Does anyone else dislike how Toriyama used Future Trunks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does anyone else dislike how Toriyama used Future Trunks

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:34 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I always get a little bothered when people say Trunks should've had a bigger role. He killed Freeza AND Cell and saved two universes from the androids. What more do you want? You want him to kill Cell THRICE? You want him to take one character's only real accomplishment? Hell, the only real accomplishment from ANYONE in this arc except him?

Yeah no. If anything I would cut back on his role. His big moment was killing the androids; I don't think he needed to kill Freeza and Cold.
How did Trunks save the main timeline from the cyborgs?

He didn't have to kill Freeza, in fact Freeza should've died on Namek. Having him survive was just absurd. If Trunks isn't the one to kill Cell in the main timeline, Gohan should be more proactive.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:47 pm

He warned them and gave Goku the medicine. Without him, you get... well, Future Trunks' timeline.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Fine but Gohan is very passive.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree that the conclusion of the Cell Saga was very poorly handled. It's one of the main reasons why I consider the Cell Saga the worst one by far, rivaled only by the last third of the Buu Saga.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:02 am

The only parts of the Buu arc I like are Goku vs. Vegeta, Vegeta vs. Fat Buu, and Vegetto to end of Kid Buu. The rest drags. The Cell arc could've been better written but I do like Goku vs. Cell and Gohan vs. Cell.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04 am

Agreed. Much of the Buu saga was a tad bit unnecessary. Too much of Fat Buu (childish) and also a bit too much showing Mr. Satan and his new pet dog. :roll:

I know Mr. Satan is funny and all, but that was so Cell Saga.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:26 am

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:Agreed. Much of the Buu saga was a tad bit unnecessary. Too much of Fat Buu (childish) and also a bit too much showing Mr. Satan and his new pet dog. :roll:

I know Mr. Satan is funny and all, but that was so Cell Saga.
In the anime maybe, I didn't mind him in the manga. The thing I liked is that Toriyama made him sympathetic and more interesting than just a blow hard. Plus, he comes in handy at the end, so the time spent with him isn't simply wasted.

The stuff I don't like is Gohan getting yet another power up, the Tenkaichi Budokai depresses me, and basically all the stuff with Gotenks. There's some good humor there but Toriyama put way too much emphasis on him.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:29 am

ABED wrote:The only parts of the Buu arc I like are Goku vs. Vegeta, Vegeta vs. Fat Buu, and Vegetto to end of Kid Buu. The rest drags. The Cell arc could've been better written but I do like Goku vs. Cell and Gohan vs. Cell.
Interestingly, those are the parts that I consider among the worst in all of Dragon Ball. The story took a HUGE drop in quality to shoehorn Goku back in to the spotlight, destroying his character in the process.

Gohan vs Cell was also by far the least entertaining final battle, for me.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:33 am

Gotenks was too much HAHA for me. The Kid Buu fight had some intense fighting, where Goku and Vegeta looked beat up. I also love Vegeta finally admitting without reluctance that Goku is superior to him.

I'd much rather Goku be shoehorned in than Gohan take the spotlight he's not suited for. Gohan vs. Cell wasn't the best end battle, but I enjoyed it, especially turning SS2 and the Kamehameha battle.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 am

As far as the Anime goes, Goku vs. Cell had to be the most intense/fast paced battle in the whole show. I don't know about the Manga but that was one of my favorite fights.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:39 am

Kind of ruined when you remember that Cell is holding back a massive amount of power and is essentially just toying with Goku the entire time.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:43 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Kind of ruined when you remember that Cell is holding back a massive amount of power and is essentially just toying with Goku the entire time.
Basically what almost every character does in Z. Especially Frieza, who showcases like 3 transformations, and 3 more power ups.. :D

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:17 am

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:As far as the Anime goes, Goku vs. Cell had to be the most intense/fast paced battle in the whole show. I don't know about the Manga but that was one of my favorite fights.
It's certainly better in the anime but I think it's a somewhat overrated fight. Goku vs Vegeta, Goku vs Piccolo, Goku and Piccolo are vastly better IMO.
Too much of Fat Buu (childish) and also a bit too much showing Mr. Satan and his new pet dog. :roll:
I could say the say of the Artificial Humans and them joyriding.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:36 am

Jord wrote:To me, the usage of Trunks is horrible. First he beats Freeza and his men in 2 epsiodes and then leaves. This cheats the viewer out of a potentially great Freeza/Cold vs Vegeta/Piccolo/Gohan/others battle which could be interesting considering both Vegeta and Piccolo trained a lot. We also don't know how strong Freeza is so for all we know it could be an even match. Nope, Freeza shows up and jobs right away.

A while later Trunks, the super strong Super Saiya-jin returns and he does nothing of note except going on boring scouting missions and keeps yapping on about how strong the Jinzoningen are. Although he handled Freeza with ease, he is now the main jobber of the saga. He easily gets beaten by 18+18, then he gets outsmarted by Vegeta and Cell. After that he bulks up and jobs once again to Cell. After that, he does in the end battle and we never see him again. When he was introduced, he seems like an interesting character but from his return on, he just grows more and more useless.
I like how you failed to mention him going back to his timeline and destroying the Androids and Cell. :roll:
The world's greatest.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:59 pm

I think Toriyama used Trunks correctly. If you think about it, Trunks had only one purpose: to change the future. I was rather happy to see him come back after a little time had passed. Seeing him get a special and seeing him become a major character in the Cell Games and kill the androids of his time were satisfying. And seeing how the Trunks from the current timeline turns out due to the "peaceful" time he grew up in is just icing on the cake.

Toriyama wanted to pass the torch to Gohan and he had been hinting at it the entire time. Gohan's "hidden power" and the fact that Gohan is the one who trained Future Trunks were both major hints, at least for me.

But then again, Gohan is my favorite character. I was happy to see him finally get his share of the spotlight. I think what Toriyama did to him in the Saiyaman/Buu arc was far worse than anything Future Trunks had to endure. He basically went from being the strongest character in the series to being a punching bag for Buu. I know Gohan didn't really enjoy fighting, but it seemed like he could have possibly learned to love fighting by what happened in the Cell Arc. At the very least, he should have kept training. It makes me sad. :(

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Toriyama wanted to pass the torch to Gohan and he had been hinting at it the entire time. Gohan's "hidden power" and the fact that Gohan is the one who trained Future Trunks were both major hints, at least for me.
He's too passive, he almost always has to be pushed, and there's no connection between Gohan and the main villain. If Toriyama wanted to pass the torch to Gohan, Gohan should've been more active in the entire Cyborg/Cell arc. He was active in the Freeza arc, but he became annoying before the Cell fight. He didn't have to enjoy fighting. I dont' know why everyone brings that up. My beef is that it shouldn't matter if he loves it, you don't need to love to fight in order to defend your values.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:49 pm

ABED wrote:
He's too passive, he almost always has to be pushed, and there's no connection between Gohan and the main villain. If Toriyama wanted to pass the torch to Gohan, Gohan should've been more active in the entire Cyborg/Cell arc. He was active in the Freeza arc, but he became annoying before the Cell fight. He didn't have to enjoy fighting. I dont' know why everyone brings that up. My beef is that it shouldn't matter if he loves it, you don't need to love to fight in order to defend your values.
And Gohan states just that when he speaks to Cell. He doesn't want to fight, but brings out the power eventually.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:53 pm

And yet he not only needs 16 to tell him it's okay for him to explode, and he needs his father to hold his hand.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:59 pm

ABED wrote:And yet he not only needs 16 to tell him it's okay for him to explode, and he needs his father to hold his hand.
What's wrong with that? He's fucking 9 - 10 with the world in his hands. Hell the kid doesn't even like fighting(yes he randomly turned into a pacifist) and he to have that much pressure on him. Trunks had that pressure his whole life so he's used to it. Gohan...not so much.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:38 pm

TheGmGoken wrote: What's wrong with that? He's fucking 9 - 10 with the world in his hands. Hell the kid doesn't even like fighting(yes he randomly turned into a pacifist) and he to have that much pressure on him. Trunks had that pressure his whole life so he's used to it. Gohan...not so much.
Exactly. Trunks is also much older, and has lived his whole life surviving by a slim margin. He doesn't have the "luxury" of growing up with a father always there to protect him. If you think about it, Gohan had to grow up REAL fast. Although I agree with the random pacifist sentiment as well. He had no problem fighting on Namek.