One piece and Dragonball similarities?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

One piece and Dragonball similarities?

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Hello Everyone!
Toonami will be airing One Piece soon and I was just curious, is there any similarities between One piece and Dragonball? because I believe there is similarities between Dragonball and Naruto?
But some of the characters in this beginning video of the Dragonball and One piece crossover seem to have similarities?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNVhFSYy4Xg
Also if anyone was curious about proof of One piece coming to Toonami, Here ya go!!
http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/45048940 ... e-them-all
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: One piece and Dragonball similarities?

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 pm

One Piece to DB...One Piece is kind of like Dragon Ball if Toriyama was the type to plan stuff out far in advance while dropping dozens of foreshadowing hints along the way, had a bigger affinity for world-building, and only slept 3 hours a night. XD (I was stunned when I first read Oda only sleeps from 2am to 5am).

The style of humor is similar, but it's a bit more manic than DB's even if it is in the same vein. (I guess I could say the same for Luffy as opposed to Goku; Luffy's way more energetic whereas Goku's more " :3 " )

OP's definitely worth the watch/read imo; it's got a very rich world and a huge variety of characters (a good chunk, if not most of whom serve a purpose in the story and sometimes return many arcs later; Oda never forgets anyone in One Piece).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 pm

One piece is pretty bleh to me no offense to anyone who enjoys the series, but I'd prefer toonami add something else!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:46 pm

The similarities between the two series are really on the surface; they're both an art student's wet dream. Colorful worlds, varying shapes and sizes of characters, silly techniques, etc. One Piece is a little more in love with its universe than DB. The story leans on the dramatic, tear-jerking side that DB only rarely thought of stepping in. It's an easy, accessible series to get into.

(start with the anime, skip whatever filler arcs you run into, and once you get to Water 7, hit the manga running and don't look back)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 am

Well, simmilarity for me is in the shonen mechanics, stronger enemies, stronger the protagonist tries to be.
But never found the humor simmilar, most times in One Piece, the humor is this WTF otaku muhahaha, retarded character face fueled stuff. That's because the series is for kids.
I was more in line with Dragon Ball pervert and Goku humor. But I laughed few times trough the first 500 episodes.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

It's enjoyable but the animation/design is pretty awful at times which shows no efforts were put whatsoever, disappointing yes but kids don't mind such small details.

Luffy's "Kaio-ken" battle was quite cool, though.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:18 am

Yeah both mangas have their similarities and I like the fact the Luffy and Goku are good friends :D

But in terms of story, setting, drama and characterization One Piece is superior to Dragon Ball by far.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:01 am

My biggest beef with OP is the setting. Because I'm bored to the damned hell about pirates and stuff, so I like how in DB there is world of variety like ours (including pirates and stuff), not just Planet Pirate.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:52 am

Well Eiichiro Oda is a huge admirer of Akira Toriyama and you can definitely see some similarities. I suppose even Goku and Luffy have their similarities because they both can be pretty stupid and childish but when the going gets tough they get the job done (by that I mean owning the villains!) they also have quite a liking for food! Even with the voices there are a few similarities - as far as I know there is a few Japanese voice actors that worked on DB who also now work on One Piece. That's the case with the English Funimation dub of the show as well. Chris Sabat voices Zoro, where as Sonny Strait voices Usopp and Luffy is voiced by Colleen Clinkenbeard.

What I would say is I've only been watching One Piece for a year or so which isn't very long, but I have never been as hooked on an anime since Dragonball Z back when I was a kid. It takes a bit of time for the anime to kick in, but stick with it and soon you should have the thought I had which was just "Right... I love this."

Great series and it's set to run for a very long time. I would recommend everybody at the very least check it out!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Same sound effects? xD

I would like to get into one piece, I'm a real music geek and one piece has a great soundtrack.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Black_Liger wrote:Same sound effects? xD
Great. Thought I was the only that noticed. First time watching an episode and hearing the same sfx without Dragon Ball, mind was blown.

And then.... Krillin/Usopp have the same english VA with no variation. SMH.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
And then.... Krillin/Usopp have the same english VA with no variation. SMH.
You want variation? Watch Season 4 Voyage 3 with Usopp and Luffy's fight. While you can tell it's him, he doesn't sound like Krillin there.

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Ah, yes, One Piece. Taking Dragon Ball's voice actors and actresses out of unemployment since 1997. Seriously, almost everyone important who worked in Dragon Ball has played some character in One Piece. And the funniest part is that, thinking about who voices who, Son Goku ended up being Pikachu's foster parent :lol:
Now about similarities, yes there are some. One Piece and Dragon Ball both follow the adventure of the protagonist, as he goes through lots of different adventures, makes friends, and gets more powerful. You may think the similarities are on the surface only, and while that may be true I still think it goes beyond that.
Toriyama's and Oda's methods to create their manga are quite different, complete opposites even, but in the end, they both created stories where humor and gags are all around, when suddenly we have a big epic moment that make you super excited, only for some joke to happen after that.
Both series have the same feel, the same "spirit" if you will, and that's what makes so many comparisons between the two occur, I think...
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone! :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am

B wrote:The similarities between the two series are really on the surface; they're both an art student's wet dream. Colorful worlds, varying shapes and sizes of characters, silly techniques, etc. One Piece is a little more in love with its universe than DB. The story leans on the dramatic, tear-jerking side that DB only rarely thought of stepping in. It's an easy, accessible series to get into.

(start with the anime, skip whatever filler arcs you run into, and once you get to Water 7, hit the manga running and don't look back)
I'm with B on this. I love the artwork in OP...and I can say that 80% of the people I know who won't get into One Piece/slam on it list Oda's art style as one of(or the main) reason. I'll admit that the art in the beginning is simple, but later on it gets amazing.

I would like to get into one piece, I'm a real music geek and one piece has a great soundtrack.
Agreed. One Piece has an amazing and inspirational soundtrack.

(As far as catching up goes, I mixed manga/anime up through Alabasta, skipped Skypeia, and strictly read the manga from Davvy Back on...of course I went back to Skypeia later, though.)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:27 pm

MCDaveG wrote:My biggest beef with OP is the setting. Because I'm bored to the damned hell about pirates and stuff, so I like how in DB there is world of variety like ours (including pirates and stuff), not just Planet Pirate.
This and the exagerated length are keeping me from diving into that franchise.

The problem I have with One Piece is that opening a page from manga 50 or seeing episode 350, you feel like you're seeing exactly what you saw when opening manga 3 and seeing episode 7.
You recognize the same people, likely on a boat or some island, with the same crew (once did they leave one out) that hasn't changed a bit except for maybe clothes.
Even if it's obviously entirely wrong, you can't help but feel "reading the 50 previous volumes will be a waste of time given that nothing seems to have changed and the plot seems to lead nowhere, with still no final "the-entire-world/universe-might-be-destroyed" battle on the horizon".

When doing the same for Dragon Ball, skipping from manga 10 to manga 40, you're like "What the?! Who are those characters?! What kind of place is this?! What are all those transformations? What the hell is going on with the God-like planetary-wide fighting?"

But surely, the characters, story, world, and all seems interesting and I can understand why this is the N°1 manga nowadays. I got often caught watching a whole bunch of episodes simply because I happened to randomly catch one episode and had to watch how the whole thing would be solved, and even bought some Movie Anime Comics with great funny moment and badass fighting moments when Luffy gets mad! There's a real ambiance to it, when they are in underground bars lit by torches, in an island's castles, on a ship in a middle of a storm.

But the only things preventing me from diving into it fully are the points mentionned above: too long of a commitment for an overall setting and characters that look too much the same over time and easily get boring quickly on me.

In order, for the three main manga stories nowadays, it goes:
1) Dragon Ball. Collecting manga, anime comics, Kai episodes, movies.
2) Naruto. Having watched a few episodes here and there, having played Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations 2 to get a quick go through the Naruto and Naruto Shippuden story until the end of Pain, and finally reading the manga from the beginning of the Great War + watching episodes from the beginning of the Great War.
3) One Piece. Having watched episodes here and there and bought/read Movie Anime comics for their amazing ambiance.