNanto519 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm

It seems a little random to post about that on a thread like this. A topic like that might be better suited for its own thread.
I disagree on the first point, but I definitely agree about the second one. I might even make such a thread in the upcoming weeks.