DBZ a Favorite Cartoon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBZ a Favorite Cartoon?

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Favourite franchise yes, favourite show no. My favourite has to be something I can enjoy every time I sit through it. Even though I prefer Kai, it ain't a show I enjoy all the time and can come back to and still enjoy everything. The franchise is my favourite and has left the biggest impression on me. These guys are my childhood heroes, and still are today. I love almost everything Dragonball (screw evolution/kinect/UT/and a big chunk of GT). I consider Megas from cartoon network (teletoon here) one of if not my favourite show. I can always go back and laugh and enjoy that show. That show demonstrates how you do giant robots people. You get one, your gonna abuse the hell out of it. Perhaps the one tv adapted to big screen show even Michael Bay couldn't fuck up, then again he could find a way.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 pm

It's in my top five.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm

DragonBall as a whole will always be my favorite show. Goku cheers you up! :D
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Well, I definitely prefer DB in comic form than in animated form(especially with the second series) but I also don't watch too many cartoons so I guess it would be up there.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 am

AgitoZ wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:They just don't make shows this good anymore.
Yeah, they do. Tons even.
Pretty much this. Dragon Ball is one of my favorite franchises, but it's not my main favorite. I like other anime, comic book and TV shows franchises. I'm really more of a cult movie and classic manga/comic book fan than a DB fan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:49 am

AgitoZ wrote:
I don't feel they do. The show that comes closest to rivaling DBZ's awesomeness is the Legend of Korra but thats about it for me. My favorite shows are DB, DBZ, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Air Bender, Samurai Jack, Death Note, and Soul Eater.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:10 am

Its one of the only shows I've seen all the way through, I cant stand filler though so I'd take Kai over it, Kai with the original score.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:16 am

When it comes to anime, then yes, Dragon Ball is one of my absolute favorites. But it's not my all time favorite cartoon, Batman: TAS beats it by a large margin. But I do give it this much; I'm super obsessed with this franchise more than any other show, comic, or game.
Last edited by Scarz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 am

I think One Piece is a better series, but Dragon Ball is still my favorite, no doubt about it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:25 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote: My favorite shows are DB, DBZ, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Air Bender, Samurai Jack, Death Note, and Soul Eater.
You should try more shows. You are missing out on a lot of great stuff.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 am

Super Sonic wrote:As the title says, is DBZ one of your favorite cartoons, if not your favorite? For myself, it was one of mine at one time. Now, I don't really know what my favorites are, and admit I haven't really watched DBZ in a long time. What would you guys say?
I have so many favorite shows but I'd definitely say Yes! :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 am

AgitoZ wrote:
Such as? I hope you don't mention Naruto and Bleach in your response.. they have nothing on Dragonball.

Naruto showed promised at the beginning of the show, but then it turned into some angsty teenage drama/action show after Sasuke left the Hidden Village and right before Shippudden. No thanks.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
I don't feel they do. The show that comes closest to rivaling DBZ's awesomeness is the Legend of Korra but thats about it for me. My favorite shows are DB, DBZ, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Air Bender, Samurai Jack, Death Note, and Soul Eater.
Another Death Note fan? Awesome.

I really don't want too much anime anymore like I used to, but DN is definitely in my top 5. I think my top 5 would go like this:

1. Dragonball Z
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Death Note
4. Dragonball
5. Saint Seiya

All great shows.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:43 am

Daimakku wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
Such as? I hope you don't mention Naruto and Bleach in your response.. they have nothing on Dragonball.

Naruto showed promised at the beginning of the show, but then it turned into some angsty teenage drama/action show after Sasuke left the Hidden Village and right before Shippudden. No thanks.

There are actually shows OUTSIDE of anime, too. :)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 am

Daimakku wrote:
Another Death Note fan? Awesome.

I really don't want too much anime anymore like I used to, but DN is definitely in my top 5. I think my top 5 would go like this:

1. Dragonball Z
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Death Note
4. Dragonball
5. Saint Seiya

All great shows.
Well, if we're gonna start including Top 5's with Dragon Ball in them, here's mine.

1. Dragon Ball Franchise
2. Code Geass
3. GUN x SWORD
4. Trigun
5. Hellsing Ultimate OVA's
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 am

The Simpsons
Dragonball
Futurama
South Park
American Dad.
Top 5 anime.
Dragonball
Fairy Tail
Evangelion
Code Geass
Squid Girl.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 am

Well, I don't like the anime, but the manga is my second favourite series. The first would be Bleach.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:58 am

Surprise nobody here has mentioned FMA. I'm not sure why but for some reason I enjoyed FMA for most of the reasons I enjoyed DBZ.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 am

Sin wrote:Surprise nobody here has mentioned FMA. I'm not sure why but for some reason I enjoyed FMA for most of the reasons I enjoyed DBZ.
I have FMA in my list, It's just simply not in my top 5. FMA is part of my top 10 at number 6.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote: My favorite shows are DB, DBZ, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Air Bender, Samurai Jack, Death Note, and Soul Eater.
You should try more shows. You are missing out on a lot of great stuff.
I've wanted to try Cowboy Bebop. Other than that though I've tried Bleach, Naruto, Inuyasha, and FMA. I didn't like any of them except for Naruto and FMA but they aren't favorites.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946