Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Marco Polo wrote:If it's permanent then the end of the manga itself is a problem since Goku was shown to still train.
It's Goku, he's always going to train no matter what, and we don't know how powerful SSJG is yet, also it could be a form that works as a multiplier like the rest.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
ItsAllGood wrote:An Interesting screen grab:

SSJ God perhaps? Or a clever fake?

ItsAllGood
A fake? Yes. A clever fake? No. :D
I think this looks pretty cool myself. I always wanted to see an actually Good piece of art for a gold ssj4.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

I am stoked for this movie, I cannot wait to see what will happen. Being a DBZ follower since the 90's and owning all movies on DVD, this movie brings (so far) more promise than any previous movie. And the fact that this is a another "canon" project (wasn't Bardock's sequel in 2011 Canon too?) it makes this all the more exciting.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:23 pm

ItsAllGood
Looks like it could be a fake. First, he looks like SSJ4 (the gold version) because hes got hair on his arms, plus his tail. Pretty much the same design. If I'm thinking correctly; Akira Toriyama will not have Goku turn into an ape to reach this God form. Unless he does actually transform into an ape then power up? That would mean GT never existed. ^_^

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:
Travis Touchdown wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:How's GT gonna make sense with this Super Saiyan God form now within Goku's arsenal of transformations....
I'll just think of it as an in-between form. Like how you have Super Saiyan Grade 2, Super Saiyan Grade 3, & Full-Power Super Saiyan before reaching Super Saiyan 2.
If it's permanent how will GT be able to explain it since obviously it was never used?
Goku was turned back into a child in GT, which restrained his power and his ability to turn Super Saiyan God

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Or GT is just gonna be retconned....
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:

ItsAllGood
Looks like it could be a fake. First, he looks like SSJ4 (the gold version) because hes got hair on his arms, plus his tail. Pretty much the same design. If I'm thinking correctly; Akira Toriyama will not have Goku turn into an ape to reach this God form. Unless he does actually transform into an ape then power up? That would mean GT never existed. ^_^
That's fanart by Salva Makoto; I sourced it pages back, but this thread is moving so fast it's understandable that it was lost.
Source: http://salvamakoto.deviantart.com/art/G ... -353831384

Just the fact that there is a new form really helps explain why Shueisha's been so secretive about spoilers, even in merchandise. The big plot twist would be everywhere so they'd have to keep quiet.

Very much looking forward to the reveal though. :3
Last edited by Chuquita on Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Herms wrote:
Naughty Kinto Un wrote:Super Saiya-jin God could be great but it kind of screams "let's make new toys!" more than genuine creative inspiration.
Well, the original Super Saiyan was created because Toriyama wanted to make things a little easier on his assistant, who was the one who typically had to black in Goku's hair. Which was certainly very nice of him, but it also doesn't exactly scream "authentic creative inspiration".
I agree. Inartistic motivations have produced some great art. Charles Dickens would cram in as much as he could into every novelette installment because he was being paid by the word, and what fantastic words they ended up being. Becoming rich was Toriyama's reason for becoming a mangaka and that gave us Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball. As I mentioned, I believe Super Saiya-jin God could be turn out to be great despite the fact that it brings to mind the expression "milking it for all it's worth."

I'm not in agreement that just because Toriyama gave his approval to the Super Saiya-jin God form there's a guarantee that it'll be a good creation and a good direction for the story to go in. I like some of the enthusiastic optimism but my own optimism is tempered by the knowledge that this is a common PR tactic by companies to give their products an air of legitimacy to the audience. If this appeared to be a case of actual creative inspiration, Toriyama's approval might warrant a good amount of faith in the project. However, this situation stinks of, once again, the expression "milking it," and doesn't warrant much new faith at all. I don't think Toriyama's approval should change anything on a speculative level.

I will admit that I'm pessimistic about the Super Saiya-jin God form to begin with. So I have that bias.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Goku was turned back into a child in GT, which restrained his power and his ability to turn Super Saiyan God[/quote]

That actually is a good reason. Goku did bring up more than once that he couldn't even properly use the Instant Transmission technique as a boy. I'm even more amazed he could still use SSJ3.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:11 pm

JeffJarrett wrote:Goku was turned back into a child in GT, which restrained his power and his ability to turn Super Saiyan God
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:That actually is a good reason. Goku did bring up more than once that he couldn't even properly use the Instant Transmission technique as a boy. I'm even more amazed he could still use SSJ3.
Yusuke Watanabe said this mid July on his twitter account. "Thanks! Strictly speaking, it’s between the comic’s “final chapter” and “just before that”. GT isn’t part of the original work, after all~." Going by that GT isn't even being taken into consideration. I posted that quote recently but I guess people didn't see. :P I for one think ignoring GT is the best way to go.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:Yusuke Watanabe said this mid July on his twitter account. "Thanks! Strictly speaking, it’s between the comic’s “final chapter” and “just before that”. GT isn’t part of the original work, after all~." Going by that GT isn't even being taken into consideration. I posted that quote recently but I guess people didn't see. :P I for one think ignoring GT is the best way to go.
Interesting, I'd never read that quote before surprisingly and it does seem pretty definite.

For those who need more substance to the quote here is his actual post: https://twitter.com/yuusukewatanabe/sta ... 6482060290

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:
JeffJarrett wrote:Goku was turned back into a child in GT, which restrained his power and his ability to turn Super Saiyan God
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:That actually is a good reason. Goku did bring up more than once that he couldn't even properly use the Instant Transmission technique as a boy. I'm even more amazed he could still use SSJ3.
Yusuke Watanabe said this mid July on his twitter account. "Thanks! Strictly speaking, it’s between the comic’s “final chapter” and “just before that”. GT isn’t part of the original work, after all~." Going by that GT isn't even being taken into consideration. I posted that quote recently but I guess people didn't see. :P I for one think ignoring GT is the best way to go.
That's what I was originally thinking. I never did like GT a whole lot... I would literally go years without seeing another episode of that mistake of a Dragon Ball series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Or GT is just gonna be retconned....
Which seems likely in my opinion. This movie is likely to ignore GT just like how Prometheus ignore the AVP movies.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:34 pm

GT being ignored was one of the first pieces of info about the movie we'd gotten, and it was even backed by the director himself. There's really no need to even bring up GT anymore. Unless, someone wants to ask Yusuke Watanabe something like "Can Super Saiyajin God beat Super Saiyan 4?"

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 pm

NeoKING wrote:GT being ignored was one of the first pieces of info about the movie we'd gotten, and it was even backed by the director himself. There's really no need to even bring up GT anymore. Unless, someone wants to ask Yusuke Watanabe something like "Can Super Saiyajin God beat Super Saiyan 4?"
I guess people who joined recently didn't see that info, that's the only conclusion I can come to anyway. :)

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:That's what I was originally thinking. I never did like GT a whole lot... I would literally go years without seeing another episode of that mistake of a Dragon Ball series.
Yeah I wasn't a fan of that either but I can't deny it existed, GT is just a continuation of the anime, where as I put this movie in with the mangas original timeline. :)
Last edited by Saiyan Prince Vegeta on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Problem here is that he should have tried to ascend to his God form. He never does therefore it's kinda hard to connect them. I like the idea that there are many alternate realities and GT is one of them.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:Yeah I wasn't a fan of that either but I can't deny it existed, GT is just a continuation of the anime, where as I put this movie in with the mangas original timeline. :)
I think it will all depend on whether Gregory appears. He was always with Kaio but only in the anime version.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Which seems likely in my opinion. This movie is likely to ignore GT just like how Prometheus ignore the AVP movies.
I guess to give you piece of mind, you should all think of DBGT the same way I do... http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&p=412478& :lol:

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
Saiyan Prince Vegeta wrote:Yeah I wasn't a fan of that either but I can't deny it existed, GT is just a continuation of the anime, where as I put this movie in with the mangas original timeline. :)
I think it will all depend on whether Gregory appears. He was always with Kaio but only in the anime version.
Toriyama did come up with Gregory, though he never put him in the manga. It seems like Toriyama is linking this in with the manga, we've got his comment on Kaios planet, which Involves Birusu, from the full colour manga, and we've got this, "I tried thinking up an original story, imagining it as though [the manga's] serialization had continued." That's why I'll put it in with the mangas time line. It will be interesting to see if Gregory does appear though. :)

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I guess to give you piece of mind, you should all think of DBGT the same way I do... http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&p=412478& :lol:
Hahaha damn, I'm gonna view GT like that from now on. :lol:
Last edited by Saiyan Prince Vegeta on Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
I guess to give you piece of mind, you should all think of DBGT the same way I do... http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 9&p=412478& :lol:
Lol I can dig it :lol: .
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946