Different Dragon Ball pronunciations that bother you

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Different Dragon Ball pronunciations that bother you

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Basically different version or spelling of names that bother you.

I hate the Vegerot name in the Viz manga. Vegito was a much better step up from that if we couldn't have Vegetto.

I hate Herculopolis. Hercule isn't that bad for me, and Hercule City would have been a better choice like in the english dub.

Not a fan of Kulilin or Gokuh, but I don't hate them

I don't like Baddack.

I don't like the I in Fr'i'eza, but it's not that bad.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Different Dragon Ball pronunciations you hate

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:46 pm

I find all the name changes and mispronunciations to be annoying. Though only from official productions. I wouldn't get agitated if some random person pronounced "Saiyan" as "Seiyan.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Looneygamemaster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Looneygamemaster » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 pm

The name "Shenron" kind of annoys me. I know, it's the whole "L/R" issue, but some research should have made it obvious what his name's supposed to be.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 am

Looneygamemaster wrote:The name "Shenron" kind of annoys me. I know, it's the whole "L/R" issue, but some research should have made it obvious what his name's supposed to be.
They wouldn't have been able to have the fun with acronyms that they had in GT if they used "Shenlong" though.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:29 am

Vegerot and Hercule are the big ones. Never really had an issue with Frieza. It's not like it's pronounced any differently or anything.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 am

I hate it when people try to say "Goku," but then they're like, "Gbffpsgph," and they spit their soup all over you.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:55 am

Cipher wrote:I hate it when people try to say "Goku," but then they're like, "Gbffpsgph," and they spit their soup all over you.
:lol: I've never had to suffer that particular misfortune. Sounds unpleasant.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:24 am

Fr"i"eza always bothered me for some reason. Freeza is just simple and perfect why did the dub need to change it?

Vegerot is annoying but it makes sense given the translation, I think.

Of course, Hercule, but my mind auto-corrects it to Mr. Satan
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 am

Pikkon being called Pie-con

Just sounds like a convention for pies.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 am

Funi's GO-ku has bothered me ever since I learned the correct way to pronounce it is emphasizing the back-end of the name instead of the front. Go-KUU is more fun to say; Blooma is also equally fun to say. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:35 am

I don't like "Bulma" because the pun is lost, I don't like the H-word, I don't like "Shenron". I don't like the word "android" or leaving "Kami" in Japanese, but those are really just translational things. I actually quite like "Krillin" and I think Frieza is a cooler spelling than Freeza, and it doesn't change the pronounciation (thief, grief, belief, niece, chief, Bieber). To have Vejito they'd have to use Vejita and Kakarotto, to use Vegetto they'd still need to have said Kakarotto, I'd rather have Vegerot than that inconsistency.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 am

^ Reminds me. I prefer Kakarotto to Kakarrot even if you lose some of the carrot pun I believe.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 am

I despise Hercule more than anything else. Looking through other forums occasionally and seeing people use that name like it's correct drives me insane. Like others said, when I'm reading the manga, my mind does just autocorrect it.

Vegerot annoys me as it just feels unnecessary. In the early Dragon Ball volumes, they had plenty of translation notes allowing the original names and puns to stay intact. Not sure why those had to disappear in the later volumes. Perhaps they feel like translation notes reflect badly on their work as it might imply they couldn't translate something fully. Kinda silly but hey ho.

Pretty much every change in GT annoys me. Omega Shenron? Tuffles? :roll:

Spirit Bomb instead of Genki Dama has started annoying me recently when I've sat and thought about it. I believe it literally means 'Energy Ball/sphere' which has much more peaceful connotations in conjunction with its creation. Spirit BOMB is just so aggressive and to me, doesn't really fit what that move stands for.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:45 am

The only cool thing about the 'Shadow Dragons' name in the English dub was this... I didn't notice it at first.

1. Syn Shenron
2. Haze Shenron
3. Eis Shenron
4. Nuova Shenron
5. Rage Shenron
6. Oceanus Shenron
7. Naturon Shenron

The first letter of each of their names ie Syn in numerical order spells, Shenron (dub name for Shenlong).

I kinda didn't mind them all being named after elements or whatnot. But prefer the simplicity of 'One Star Dragon'.
Last edited by DBZ Mick on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

-DemonRin

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:52 am

Not a fan of "Kulilin"...it just doesn't sounds great in my opinion.
I'm okay with "Kuririn" or "Krillin"
One World. 🌐 🕊

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:58 am

I've never been a fan of Vegerot over in the Viz manga either. I get the logic behind it, but it's still just...silly. I always mentally correct it to 'Vegito' in my head.

Also not a fan of Herculopolis, even though I have no real problems with 'The H-Word' proper. I prefer Mr. Satan of course, but I can deal with either.

I also have no problem, unlike many fans, with 'Fr-i-eza' or FUNi's pronunciation of Saiyan. The whole hatred of the 'i' in Freeza seems a bit much to me, since it doesn't really change anything important about the character - especially not compared to where the old take on him went - and still preserves the pun better than stuff like 'Furiza', IMO. As for FUNi's way of saying Saiyan, that's just what I'm most used to. The only way I can make myself say it the proper way is to go all the way and say 'Saiya-jin'.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:03 am

Fizzer wrote:I don't like the word "android" ... but those are really just translational things
Just throwing it out there, this is Toriyama's mistake. He didn't bother to accurately look up what 17 and 18 were and used a catch-all term for everybody in that group. Does Japan even have a word for "cyborg" or is just a loan word in katakana?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 am

Tuffles is one that bothers me. It sounds silly but not in that toriyama-esque way. Vegerot sounds weird and not powerful. Vegeto doesn't work in the dub because they don't pronounce Goku's Saiyan name as "Kakarotto". I wish they had gone with Gogeta. I don't know why I'm pretty much the only one that thinks this is a good idea.
I don't like "Bulma" because the pun is lost
Does the pun always have to be apparent?
Looneygamemaster wrote:The name "Shenron" kind of annoys me. I know, it's the whole "L/R" issue, but some research should have made it obvious what his name's supposed to be.
To be fair, that's how I remember the Dragon Ball online community spelling it. It wasn't until Simmons' subtitles that I saw "Shen Long".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 am

ABED wrote:Tuffles is one that bothers me. It sounds silly but not in that toriyama-esque way. Vegerot sounds weird and not powerful. Vegeto doesn't work in the dub because they don't pronounce Goku's Saiyan name as "Kakarotto". I wish they had gone with Gogeta. I don't know why I'm pretty much the only one that thinks this is a good idea.
As in refer to Vegito as Gogeta, just using one name for both fusions? ...Huh. That's an interesting concept at least.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:16 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
ABED wrote:Tuffles is one that bothers me. It sounds silly but not in that toriyama-esque way. Vegerot sounds weird and not powerful. Vegeto doesn't work in the dub because they don't pronounce Goku's Saiyan name as "Kakarotto". I wish they had gone with Gogeta. I don't know why I'm pretty much the only one that thinks this is a good idea.
As in refer to Vegito as Gogeta, just using one name for both fusions? ...Huh. That's an interesting concept at least.
It makes more sense than calling him "Vegito" when it's not a combination of their names.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.