If Dragon Ball/Z followed a more "episodic" format

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

If Dragon Ball/Z followed a more "episodic" format

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:52 am

What I'm meaning is something more akin to not an over-arching story where it all builds up towards something bigger, but more in the nature of each episode having it's own self contained story with only some minimal references to previous events.

I guess the best examples I can describe would be shows like the 80's TMNT and Transformers, which are pretty much...

- Day starts out with good guys acting normal
- Main bad guy hatches evil scheme and puts it into action
- Is up to good guys to stop evil plan after discovering it
- Bad guy's plan is ruined and is defeated
- Episode ends on a light, humorous note

The main question would be though "Could DB/Z work in a format like this?". Could you see Frieza being like Shredder with goons like the Ginyu Force in a Bebop and Rocksteady type of position or perhaps at the end of each unsuccessful evil scheme with Frieza cursing out catchphrases like "Those blasted Saiyans!" or "Mangling Monkeys! I'll get you next time!" in a Cobra Commander type of thing.

Hell, while we're at it, there would be an episode where Frieza successfully constructs a device that turns all Saiyans into monkeys (Not Oozaru, but regular monkeys) and it would be up to the Humans + Piccolo to take care of them and to save the day without the help of their big power-houses.

Of course though, other villains featured in the series would appear and probably take up the mantle of big bad like Cell and Babidi/Majin Buu while perhaps even some movie villains would become more akin to recurring villains.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this if done right.

What about you?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Re: If Dragon Ball/Z followed a more "episodic" format

Post by worldmonsters » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:08 am

I have the feeling this is how Dragon Ball started. Even the manga sort of starts like that with having stories of only a chapter or two. Well when Yamcha shows up it doesn't follow that, which is really soon. But still, I feel like original Dragon Ball anime almost had that in the beginning. Apart from that the beginning of Dragon Ball GT had that a little bit.

I think it would be more like following a kind of Pokémon type thing, but I really can't get Freeza to work in a format like that in my head. I don't know, the fights just wouldn't be long enough to be epic. I think it could work in original Dragon Ball, but as soon as you get to the Tenkaichi Budokai it gets very hard to keep up. I don't think the story of Dragon Ball is really suited to fit something like that well. Only early Dragon Ball might :p It's a fun idea though.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 am

I don't have much to add beyond what has been stated other than Dragon Ball's format does tend to undercut a big assumption that TV execs have about children. One of them is they can't follow something for an extended period and need self contained episodes. Makes you wonder how much of those assumptions were plucked out of thin air vs had any hard evidence to support.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Honestly, one of the reasons I was drawn to DBZ was because it was a giant, ongoing story rather than a bunch of self-contained ones. It helped to give the show a sense of significance and high stakes, absent in the vast majority of other shows I was aware of at the time. So I have nothing against episodic/self-contained episode shows in and of themselves, but I wouldn't want to see that happen to any of the "Dragon Ball" animes. I'm also of the belief that TV execs consistently and constantly underestimate what children can "handle."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah, I prefer the on-going format. The episodic format really hurts a series with an on-going storyline. While it can work for a series that doesn't quite have an on-going story arc (like Star Trek: The Next Generation) a series with the foes on the scale of Dragon Ball just wouldn't fit well in an episodic format.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:47 pm

I don't think it has to hurt a series with an on-going story. Case in point, Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, Justified, etc. There can be a mix of standalone stories and the on-going arc. Often shows have elements of both within the same episode, such as Dexter. Something like 24 suffered because of the format of all story. There was rarely enough story for all 24 episodes in the season and so the middle typically sagged. Back to Dragon Ball, I think the format worked, but only suffered because the series was going on at the same time as the manga. Instead of breaking the show into seasons, the show went year round and thus the series is about twice as long as it needed to be.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:02 pm

I think the only way self contained stories could work in Dragonball Z is if they were during times of peace such as the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive or Gohan is in high school. You could still have issues that need to be resolved but they wouldn't be nearly as dangerous or life threatening as when there are villains to deal with.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:29 pm

NitroEX wrote:I think the only way self contained stories could work in Dragonball Z is if they were during times of peace such as the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive or Gohan is in high school. You could still have issues that need to be resolved but they wouldn't be nearly as dangerous or life threatening as when there are villains to deal with.
Indeed. Those would probably be the best for episodic formatted episodes of they did it in DBZ.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 pm

This could have been done with the Dragon Ball hunts, and sort of was in the anime, before everyone got so powerful that they could teleport/find the balls in a day.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:04 pm

We would end up with Jackie Chan Adventures.

Elton Stryker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Elton Stryker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Like north american Street Fighter Cartoon?Nooooooo!!
:crazy:
Chrono is son of Gogeta,Dai is son of Gohan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:44 pm

A big problem with self contained episodes is that if you have a central villain, he has to be constantly thwarted by the heroes and it wouldn't take long before whatever danger they posed is shot down in flames due to continual failure.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 pm

I bet it would be great if it followed the formula Young Justice followed. Young Justice usually follows that "resolution at the end of the episode" kind of format, but there are always little things to look out for that makes sense to you later on, or open a bigger picture as the show goes on. Love Young Justice.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:20 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:I bet it would be great if it followed the formula Young Justice followed. Young Justice usually follows that "resolution at the end of the episode" kind of format, but there are always little things to look out for that makes sense to you later on, or open a bigger picture as the show goes on. Love Young Justice.
I'd say that structure actually hurt Young Justice.The series tries to set up and resolve a story in one episode but by it's nature it's too continuity-heavy a series to actually hold the 'benefits' of an episodic series (like making it easy for new viewers to jump on). The network likely demanded the episodic structure (that's why we only ever got the one 'two parter') but the writing staff essentially shoe-horned their continuity-heavy series into a hole that didn't fit. Toss in the series' general over-plotting and you wind up with cramming way too much crap into far too short a season with awkward pacing and no satisfying resolutions.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 am

Makaioshin wrote:We would end up with Jackie Chan Adventures.
Wait, is that a bad thing? Jackie Chan Adventures was awesome!!

But if I'm remembering right JCA had "arcs" as well, the first one being with Shindu and the Talismans then you had Dow Long Wong and the Ancient Demons (Shindu's comrades) after that you had the Demon Oni Mask arc and finally you had Drago, Shindu's son.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 am

LOOK'S LIKE THE GINYU FORCE IS BLASTING OFF AGGGGAAAAIiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnn *ding*

That is all I would need to fund this.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I'd say that structure actually hurt Young Justice.The series tries to set up and resolve a story in one episode but by it's nature it's too continuity-heavy a series to actually hold the 'benefits' of an episodic series (like making it easy for new viewers to jump on).
I feel that...I guess. I wasn't familiar with actual story from the comics or anything, so I figured on TV each episode was altered to fit that "solve in this episode" kind of format.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Makaioshin wrote:We would end up with Jackie Chan Adventures.
Wait, is that a bad thing? Jackie Chan Adventures was awesome!!

But if I'm remembering right JCA had "arcs" as well, the first one being with Shindu and the Talismans then you had Dow Long Wong and the Ancient Demons (Shindu's comrades) after that you had the Demon Oni Mask arc and finally you had Drago, Shindu's son.
I was just thinking about this when thinking how to reply to this thread! :lol: I'm glad we got Dragon ball the way it is but I think it'd certainly be awesome it was done similar to JCA.
I'd begin with the saiyan arc, I'd have a few more saiyans though just to give the good guys more boss types to beat before getting to Vegeta at the end of the arc. Saibamen would be the common goons and come in masses. Then story progression can be made with every new season. It'd work, I know it :P
Smochi wrote:LOOK'S LIKE THE GINYU FORCE IS BLASTING OFF AGGGGAAAAIiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnn *ding*

That is all I would need to fund this.
Seconded, that's perfect :lol:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Wasn't the final arc in GT done like this? Beat up Dragon of the week?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.