Dragon Ball Dub- Random Removal of Insert Songs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Dub- Random Removal of Insert Songs

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun May 27, 2012 4:01 am

This has always bothered me, but why were some insert songs in Funimation's Dragon Ball dub removed while others were kept in?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Dub- Random Removal of Insert Songs

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 4:09 am

Speaking of insert songs, Funimation removed the choir piece from when Piccolo dies in the Saiyan Saga when you watch it in dub & Kikuchi.

As far as I'm aware, the only insert they kept in Z was Battle Point Unlimited but it would be kinda cool to see how that scene would play out with no music.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:36 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:This has always bothered me, but why were some insert songs in Funimation's Dragon Ball dub removed while others were kept in?
Perhaps that's what given by Toei.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun May 27, 2012 5:40 am

I always just thought it was because the songs were in Japanese, so they removed them as part of the Americanisation. They had no need to do it with Z or GT because they completely replaced the scores at first anyway.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 am

Fizzer wrote:I always just thought it was because the songs were in Japanese, so they removed them as part of the Americanisation. They had no need to do it with Z or GT because they completely replaced the scores at first anyway.
I'd think that was the case, but some insert songs are kept in.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 27, 2012 6:04 am

For the Gohan SSJ2 scene on the FUNi dub without any insert music, it actually is decent, despite the pointless monologue (I wish they didn't include this crap), the scream is pretty awesome.

Nadolny may not be my cup of tea but her Gohan SSJ2 scream was stunning, and it probably is one of the very few scenes I liked with her Gohan.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun May 27, 2012 9:52 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I always just thought it was because the songs were in Japanese, so they removed them as part of the Americanisation. They had no need to do it with Z or GT because they completely replaced the scores at first anyway.
I'd think that was the case, but some insert songs are kept in.
The ones they did keep in were always obscured by characters talking. So even when the songs were there, they did their best to make sure you couldn't hear the Japanese vocals.

Even if it was just an issue with the audio materials they got from Toei, it gave me the impression they really didn't want the songs in the dub anyway.

I also find it interesting that the only songs they kept were during the third dub season.
-Rachel

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun May 27, 2012 12:26 pm

The Mexican dub has it worse. Early Dragon Ball had no insert songs up to the Red Ribbon arc, where Goku is just about to attack the base. From there it is consistent until the 22nd Budokai when Goku and Kuririn fight. In Z, the only insert song removed was "Shura-iro no Senshi", and from there everything was consistent up to GT when "Don't you see!" was removed (and GT is another story in itself; only the first ending was dubbed).
So mondo lame.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon May 28, 2012 12:08 am

Anime studios have often sent incomplete or subpar masters of their shows to foreign markets. I know Toei is especially guilty of this: ADV received subpar footage for their sub-only release of Sailor Moon (excessively shaky/grainy video with muffled audio), FUNimation's original masters for DBZ contained NEPs with no Japanese audio, so they were released dub-only.

Bandai Japan gave Bandai USA such poor masters for 80's anime SPT Layzner and Giant Gorg that Bandai decided to cancel their DVD releases of them. Zeta Gundam's release in non-Japanese countries have never had the original OP/ED songs, because Bandai Japan removed the songs from the international masters.

TMS (Tokyo Movie Shinsha) is probably the worst offender though: they edit everything that they send to America, either by blurring names or logos out with text boxes, or by removing frames entirely and replacing with black screens. See the American releases of Detective Conan, Lupin the 3rd TV, or The Castle of Cagliostro for examples...
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon May 28, 2012 12:13 am

One song was removed on ep. 20 in the English dub with Japanese music on Orange brick 1 when Kaio told Goku about the Saiyan race. Pure skeptical.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 am

Well, the Faulconer music is really for the English dub. There'd be no reason to leave in the Japanese songs, because the English version is a different vision of what DBZ is. Watching that dub with the Japanese music is just weird, in my opinion.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:43 am

penguintruth wrote:Well, the Faulconer music is really for the English dub. There'd be no reason to leave in the Japanese songs, because the English version is a different vision of what DBZ is. Watching that dub with the Japanese music is just weird, in my opinion.
Slight nitpick, but episode 20 would actually be Nathan Johnson.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:44 am

Wait....is the music missing on the English tracks or the Japanese tracks as well?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Wait....is the music missing on the English tracks or the Japanese tracks as well?
Just the English track. Everything's intact on the Japanese track.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 am

penguintruth wrote:Well, the Faulconer music is really for the English dub. There'd be no reason to leave in the Japanese songs, because the English version is a different vision of what DBZ is. Watching that dub with the Japanese music is just weird, in my opinion.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about Dragon Ball, not 'Z'.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Mon May 28, 2012 4:17 am

penguintruth wrote:Watching that dub with the Japanese music is just weird, in my opinion.
I don't think so. Not being a fan of the Faulconer score, watching it with the Kikuchi score has always been the best way for me to enjoy it.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

The chanting music that sounds similar to O Fortuna has been removed. It first plays in the Piccolo arc if I'm not mistaken and never ever plays in the English dub (Vegeta's Death scene is silent in the English dub)
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:48 pm

Attitudefan wrote:The chanting music that sounds similar to O Fortuna has been removed. It first plays in the Piccolo arc if I'm not mistaken and never ever plays in the English dub (Vegeta's Death scene is silent in the English dub)
It was only removed when Piccolo died. During the sacrifice it was instrumental, and it was there when Vegeta died.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed May 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Oh it was... well memory didn't serve me well here haha.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Attitudefan wrote:The chanting music that sounds similar to O Fortuna has been removed. It first plays in the Piccolo arc if I'm not mistaken and never ever plays in the English dub (Vegeta's Death scene is silent in the English dub)
It plays in Dragon Ball Movie 2's dub, which is where the song came from in the first place (the movie, I mean, not the dub).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.