Moments where you think a dub did better than the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Moments where you think a dub did better than the original?

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:12 pm

This can be any dubs not just english. This can also go for DB-DBZ-DBZ Kai-DBGT-Movies. For me here's my list. I'll like for you to explain it please.

English:
Majin Vegeta at the world tournament. The emotion Chris Sabat showed was f***ing badass. The dialong is what made the scene so great. Goku's cocky but caring attitude was great work by Sean. This whole scene was just great work by the Funimation cast. Even Bruce(who I don't like) BGM was amazingly placed here. In my opinion even better then the original audio.

Goku transformed against Janemba. The scream nuff said.

Korean:
Dbz Kai - Goku turns ssj. The scream was my favorite for all of dbz kai's version of the scream. Something about it. It's so natural and have that feeling that makes me scared. Much better then the original Korean dub in Dbz.

Goku body swap in Dbz kai and Gohan realizing it. The acting of Gohan was prefect. Here's a link to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THIzx7H1l50 . Also my favorite Kid Gohan voice. To bad I only saw DBZ fully in Korean. I've only seen up to Freeza's "Death" on Namek for Dbz kai.

Goku and Vegeta talking in Hell when Goku tells Vegeta he's already dead. The scene was funny. Goku's actor made his voice goofy to say that one line with Vegeta sounding similar to Ryo. Vegeta sounded like be was in pain when he was crying. Then with Goku's caring voice it sounded great. Vegeta then sounding angry was a good fit.

Latino
Goku turning SSJ for the first time. Similar to the Korean dub of dbz kai the scream made this scene 10x better.

Gohan turns ssj2 for the first time on screen. The build up was much better than in the original and Gohan...shaking noises before the transformation was amazing. The scream was great. If Gohan had the Ozzaru sound effect then the would kill the original audio.

Cantonese:
Vegeta turns majin. The best laugh of the series. Sound scary, evil, and fucking badass. You should google it. It amazing. Or just click the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPOV2QPIzQ

Goku meets Bulma. Can't explain why. But I just like the scene better.

Well I don't want to make the list to long so post your opinions. Maybe I'll agree with them.

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Moments when you think a dub did better then the origina

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Never.

Oh wait, once Gohan fired a Masenko and in the Japanese version he cried "Kamehameha", but the English dub got it right.

There. Once.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm

English

SSJ3 scream against Janemba

Goku's rage after Freeza's Kienzan cheap shot

Goku's Krillin rage in Burt limit

Adult Gohan's voice (I still like Nozawa's, but every time he screams in Japanese I think Goku)

That's all I got at the moment

Malaysian dub

Best official comedy dub.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:30 pm

FUNi English:

-What penguintruth said.
-The explaination of how Cell regenerated after blowing himself up.

I have next to no familiarity with any other international dubs, so that's all I got.
-Joey

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm not sure that it's necessarily better, but Funimation's English dub for the Garlic Jr. arc is arguably more entertaining. That arc is so, so, so bad that the dumb re-writes actually help it. The purist in me balks at writing that, and yet it folds, because I know that I'd rather be laughing at ridiculously stupid lines like "COME TO BIG DADDY GARLIC!" then experience the stupor that the Japanese version puts me in.

Going to Kai, I'm going to say this now--English Cell tops Japanese Cell. Easily. I simply cannot get past Wakamoto's new voice for the character.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Goku's "our old race is dead" speech to Vegeta right before they fused was an improvement. Not only is it just better written than the original (which is essentially an unremarkable "we aren't strong enough" admonishment), it actually makes more sense as something that would legitimately convince Vegeta since the power increase would have been apparent to him even without Goku having to say it.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 pm

I can think of scenes that are on par or ones that are good in their own way but I can't think of anything "better". Except for that "How Hercule Beat Cell" movie.
penguintruth wrote:Never.

Oh wait, once Gohan fired a Masenko and in the Japanese version he cried "Kamehameha", but the English dub got it right.

There. Once.
I always assumed that was done on purpose as sort of a "I'm being strong like my dad" type thing.
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Any time Goku, Goten, Gohan or Bardock speak. :angel:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:29 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:Goku's "our old race is dead" speech to Vegeta right before they fused was an improvement. Not only is it just better written than the original (which is essentially an unremarkable "we aren't strong enough" admonishment), it actually makes more sense as something that would legitimately convince Vegeta since the power increase would have been apparent to him even without Goku having to say it.
Oh yeah, I remember that. It's definitely better than the Japanese dub, which is pretty much just "Flashback of how everyone got killed or absorbed to pad the episode." It's not horrible, but in such a good episode with an exceptionally good fight, it really sticks out.

Kudos to Funimation for that at least. :thumbup:

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm

As much as I dislike the Funimation dub, I quite liked their version of Buu's arrival on Kami's Palace much better than the original Japanese version (just before the episode ends). It really captures the feeling of "oh shit, we're screwed".

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

I suppose there are a few Funi voices I prefer to the original.

Kent Williams as Dr Gero.
Bradford Jackson as King Cold.
Dameon Clark as Semi Perfect Cell.
Chris Sabat as Super Yi Xing Long/Omega Shenlong.

Oh yeah, the talking/narrating during flash backs, if you were just jumping into DBZ and saw one of the flash backs you wouldn't have a clue what was happening. The flash backs in the Japanese version seem more like they were there to stretch the run time then to actually refresh the viewers memory or fill in newcomers.
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

The Cell Games reenactment movie during the 25th TB in the Funi dub.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

I wouldn't call it "better," but my heavy nostalgia for the FUNimation dub of Movie 5 outweighs whatever merits the original has.

I WATCHED A CHAAAAAANGE
IN YOOOOOOU
IT'S LIKE YOU NEVAAAAAAA
HAD WIIINGS

Uh, a real answer...? Maybe Supaa Bejiita no Biggu Ban Atakku-da!! in Kai, per Chris Sabat. Horikawa was obviously nothing to snuff at, but nothing is gonna top the original Z performance there. That entire scene is a treat when you consider how freaking awful the original dub is, both in performance and script. He doesn't even freaking say "Big Bang Attack" in the Z dub.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:52 pm

I prefer the metal bands for movies like the Coola one or the Broli one since those movies are pretty much just dumb fighting for the whole movie. My only complainant is that the lyrics don't really fit making me wish they had used instrumental versions of the songs. Here's my favorite example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCZu_4ISA7o The tone of the song in terms of instrumentals and melody is actually placed rather well, but the lyrics? "I took you home"? :eh: Oh wait, I get it now. The lyrics say "I watched you change" because he changed into a Super Super Saiyan!!!!! :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:
Last edited by Ringworm128 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Saiga wrote:Any time Goku, Goten, Gohan or Bardock speak. :angel:
LOL. Respect that opinion even through I disagree. Just the way you typed it me me laugh

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Oh and I prefer Sonny Straits Bardok. http://youtu.be/UYEt58DU2PQ?t=8m24s The way Buu goes from a deep voice into a high pitch scream is really well done and the piano music is placed rather well.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Chris Sabat as the Dictator. Was better in my view and you can tell he had fun with that role. Also most of the time when "Ginyu Transformation" plays, you know something big is gonna happen. And while it's true DBZ's sister shows are better at what tvtropes calls "woolseyisms", I did find the scene of Trunks and Goten relieving themselves funnier than the Japanese.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:45 pm

DBZ QUOTES

Now, I don't think one is "better" than the other. I think both the American dub and Japanese dub are unique in their own respects. I prefer the Faulconer score with the American dub as opposed to the Japanese music with the American dub, but on a whole, obviously find the vocal range of the Japanese cast better. But I think Funimation took a lot of compelling lines even further beyond. So on some scenes I prefer the Funimation versions with the Faulconer music over other "canon" or "proper verbatim" lines... sometimes.

Here are a few that I particularly enjoy more so than the original script:

Super Saiyan Goku versus Freeza lines:
Goku:" It's done."
Freeza: "What do you mean?!...Don't just stand there say something! You said its done what do you mean?!"
Goku: "Your energy level is decreasing with every blow, in fact you're not even a challenge to me any more. It wouldn't be fair for me to keep fighting you. I'm satisfied now. Your pride has been torn to shreds. You've challenged and lost to a fighter who is superior to you. And to make it worse he's just a monkey...right? It would be meaningless to fight you now. You're too scared and ashamed. Live with the shock. Keep it bottled up inside you. Silently."

Goku: "Goodbye Frieza, never do mischief again. May you live the rest of your life in peace."

Goku: "I don't understand why you call Saiyans by such mindless names. The only thing it does is reveal your own fear and ignorance. I guess name calling is your only attack because you're too WEAK to challenge me any other way!"

Filler episode where Vegeta talks to Raditz and Nappa about Freeza:

Vegeta: "Strength is the only thing that matters in this world. Everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
There is only one certainty in life...a strong man stands above and conquers all!!!"

Vegeta versus Pui Pui. http://youtu.be/bthV2eFZuCY
(1:24)
Vegeta: "Welcome to the end of your life. And I promise it's going to hurt. Ready for the pain?"

(5:12)
Vegeta: "Maybe if this was 500 times gravity you might have an advantage. But ten...I don't even feel it."

Majin Vegeta at the Tenkaichi Budokai

Majin Vegeta: "Spend most of your life ruled by another. Watch your race dwindle to a handful. And THEN TELL ME What has more meaning than your own strength. I have in me the blood of a Saiyan prince, he is nothing but a joke! Yet I've had to watch him surpass me in strength. My destiny thrown to the wayside. He's-he's even saved my life as though I were a helpless child. He has stolen my honor...And his debts MUST BE paid."

Majin Vegeta versus Goku

Majin Vegeta: "So Kakarot the table has been set, NOW LET US BEGIN!!"

Majin Vegeta: "Get out of my head. I already told you. I will not be distracted from this anymore. I won't! It will take more than head games to stop me! You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan Always keeps HIS PRIIIIIDE!!!"
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:18 am

Pretty much every single thing...especially Bruce Falcunor's music.
Bring the hate. :wink:

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:18 am

No, no, no. The Z dub will never be better than the original. It's pretty much a fact since the beginning. If you are talking about Kai, then that's a different story.

I can point out a few instances that Kai is on par with the original Japanese. Like Vegeta's first transformation into Super Saiyan in the front of the Artificial Humans. Sabat's delivery is top notch and his yell, "Yuuuurrraaahhh!!!", is pretty awesome to hear.

Let's not forget Goku's transformation as well as his speech to Freeza too.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.