Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 10

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 am

Freeza's pose is really awkward. He's blasting Vegeta's blast (?) while looking in another direction.

Also, Vegeta's Namek armor padding is incorrectly colored yellow like his previous and later armors, rather than the brown padding his Namek suit had.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:19 am

Roland_ELoG wrote:Oh jeez that box art. It makes me feel all funny inside.

But then again, who displays their games and movies like that? Does anybody? I don't have that kind of free shelf space to devote to Another Dragon Ball Z Collection (TM); all of it is taken up by those chunky Funimation singles, and they get filed away like normal DVDs.
:shifty: I display my Zelda Games like that & my current favourite game cause the Disc is always in the system.
I do like the cover art very much though if they have 3 covers done how frequently will these be released and will they transition into the Jinzoningen Arc or will it start over again?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 am

Freezer not looking at Vegeta is due to the fact that the cover must be able to also stand alone if need be.
Whether it's a good reason or not, that's likely why they wanted him - the most visible character - to have his face oriented towards the viewer, like Goku and Vegeta on their respective cover, so he deviates the blast as if not caring and not even needing to see it. The thing is that it implies his attention is focused on something/someone else on the foreground, so he's still looking at nothing/no one in both cases, but at least this way he has his face oriented towards the foreground.

Having Freezer looking in the direction of Vegeta would have been ackward if there's actually no one there for someone having only Season 3, especially for the center and bigger character showcased. It's as if Raditz had no Goku in front of him: if there's no one, no character is supposed to be looking at something invisible in the background.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 am

Not a fan of the covers. They seem really rushed with little thought put in. Reminds me of those fake video game boxart mock ups people make.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 am

I can't help but feel that it'd look better if they weren't cramming as many characters as possible onto them.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:48 am

I hope there'll be something on the spines too, because I'm not displaying them that way around. Doesn't it look a bit like they've made season 1 so that they might be able to attach season 5 of Dragon Ball next to it later?

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:09 am

If these were designed to have artwork on the spines, then the space probably wouldn't have been filled up with information like "Season One" and "Episodes 001-039". Unless that stuff is under the slip-cover.
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:54 am

Fizzer wrote:Doesn't it look a bit like they've made season 1 so that they might be able to attach season 5 of Dragon Ball next to it later?
good poit but if they do plan on a blu-ray release for the first series i hope they keep the aspect ratio in it's original 4:3
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:41 pm

sintzu wrote:
Fizzer wrote:Doesn't it look a bit like they've made season 1 so that they might be able to attach season 5 of Dragon Ball next to it later?
good poit but if they do plan on a blu-ray release for the first series i hope they keep the aspect ratio in it's original 4:3
It has already been revealed that the new Blu-rays will have a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:44 pm

He's talking about Dragon Ball.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:16 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. It sucks that it's widescreen, but as long as they re-frame each shot to get most of the action i'm ok with it. Unless Toei does it, we'll probably never get a YuYu Hakusho quality Bluray release in 4:3. Also, they gave us the Dragon Boxes. I still have mine and they look fine on my HDTV. I NEVER thought they would give us the DBs so I will give them a pass on this. The trailer looks great and I've pre-ordered.

If you haven't seen it: http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2585
Last edited by Tenken on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:19 pm

IMO, the trailer sucked. It sucked Hard. Bad. Rough. It was a compilation of Dirty, Messy, Slurping. Sometimes what it was sucking fell out it was trying so little.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:21 pm

TheAldella wrote:IMO, the trailer sucked. It sucked Hard. Bad. Rough. It was a compilation of Dirty, Messy, Slurping. Sometimes what it was sucking fell out it was trying so little.
Judging it by the standards of the YYH Blurays, I would agree. I think it's fine though.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:26 pm

We're taking questions to submit to FUNimation for an exclusive Q&A/interview/article in the near future:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/11/07/fu ... questions/

I'll try to scrape what I can from the forum thread from this point onward, but please feel free to also contribute in the other ways we outline in the post so I can keep track of as many submissions as possible.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Tenken wrote:
TheAldella wrote:IMO, the trailer sucked. It sucked Hard. Bad. Rough. It was a compilation of Dirty, Messy, Slurping. Sometimes what it was sucking fell out it was trying so little.
Judging it by the standards of the YYH Blurays, I would agree. I think it's fine though.
Just to note, that's kind of a different ballgame all together. The YYH Blurays were made using the Bluray footage from the Japanese release of that series on Bluray. DBZ has no such option, so no matter what, it had to be a FUNi-made restoration.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm well aware of that, and taking that into consideration (see my other post). I'm sure FUNi did the best they could. I just wish they would have left a little grain in. Then again, this seems like a mainstream type of release so film grain probably wasn't a priority.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Ahh, I missed that part of your previous post. My bad. :(

Hmm...I'm trying to think of any questions I might have for FUNi about this release, but since I'm only vaguely interested in the release and am trying to avoid getting caught in the flames as they burn like they haven't since the Season Sets...not sure I have anything that's applicable really.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I wonder how many times they've had to advertise the arrival of Raditz in their storied history.

Raditz is like a groundhog who, if he sees his shadow, means six more months of Saiyan arc releases from Funimation.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:55 pm

penguintruth wrote:I wonder how many times they've had to advertise the arrival of Raditz in their storied history.

Raditz is like a groundhog who, if he sees his shadow, means six more months of Saiyan arc releases from Funimation.
Oh my goodness, please. With or without wise cracks, I'll let you do anything as long as I finish.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 11

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm

FUNimation's raw footage on Blu-Ray would look better than this remastering. Here's hoping the next DBZ rerelease is better.