Favorite transformation sequence?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Favorite transformation sequence?

Post by oponok » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:17 pm

The transformations are unquestionably a vital part of DBZ. It's both the reason why many people (who only watched one episode) hate the series so passionately and one of the reasons why many love it (because the scenes are dramatic and look cool). What's your favorite transformation in the series? You can assume I'm talking about the anime, since the transformations of the manga counterpart usually only last one panel, but if you wish to include one from the manga, then that's splendid. Fusions, movies, and GT, too.

I would consider Trunks' transformation before his fight with (or slaughter of) Freeza to my personal favorite. The voices, music, the sequence, and animation really all work brilliantly. This is also the only episode in the series in which Trunks accomplishes anything in a fight, thus all the more special.

And what's your least favorite? Mine would be SSJ3 Goku's. It was far too long, and while that would have been acceptable if it was especially cool or original, it was basically just Goku bellowing for ten minutes while everyone gasped in amazement at Kami's place. Nothing interesting, nothing new. And the fight that followed was less than spectacular. I never got the feeling that SSJ3 was anything special (though it never really seems to be, anyway) as with Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta's SSJ and SSJ2 transformations and Cell and Freeza's different forms.

SSJ4 Vegeta comes in a close second. Why? Because I would have rather seen Goku and Vegeta team up and violence the hell out of Omega Shenron than to immediately fuse into the worst character in the entire series. All that build up for SSJ4 Vegeta and we get nothing.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:18 am

I always liked Goku going full tilt with Kaio-ken in front of Commander Ginyu. Jeice and Ginyu were terrified when they saw Goku's power shoot up to 180,000. I always liked that power-up sequence best.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:10 am

No question about it, my favorite transformation sequence is when Gohan at last transformed into his ultimate "Mystic" upgraded form. It gave light to the true utmost power Gohan would ever gain in his life and was a great set up for his battle with Buu, first time I saw it, fooled me into thinking he was the One to defeat Buu and save the universe, unfortunatly my dream was shattered by Toriyama's editor and the whining Goku fan-boys :evil: . Gohan's "Mystic" ascension is my favorite because it showcases the final destiny of (in my opinion) the most important character in the Z series. But hey, I'm just a Gohan fan-boy, what do I know? :roll:
14 years later

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:19 am

I think my favorite is, by far, Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation! The one when he's trying to stall Buu and Babidi. It was pretty intense, and in my opinion, kind of unexpected.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:22 am

Super Vegetto was great. Not nessessarily the transformation itself, but the unspoken "Buu is screwed". Sucks that Mr. Toriyama went on with kid Buu, though...

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:03 am

When it comes to the Anime...I don't really like any of them, they all go way out of context with how it should have been. Meh, I guess I'd go with SS2 Gohan (Anime) up until the NEXT episode started and he somehow reverted and had to transform again, only taking 5 minutes to do it for no reason.

Onward to the world without Toei...

Manga-wise, I'd go with either Trunks before slaughtering Freeza in an instant, or Super Vegeta, because it was just...so...awesome...

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:57 am

Unquestionably when Trunks transforms to SSJ in front of Freeza. The music that plays in the Japanese version is just excellent in that scene.

Of course SSJ2 Gohan (Cell games) is also great and my second favorite.

Notable mentions include: Goku's Kaioken (180000 power level) vs. Ginyu and Kaioken x20 vs. Freeza (all in Japanese of course).

As for SSJ Goku and SSJ3 Goku, while I do like those transformations the ones mentioned above are definitely superior. I do like however the very last frame in the SSJ Goku transformation (at the very end of the episode) when you have this great shot of SSJ Goku, Freeza, Gohan and Piccolo together in the same frame.
Last edited by Adnan on Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

TtTt

Post by TtTt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:27 am

20x kaioken vs freeza and it was damn cool to end it with a full powered kamehameha..
Every lie contains truth, every truth contains a lie - Shu (Wu Yung
The Great Intelligence) - Tenki Star of Wisdom

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:38 am

I don't like the anime transformations because they kind of controlled how you viewed them. In the manga, Gohan is shown having a flash of emotion which sets him off as going ape-tit crazy. Result = SSJ2. The anime made more of a sadness thing, which gave the realisation that he could power up to SSJ2. HUGE difference! It was even annoying for me, since SSJ states are even mentioned as being about increasing one's anger and not one's power. Besides: Gohan already knew he had that power within him.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:12 pm

My favorite sequence was Vegeta going SSJ for the first time. He was bloody, beaten and broken down. The way he looked at his bleeding hands knowing that he had pushed himself so hard only to get nowhere. He's about to lose it and then BAM he turns SSJ. Easily my favorite transformation in the series.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:16 pm

SSJ2 Gohan (Cell Games) he finally snaps you immediatly know "Cell is dead"
Who said life isn't a game?

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:25 pm

I really liked the first time Goten and Trunks fused into Gotenks, and then Gotenks going SSJ 3, as I really didn't expect it (I wasn't active on the internet, hey, I was even looking forward to GT at this time). I also like the fusion of Uub and Buu, even though he was on screen for about 30 seconds.

But now, after seeing the SSJ 2 Gohan scene with the Japanese audio, that's also one of my favorites.

My least favorite has to be Freeza's 4th form, not because I dislike it, only because we'd have to see it for the next year and a half.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:26 pm

True that the transformation in the anime are better than in the manga, despite the fact that the artwork in the manga is significantly better, and would look stunning in colour and moving, wouldn't it have be wicked if Toriyama drew some of the actual pictures for the anime sequences? I think it would have.

Anyway, my best transformation sequence is when Goku goes SSJ for the first time, why? Well, it was the first time you got to see SSJ and in Japanese it is way cool. Goku's voice is made deeper to show the severity of the situation.

Mirai Trunks going SSJ is cool too. Music and all.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:24 pm

Bejiita wrote:True that the transformation in the anime are better than in the manga
Er...I don't remember reading a concensus about that... :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

TheLiveActionAnimeBoy

Post by TheLiveActionAnimeBoy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:26 pm

Gohan going SSJ2 in the Cell games. A LOT of emotion that really brought it all out and you can really feel his rage when he screams like crazy.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Bejiita wrote:True that the transformation in the anime are better than in the manga
Er...I don't remember reading a concensus about that...
The truth is that the ones in the anime are the most drawn out and are more typically referenced, regardless of whether they're better or worse. When someone just mentions SSJ2 Gohan's transformation, we tend to think of the anime. The TV show is loud and colorful, the manga is not, and that's probably why most people prefer it.

However, longer, louder, and colorful doesn't mean better. We need to remember that there's a difference between comics and animation, same as with any other media. Toriyama is using only a few frames to shows us something, while the anime has a half hour of our time to dedicate to a transformation. We really cannot compare the two different media very easily, unless Toriyama's work really sucked or the anime really sucked, which isn't the case. Manga can't have music or voice acting, but it provides much more closure, and the artform can be surprisingly strong while in good hands. Also, each panel in a (good) comic tends to really count, while animated counterparts tend to waste a good amount of time on what is believed to be "character development," which really ends up as arbitrary scenes.

Thus, when someone says, "The book's always better than the movie," inform them that that statement means exactly tommyrot.

Do I have my favorite transformations in the manga? Yes, but the Trunks sequence in the anime just stands out in my mind, at this point. Are the transformations in the anime better overall in my opinion? Not a chance.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:12 pm

In the manga, it would have to be Gohan transforming to SSJ2. Hands down.

Anime, was a harder thing. I could say I really liked Goku's SSJ transformation. Unlike the later transformations, we didn't really know what it would be like, and the result left you with a great feeling, that it was something awesome. I don't know why, but I liked the scene more better in English than in Japanese.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:26 pm

Mirai Trunks after finding Mirai Gohan's body. I consider this the most emotional of all DBZ and it was also pretty awesome to see Trunks finally become an SSJ.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:03 am

Gohan becoming Great Saiyaman. Now THAT was a transformation. :lol:

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:46 am

Dayspring wrote:
Er...I don't remember reading a concensus about that... :?
Neither do I, it's just what I think. It's obvious that the transformation sequences are handled much better in the anime, I'm not saying the manga is worse than the anime, because I have a love for the manga that the anime just cannot produce, and that's Toriyama's distinctive style of drawing, only a few of the artists that drew the anime could mimic some of the expressions the characters pull, but Toriyama drew them the best.

Obviously, sound, colour and movement works better than black and white stills, Toriyama even said he was a bit jealous of the way explosions looked compared to he's manga drawn ones, even though I like the way he draws Ki attacks and explosions.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/