What would it take for a new DB series to work today?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

yuusha

Post by yuusha » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:38 pm

if a new series is done then it should concentrate on secondary characters. If it weren't for GT i'd say do a show about chibi-Pan with a new supporting cast including Videl, Gohan and Mr. Satan and hell throw in Bra in the Bulma role. Goku should only appear in flashback.

If I remember right Toryama said if he ever revisited Dragonworld that the main characters would be Mr. Satan and Buu

James

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:05 pm

I can only imagine what a normal day is for Mister Boo.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:07 pm

Imagine Neko-Majin.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:04 pm

In order for a new Dragon Ball series to be successful today, it would have to involve a whole bunch of different elements, like complex plots, deep characters, and a helluva lot of new transformations. Hell, my head started hurting about the time the Saiyans came. I don't think I'd be able to comprehend how powerful they'd keep on getting.

Of course, Dragon Ball with those things I mentioned just wouldn't be the same. I'd like to see it return to more of a comic feeling, but really, Dragon Ball would've ended perfectly after the Freeza story arc, yet it continued for two more sagas. Toriyama's already added enough to the series, and GT just milked out whatever was left. If anything, a remake would be better.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:06 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:In order for a new Dragon Ball series to be successful today, it would have to involve a whole bunch of different elements, like complex plots, deep characters, and a helluva lot of new transformations.
Is DragonBall even capable of sustaining a complex plot? The idea intrigues me. But then, if it were given such a plot, I imagine the fun humor would be shot right out the port-side hatch.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:06 am

Dragonball (And Z, if you need distinguishment) does have a complex plot, it just doesn't seem so after knowing it for so long. Imagine what it's like as it is untangling...developing...

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:18 am

Duo wrote:Dragonball (And Z, if you need distinguishment) does have a complex plot, it just doesn't seem so after knowing it for so long. Imagine what it's like as it is untangling...developing...
Well sure the plot does have a few layers, but where's the complexity of a storyline that's about a guy and his friends who try to beat the odds, when a new much stronger villian comes, who seeks to dominate whatever it is he wants to control?
I think the only 'real' complexity comes when Trunks' comes, since it's a defiance of time, and physics and what-not.
But otherwise it's just a dude trying to save his planet, by any means possible.

Complexity, not really. But it's not like thats ever been a problem for me.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:36 am

IMO, I think the character's depth was more complex than the plot. All of them had different attributes/traits that the fans could relate to. To me, that's saying a lot.

As for the plot, I think it has enough complexity; anymore than that would be unnecessary. I mean, have you ever tried to write a fanfiction or draw a fanmanga? I have yet to do either, but I imagine it's pretty damn hard.

But, I agree with you; it's never been a problem for me, either.

As for the new series, I think that with Akira Toriyama as the backbone of the story, it won't matter what plot or setting it revolves around. IMO, as long as Toriyama is involved, there's nothing to worry about.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:37 pm

h3ndrix2005 wrote:IMO, I think the character's depth was more complex than the plot. All of them had different attributes/traits that the fans could relate to. To me, that's saying a lot.
Thats the most complex angle the series has to offer, which isn't a bad thing, since I'd rather watch a series that has character depth, than a complex, and twisting story, where the characters were all just a buch of one-dimensional stereotypes, with no real reason to be doing anything that they're doing.

That is, if I had to pick what sort of series I was going to watch, and the choices were one, or the other.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:17 pm

h3ndrix2005 wrote:As for the plot, I think it has enough complexity; anymore than that would be unnecessary. I mean, have you ever tried to write a fanfiction or draw a fanmanga? I have yet to do either, but I imagine it's pretty damn hard.
It is pretty damn hard, since almost all the good ideas, and half the bad ideas, have already been used.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:29 pm

The basic premise (team up beat the overwhelming bad guy etc.) is always the same but occassionally there are some pretty complex saga plots: think the scramble and tactics of Freeza vs. Vegeta on Namek, and the entire Cell saga.