Worst Anime Dragon Ball Z movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gialloman

Worst Anime Dragon Ball Z movie

Post by gialloman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Just wondering what movie in the Dragon Ball Universe is the most disliked by everyone, Just sticking with the anime movies since theres plenty of them, with a 14th one on the way. The worst Dragon ball Z movie IMO has to be Movie 11, Just the idea of green jello Brolly fighting Trunks and Goten just makes my head hurt and it has to be one of the worst anime movies I've ever seen

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Worst Anime Dragon Ball Z movie

Post by bleed0range » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm

I have to agree, bio broly was a pretty lame idea. The animation was nice though haha.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 pm

It is Bio Broly without much doubt for me. I've watched most of the DBZ movies several times, but the one I never re watch is Bio Broly. I think I've only seen it the once actually, so perhaps I should watch it again just to remind myself how bad it is?

Bringing Broly back for a third time... I mean... why?? Oh well. Other than that I pretty much enjoy the rest of them. I mean, they're not great movies but they can be pretty entertaining.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Really any movie with Broly, but especially movie 11.

Broly is a tumor on the franchise.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:05 pm

It's hard to pick a worst cause all the movies are just rehashes. I think we all can agree that movie 11 was the poorest.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Also gonna go with 11. I can see how it was trying to maybe spoof those old monster movies, but it just didn't do anything for me. The Trunks and Goten duo aren't my favorite either so that didn't help. I did enjoy Mark and 18's antics in 11 though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 pm

penguintruth wrote:Really any movie with Broly, but especially movie 11.

Really? Sure movie 10 and 11 were pretty bad, but I thought movie 8 was pretty good. Maybe I'm just a sucker for more Saiyan backstories.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:47 pm

DBZ Movie three, Tree of Might, for me. Most people hate Bio-Broly, but I don't dislike, try to watch the movie without thinking the green monster is Broly (I think I've seen this movie before the other Broly movies, which is why I don't dislike it).

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm

I don't think I'll ever understand the hate for movie 11. The reasons why everyone seems to dislike it are the exact reasons why I *love* it. I love the setting. I enjoy Goten and Trunks' antics (though it'd be tiresome if they were the stars of more than just movies 10 & 11). I love seeing Kuririn and #18 in the spotlight, and especially how they work as a group. I love that Gohan and the others never show up at all. The fight choreography is spectacular. The music and ending theme are great. I love seeing my least favorite character in the entire franchise reduced to a blob that can be defeated by water. I love how Trunks uses his brain, not power, to take out the antagonist. It's all just fantastic.

My least favorite is definitely movie 06. I dislike the villain(s), I think the animation's choppy (and off-model more often than the remaining films), and nothing about the plot interests me. Action doesn't automatically make something exciting, and I think movie 06 proves that more than any other film.
Last edited by MagicBox on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

You know, I might just give movie 11 a shot. It gets shit on a lot but I want to give a fair judgement.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:25 pm

It`s tie for me between DBZ Movie 10 and 13
10 - For making Broly stupid, he somehow lost his blue haired SSJ transformation, instead he become regular SSJ, not fan of Young Trunks
13 - I probably be killed for saying this, but, i just find it very boring, new characters were meh, and i absolutely hate this move, who have it`s origin here: Toei Punch
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:39 pm

I forgot about 13, and that arguably makes it top my choice of 11. 13 was so boring because I couldn't get into the story or bring myself to care about the movie-only characters.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm

I actually like Movie 11 as well, and MagicBox pretty much summed it up very eloquently. To be honest, I find the villains in the movies completely forgettable. They might as well not even be there, so movie 11 simply being another Broli movie means nothing to me. What matters to me is the setting, the atmosphere, and the character interaction, and I like all those things about movie 11.

That said, I have a much harder time picking a least favorite than a favorite. There are a couple of the movies that stand out to me as a decent quality good time, but all the rest sort of meander together in a sea of mediocrity, and there really isn't any one that sinks to the depths.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Really any movie with Broly, but especially movie 11.

Really? Sure movie 10 and 11 were pretty bad, but I thought movie 8 was pretty good. Maybe I'm just a sucker for more Saiyan backstories.
I hate the Broly movies for three reasons:

1) Overexplaining the Super Saiyan legend. We don't need to know who the OFFICIAL Legendary Super Saiyan is. It was a legend. When you explain too much, you strip away some of the mystique. Not to mention that it's some character we've never seen or heard about before. It's this kind of crap that made me enraged by Episode of Bardock. Do we really need to know how Freeza's clan first came to know about the Super Saiyan? And does it need to have been Bardock? Just more bullshit overexplaining. It's like Superman growing up knowing Lex Luthor or the Joker being the one who murdered Bruce Wayne's parents. Unnecessary and annoying.

2) Broly gets his knob gobbled by the fandom. "I bet Broly could TOTALLY beat SSJ3 Goku!" "Hey, could Super Perfect Cell defeat Broly?" "What if Broly fought SSJ3 Gotenks?" "Broly is the ultimate DBZ villain! He can beat everyone!" And all that circle-jerking about him that goes on every second of the day by DBZ fandom like he's the greatest damn thing to ever happen. It's sickening.

3) Broly, as a character, is just lame. He has no personality, no pathos (even with his tragic backstory he remains unsympathetic), and every fight with him is the same fight. This mountain of stupid is the Legendary Super Saiyan? He's just The Unlikable Hulk.

By the second appearance, a swift fart from Gohan should be able to destroy Broly, but they keep amping him up to ridiculousness. Broly is the f***ing plague.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:09 pm

penguintruth wrote: the Joker being the one who murdered Bruce Wayne's parents.
They did that in the first Tim Burton Batman movie :P . DBZ Movie 2, 4 and 11 are my least favorites. DBZ Movie 2 is so boring and forgettable. It's a shame since i do like Dr. Uiro (Dr. Wheelo) as a villain. DBZ Movie 4 was another more then a bad rehash of Piccolo Daimao and Piccolo in the 23rd Tenkachi Budokai. I hated Movie 11 since it's another cash cow on a character that they just killed off a few months earlier. With Coola, they waited a year before they bring him back. Not to mention he was killed off in such a lazy way that made me want to flam palm myself. Not to mention the other characters like #18 seem so out of the character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:15 pm

For me it's either movie 4 or 7. They're both a bunch of snooze-inducing, cliché festivals.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
penguintruth wrote: the Joker being the one who murdered Bruce Wayne's parents.
They did that in the first Tim Burton Batman movie :P
I know. It was unnecessary.

Can I get a Schemen?

Sebastian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sebastian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Honestly,while I don't like Bio Broly, Second Coming was just SO boring to me. Yes, the concept of movie 11 is stupid, but at least it kept me slightly interested. 10 just takes so long to get going, and hearing Broly just yell "KAKOROT!!!" over and over while Trunks and Goten just mess around just drives me mad!

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm

I noticed the movies that Goten and Kid Trunks star in are the most hated.......hmm... :think:

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm

I found Movie #11 enjoyable compared to the other two.

Movie #8 and Movie #10 especially #8 started so well but when it came to the fighting it became such a bore. All the quarrels with Broly fanboys made me hate his character despite somewhat liking his legendary form design.

Movie #4 was a little boring, #7 was a little so-so...

Movie #6 is a guilty pleasure. Out of all the movies, I think, it has the most inconsistent animation. Some of it is jaw dropping with those beautiful shots of New Namek while others such as close ups of characters look really yucky.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin