What is your Dragon Ball canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

What is your Dragon Ball canon?

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Apparently as I just been in-formed today that DB canon only has personal canon. So I'll just like out my things that are canon. Apparently BoG isn't canon to some people. So....here goes. My canon. WAIT! Also describe your canon like tell why you think this is canon and that is non canon. I won't reply to most of the comments.

Manga(Kanzenban or original works)
EOB Manga
Yo son Goku and friends return anime version but with manga character designs.
Battle of Gods.
Anime History of Trunks
Bardock Special
Anime Majin Vegeta Vs Goku

I think manga is canon...well cause it's the original source and without it, DB won't exist lol.
EOB to me is canon because it explains the reason why FREEZA was scarred of the Saiyans.
Battle of Gods is canon because Akira talks about it like it's apart of the manga and he pretty much wrote the story. As Tarble was mentioned in the movie making YSGAFR.
Last edited by TheGmGoken on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is your canon of Db?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Here you go.

The manga (tankobon and Kanzeban)
Any anime filler that doesn't outright contradict the manga-so Gohan's training, driving episode, etc.
The Trunks and Bardock Specials (I place the Trunks special above the manga version, since I feel it makes more sense, and I think it's better.)
The Jump Special due to BOG referencing it.
Battle of Gods due to Toryama's involvement.
Movie 1 (Gohan plothole notwithstanding; there are worse plotholes in the manga.)
Movie 5-Shuesha includes it in the Chozenshu timeline, and it fits. Plus I like this movie.
Garlic Jr. Arc-References movie 1, and also falls under my non-contradicting anime filler rule.
Movie 9-Doesn't contradict anything, and I like it.
Movie 13-Same as above.
From what I've read about DB Online, it works pretty well. So I'll tentatively count it as well.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

PerfectFreeza
Regular

Post by PerfectFreeza » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:44 pm

How M13 doesn't contradict anything?It's power order is all messed up.
My canon is:The manga(obviously), Yo Son Goku anime version, Battle of Gods.Also Daizenshuu material, that doesn't contradict the manga.
Check out and join this awesome forum:
http://w11.zetaboards.com/DragonBallZone/index/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 pm

PerfectFreeza wrote:How M13 doesn't contradict anything?It's power order is all messed up.
My canon is:The manga(obviously), Yo Son Goku anime version, Battle of Gods.Also Daizenshuu material, that doesn't contradict the manga.
This is one of the few comments I'll reply to. Do you go by Anime History of Trunks or Manga Version? I ask cause you said the manga.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:54 pm

PerfectFreeza wrote:How M13 doesn't contradict anything?It's power order is all messed up.
Not really. Gohan was sloppy, and got blindsighted. Vegeta caught Hirudegarn off guard, then got one-shotted. Gotenks is a terrible fighter, and used up a lot of energy on Hirudegarn's first form. Goku had his shonen "If I don't, who will?" moment, and a haxxed technique. I don't see a problem with it.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MuffinButton

Post by MuffinButton » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:04 am

Dragon Ball anime
Dragon Ball Z anime (minus Fake Namek, Garlic Jr. Saga)
The Trunks and Bardock Specials
Dead Zone
Cooler's Revenge

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:05 am

- Manga.
- Dragon Ball anime.
- Dragon Ball Z anime.
- Dragon Ball GT ( barely ).
- The 14 Movies ( Alternate Universe ).
- TV Specials.
- Ova.
- Daizenshuu, Chozenshu that doesn't contradict the Manga.
- SEG.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:07 am

MDSTSSJ wrote:- Manga.
- Dragon Ball anime.
- Dragon Ball Z anime.
- Dragon Ball GT ( barely ).
- The 14 Movies ( Alternate Universe ).
- TV Specials.
- Ova.
- Daizenshuu, Chozenshu that doesn't contradict the Manga.
- SEG.
I should have been more clear. I mean canon in the main universe. Sorry about that

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:09 am

Original Manga
Dr. Slump (it exists in a parallel dimension closely tied with the manga-verse)
Non-contradictory anime filler
Both T.V specials (Trunks special overwrites the manga chapter)
Movie 5 (happens in the apocalyptic timeline before the arrival of the Artificial Humans)
Movie 9
Movie 13
2008 JSAT
Battle of Gods
The character designs of Dragon Ball GT (basically how everyone dressed and what they were doing at that point in time. I treat the events of GT to be a continuation of the anime)
DBO timeline events

Everything else happens when they happen. Except for Episode of Bardock. Fuck that shit.
Last edited by Insertclevername on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:10 am

Insertclevername wrote:Original Manga
Dr. Slump (it exists in a parallel dimension closely tied with the manga-verse)
Non-contradictory anime filler
Both T.V specials (Trunks special overwrites the manga chapter)
Movie 5 (happens in the apocalyptic timeline before the arrival of the Artificial Humans)
Movie 9
Movie 13
JSAT
Battle of Gods
The character designs of Dragon Ball GT (basically how everyone dressed and what they were doing at that point in time. I treat the events of GT to be a continuation of the anime)
DBO timeline events

Everything else happens when they happen. Except for Episode of Bardock. That's fucking stupid.
JSAT?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:13 am

Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:32 am

The manga.

I enjoy everything else as adaptations. I might go so far as to possibly add the original Bardock TV special as part of my canon.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:36 am

For the most part, the manga is what's canon to me. However, I do take a few things such as Gohan's adventures in the wild, the Driving Episode, the Jump Special, and Battle of Gods into my canon as well.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:17 am

I posted this recently in another thread, but anyway, here is my main canon.

Manga:
  • Kanzenban changes
  • Full Color/Colored Edition colors
Guidebooks:
  • Dragon Ball: Adventure Special
  • Dragon Ball: Daizenshuu 2, 4, and 7 (excluding anime-only information)
  • Dragon Ball: Chozenshuu 1 & 4 (excluding anime-only information)
  • Dragon Ball: Kanzenban Official Guides (Landmark & Forever)
  • Dragon Ball: Super Exciting Guides
Manga spin-offs:
  • Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!! (manga adaptation)
  • Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock (manga adaptation)
Anime:
  • Dragon Ball Z: A Final, Solitary Battle: The Father of Z-Warrior Son Goku, who Challenged Freeza (though it happened a little differently, with Bardock's armor staying undamaged from Dodoria's attack, and the final scene happened as shown in EoB)
  • Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (along with its guidebook)
Video Games:
  • Dragon Ball Online (along with its guidebook)
Other Toriyama manga:
  • Dr. Slump (manga)
  • Dr. Mashirito & Abale-chan (manga)
  • Neko Majin
Other:
  • Toriyama's interviews
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Movie 9-Doesn't contradict anything, and I like it.
Movie 13-Same as above.
This isn't to knock your personal canon, I'm just curious about the end of Movie 13 in terms of canon. So during the artificial humans arc, we learn that time travel itself does nothing but create a separate universe so defeating Cell and co. in one timeline doesn't affect the other.
So at the end of movie 13 after defeating Hirudegān they send Tapion back in time to his world. Wouldn't the creature still be alive there? Everything seems to end on happiness and smiles and I was sat there wondering why exactly?

I just assumed that given the monster's supernatural abilities with all the wormholes it pokes through that it is one single entity immune to the effects of time and alternate universes. Once it's dead, that's it.

Is the latter the case or is it a plot hole? I was never really clear on that.
Last edited by Ajay on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote: So at the end of movie 13 after defeating Hirudegān they send Tapion back in time to his world. Wouldn't the creature still be alive there? Everything seems to end on happiness and smiles and I was set there wondering why exactly?
I'e always wondered that... unless Tapion is sent to the past after the point he and his brother were sealed and sent away. His planet would be at peace by then (but he wouldn't be with Minoshia).

My canon is the same as DBZGTKOSDH.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Maybe the time machine is more advanced than the one from the future and it traveled back into the same timeline? Or what omegalucas said.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Manga:
The Manga
BOG
Episode of Bardock
2008 Jump Special

Anime:
DBZ Movie 1
DBZ Anime
DBZ Movie 9 (Maybe since it does fit but the events of the movie were never brought up again)
DBZ Movie 13
GT
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:51 pm

All of Toriyama's works, fit together however is required with alternate universes and whatever.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:07 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Manga spin-offs:
  • Dragon Ball: Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!! (manga adaptation)
  • Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock (manga adaptation)
Just curious, but why the manga adaptations for these? Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the manga releases followed the anime releases which would make them the spin-offs. Just like in the rare case that a book is movie-inspired.