Does it bother you when people use dub lines?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Does it bother you when people use dub lines?

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 pm

I see a-lot of people who wants to remain to the original source complain about dub lines. I'm not talking just the funimation and ocean audio. Any mis-translation or dub only names and or lines. I respect that the original source is the best reference material but should't most people know what they mean. It's not the person fault they watched a certain version. I use the Korean dub, manga, and Jap audio lines. I don't complain when people use dub lines. If I re-call correctly the Korean(Toonzai and Champ) was 60 - 94% accurate. For example some people complain that Funi used Goku instead of Son Goku
when characters speak to him. Is that worth complaining about? Here's a list of common change of lines in the dubs.

Pogi
Hercule
I can understand this one. As Pogi would't remind you of Mr Satan. Hercule is 50 50. Since many people use it on Youtube but not everyone watched the Funi Dub.
Bulma mom being changed to her sister. I find this very understandable. Since the spanish dub(I THINK it was the Latino dub) didn't want children to disrespect their parents.
Saiyan. I don't understand what's so wrong with saying Saiyan or Saiya instead of Saiyajin. Both of the 2 names are very simple to tell what the dub meant. It bothers me that people complain on this. If there is much difference to the name?
Makkankakasarappaposappo. Long ass name LOL
Kulilin. SOme langauges change this name slightly. Kulilin is a mouthful in many languages.
Hamehameha - Korean dub version of Kamehameha. Champ Dub if I'm correct. The way it sounds when the character does it does not sound like how it spelled.

The only dub error that bothers me is Frieza's personality.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Does it bother you when people use dub lines?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri May 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Not at all. If that's the version someone is familiar with rather than any other version (even the original Japanese version), then they should be allowed to use it IMO. What the original version had or said is something to be brought up of course, but I don't see it needing to be 'corrected' per say.

I come from a dub background first though, so my opinion on this is radically different from people that saw the Japanse version first I'm sure though. I also still bring up dub terms when talking to my mom, since that's all she knows.

Also, I had no idea there was a version that made Bulma's mom her sister...huh. That's...an oddly easy change to make now that I think about it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:23 pm

As long as they aren't the one's that we have heard a thousand times

like over 9000 or If this NOOO crap. Or cat loves food. or the crappy I am speech, or The lame Vegeta's changed reasoning for serving Freeza speech.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Fri May 17, 2013 9:32 pm

I think it's ultra-dorky to get 'mad' at someone for referring to a certain version of a Japanese cartoon that you personally don't like. I mean, I say 'Kuririn' myself, for example, but when someone says 'Krillin' (which is most people in the U.S) then I'm not gonna get agitated or anything.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri May 17, 2013 10:30 pm

It bothers me the most when people use English dub lines for a source of definitive information or characterization. Like the stupid crap all you want, but realize that half the things Goku says in the dub of DBZ he would never say.

Kai English dub lines bother me less.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:The only dub error that bothers me is Freeza.
Just wondering, is it the spelling or the portrayal?

I think it's irrational to be bothered by the "ie" spelling for Frieza (I have family whose name is "Friesen" and how is it pronounced? Yep, basically the same as "freezin"), considering how many different variations are there for "Goku" and how many of them make sense universally?

In terms of the portrayal, well... no argument here.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:
Half a pound of twopenny rice,
And half a pound of treacle,
That's the way the money goes….
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 pm

Dub lines are so bad they are good. That's why the are repeated.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm

penguintruth wrote:It bothers me the most when people use English dub lines for a source of definitive information or characterization. Like the stupid crap all you want, but realize that half the things Goku says in the dub of DBZ he would never say.
Amen! Preach it, brotha! :D

Yeah, I don't care if people (for some reason) prefer the dub, but when they use a dub as an "official source" , that makes me a sad panda. For a similar reason, I also feel DBZ Wiki is a hot mess (not in a good way.)

Though... I have a friend who uses Yajirobe's dub line from Movie 5 "I'M THE BEAN DADDY!" randomly when playing video games. I'll admit, it's pretty hilarious.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:43 pm

penguintruth wrote:It bothers me the most when people use English dub lines for a source of definitive information or characterization. Like the stupid crap all you want, but realize that half the things Goku says in the dub of DBZ he would never say.
That too bothers me greatly.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:

I think it's irrational to be bothered by the "ie" spelling for Freeza (I have family whose name is "Friesen" and how is it pronounced? Yep, basically the same as "freezin"), considering how many different variations are there for "Goku" and how many of them make sense universally?

In terms of the portrayal, well... no argument here.
I fixed it

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Not at all. If that's the version someone is familiar with rather than any other version (even the original Japanese version), then they should be allowed to use it IMO. What the original version had or said is something to be brought up of course, but I don't see it needing to be 'corrected' per say.
This.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 18, 2013 7:27 am

I'm not going to get "mad" either way, and I don't care if people use dub terms or names, but dub information that contradicts the original story can obviously be problematic when having a discussion. Things like Goku's father being a brilliant scientist, or Goku's teleportation letting him move at the speed of light, or West Kaio having fought Buu in the past, for example.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat May 18, 2013 2:39 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Not at all. If that's the version someone is familiar with rather than any other version (even the original Japanese version), then they should be allowed to use it IMO. What the original version had or said is something to be brought up of course, but I don't see it needing to be 'corrected' per say.
This.
Thirded, except two cases:

1. The "hope of the universe" speech pisses me off. It just does.
2. Any and all "factual" information, like Gohan's age or power levels or whatever else the dub did.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 pm

I definitely agree with Gyt Kaliba. and I think the thing that bothers me the most about Dragonball isn't the English Dub or the Japanese, it's The Fanbase and it bothers me to the point of worrying about peoples sanity. I've honestly never seen a worse fan-base than the Dragonball one. I cannot for the life of me understand why people care what other people like? I'm hoping one day to run into someone that grew up with The Big Green Dub and they absolutely hate the Japanese version and the Funimation version! God! will that be a treat. :P

And I happen to like the ''I am speech'' even though it wouldn't be something he'd say, it makes him sound more Superhero like.. :o What! I just said Goku is a superhero!?? Yup! because that's what he is. sure he's not like Batman,Superman,Spiderman. but he still fights Evil and tries to save his friends,family and other people on earth. he chose to fight on planet namek with freeza knowing it could explode at any minute to put freeza in his place and he did. when Cell was about to explode and destroy everything he transported himself and cell unfortunately to King Kai's planet. lol sacrificing yourself for everyone and thing you care about I call that a superhero.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat May 18, 2013 4:14 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I definitely agree with Gyt Kaliba. and I think the thing that bothers me the most about Dragonball isn't the English Dub or the Japanese, it's The Fanbase and it bothers me to the point of worrying about peoples sanity. I've honestly never seen a worse fan-base than the Dragonball one. I cannot for the life of me understand why people care what other people like? I'm hoping one day to run into someone that grew up with The Big Green Dub and they absolutely hate the Japanese version and the Funimation version! God! will that be a treat. :P

And I happen to like the ''I am speech'' even though it wouldn't be something he'd say, it makes him sound more Superhero like.. :o What! I just said Goku is a superhero!?? Yup! because that's what he is. sure he's not like Batman,Superman,Spiderman. but he still fights Evil and tries to save his friends,family and other people on earth. he chose to fight on planet namek with freeza knowing it could explode at any minute to put freeza in his place and he did. when Cell was about to explode and destroy everything he transported himself and cell unfortunately to King Kai's planet. lol sacrificing yourself for everyone and thing you care about I call that a superhero.
LOL you never seen a worst fanbase then DB? I admit DB is in the top 5 of worst fanbase. But I've seen worst. Trust me. It gets uglier then this.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:50 pm

The lines themselves, for the most part, don't bother me too much, unless they are terrible, then they do. What bothers me is when people act ignorant, and swear by the dub lines being the best, as if though there is no other mindset. There are dub fans, fans of the original Japanese version, and fans of both. The dubbies quote the dub lines like scripture, and won't accept anything else. That's what bother me. The lines alone, while not great, aren't enough for me to turn red over.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Out of curiosity TheGmGoken, What are the other 4?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 18, 2013 5:35 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Out of curiosity TheGmGoken, What are the other 4?
Wild guess: Sonic the Hedgehog, Invader Zim, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and...The Lion King...?

Although I'm not necessarily saying I agree with such a list.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:44 pm

I feel like only the crowd on this forums, and the weeaboos, actually give a shit about using the dub as reference for anything.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92