Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Now that I've seen this ( thanx VegettoEX) it is a possibility more dragon boxes are coming.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:33 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
Well the thing is, the answers are upfront, but they were never going to not be pseudo-cleaned up PR approved answers.

They were never going to provide insight into their internal processes on how things are done, which seems to be your primary issue.

And from a business points of view, it's hard to argue with the results, watching those BDs near the top of the anime chart on Amazon.
I disagree. I don't find them to be up front at all. They just skirt around issues without clarifying anything. It's all ambiguities and nonsense.

They totally disregard the comment regarding normal business practice with the remastering processes. They have the nerve to refer to 4:3 as 'standard definition'. A mistake? maybe. Either way, there's absolutely nothing in there that even resembles an ounce of integrity.

You can still be a business and be honest in your PR. Admit what you're doing is usually frowned upon and then back it up with reasons as to why you think what you're doing is a better way.

It's just a wholly arrogant response. "We went the extra mile to make the end result something diehard fans can appreciate". They're not stupid. They're fully aware of what 'diehard' fans think. They shouldn't pretend otherwise.

I understand your point but there's large difference between a company speaking in pretty PR babble and coming out with self-important garbage.

Regardless of whether you agree, I have every right be annoyed at the response. It shouldn't matter what I was expecting.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:41 pm

The PR can only say what he/she is allowed to, like, he couldn't say "Don't buy our release, purchase the Japanese Dragon Boxes as they're the best release out there" this would get him fired.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The PR can only say what he/she is allowed to, like, he couldn't say "Don't buy our release, purchase the Japanese Dragon Boxes as they're the best release out there" this would get him fired.
Fully aware of how PR works. Not the point I was making though.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Fennekin
Not Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Fennekin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:52 pm

After reading the Q&A, I'm now convinced FUNimation has no intention of ever listening to what the consumers want. So hopefully, the sale prices don't meet FUNimation's expectations, and they'll learn that making it "16"9" and "HD" doesn't make it better. Sure, we live in a new generation and sure, more and more people prefer high definition, but I don't think it should apply to products not created for such measures. But I digress. I'll be eager to see how may sets they sell before they realize the truth.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Well, if a Dragon Box rerelease isn't outside the realm of possibilities (despite there being no plans for it), that's what I'll be holding out for.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Fennekin wrote:After reading the Q&A, I'm now convinced FUNimation has no intention of ever listening to what the consumers want.
Well, they do listen to what the consumers want... :roll:
Fennekin wrote:sure, more and more people prefer high definition
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Barnes and Noble has DBZ Season 2 [Blu-ray] on pre-order for $27.21.

For UK residents, with the cheapest shipping method (7-21 days) it comes to a total of $35.69 = £21.55.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-dra ... 4400015526
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:06 pm

my take on this is that they know whats going on from just reading the feedback from fans. So therefor it would make sense for them to bring more Dragon Boxes. They said it themselves every release is aimed at different fans. So ill just hold out.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:11 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:my take on this is that they know whats going on from just reading the feedback from fans. So therefor it would make sense for them to bring more Dragon Boxes. They said it themselves every release is aimed at different fans. So ill just hold out.
But just because they see the demand for the release doesn't mean that it's worth the time and money for them to put the release out.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Dalesy wrote:
SupremeSSJ wrote:my take on this is that they know whats going on from just reading the feedback from fans. So therefor it would make sense for them to bring more Dragon Boxes. They said it themselves every release is aimed at different fans. So ill just hold out.
But just because they see the demand for the release doesn't mean that it's worth the time and money for them to put the release out.
true but then you when you see FUNi try to do a decent restoration on DBZ (levels sets) they fail so their only option is Dragon boxes if they want to plz everyone am I right or wrong.

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:15 pm

I was expecting them to pull the "16x9 is what the fans wanted in the survey".

Regardless, Funimation are a bunch of fucking hacks. How hard is it to scan the film masters at 1080p, attach a soundtrack and throw them out the door to distributors? THAT'S ALL WE WANT!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:18 pm

A few thoughts, in no particular order.

1.) Holy cow, what did they do to the "Zenkai Power" footage?! :shock: There's so much missing! Can we get more screencaps of that?

2.) On the other hand, I'm very pleased with how they handled the eyecatches. Those are the kind of shots I can see fans using to convince others that you don't lose any footage from the widescreen "conversion," but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

3.) That was VERY cool of them to send you guys those sketches. I actually think some characters (Goku, Vegeta, Kuririn) look a little better there than they do on the final artwork.

4.) I understand that most of this is just PR nonsense, but I'm particularly annoyed with how they dodged the "there's no legal way to get episodes 35-68 in 4:3" question. I think that one would have worked better without that last part asking for a Dragon Box re-print. That way they couldn't have just said "Sorry, no future Dragon Boxes are planned" before quickly moving on.

5.) "First off, going with widescreen over standard definition was a must."

My eye is still twitching. Possible typo or not, what's quoted above is the response we got.

6.) "We’re really pushing for fans to not pass judgment on the widescreen conversion until they’ve had a chance to actually sit down and watch an episode."

This ain't my first rodeo, sweetie. We did this exact same song and dance six years ago, and my foot got stepped on.

With all that said, it was awesome for FUNimation to open the lines of communication like that. The response wasn't what I truly wanted to hear, but I think we should all be very grateful that we had an opportunity to be listened to. This is a very, very big deal.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:19 pm

Now that people are receiving their DBZ Season 1 Blu-ray copies FUNimation will see that there's an audience for them but yet hopefully consider to release Dragon Box: Dragon Ball and Dragon Box: The Movies, they know the fans want them badly.

I just want these two Dragon Box collections and then I'll have all of Dragon Ball in 4x3 AR (oh I forgot, DB:TM is 16x9 AR) with the Japanese credits and NEPs.

On Amazon.com - DBZ Season 1 [Blu-ray] there's already 5 legit reviews so those are the ones that actually count.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Blu-r ... 59127011_3
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:20 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:
Dalesy wrote:
true but then you when you see FUNi try to do a decent restoration on DBZ (levels sets) they fail so their only option is Dragon boxes if they want to plz everyone am I right or wrong.
You seem to be discounting the option to ignore the side of the fanbase that wants a 4:3 release. As a business, that is something Funi is fully capable of. They don't have a pressing need to please everyone. All they have to do is please enough people to stay profitable. The Level sets failed either because the sales were low, or because the process to remaster the footage was too taxing on Funimation. I don't see why that failure would inspire or necessitate a re-release of the Dragon Boxes, considering the Level Sets and DBoxes are both in the realm of proper restorations for people who care about the original aesthetic of the series.
dbboxkaifan wrote:On Amazon.com - DBZ Season 1 [Blu-ray] there's already 5 legit reviews so those are the ones that actually count.
How do those reviews count any more than any other review? We don't need to see the video in motion. We have lossless screencaps that show how badly the art has been butchered.
Last edited by Dalesy on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:23 pm

I should've asked why they couldn't release this set with BOTH aspect ratios. That way the morons could have their 16x9 and eat it too whilst Funimation applies no DNR to the 4x3 option either.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:24 pm

First off, going with widescreen over standard definition was a must. We understand the concerns with what is lost during the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion
My god, that dude couldn't have been serious, they're clearly two different things. Definitely a huge facepalm moment there.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:33 pm

we'll if they want to continue to make DB the cash cow that it is they need to gift everyone. My Dragon box comment was for the series as a whole.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:35 pm

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:
First off, going with widescreen over standard definition was a must. We understand the concerns with what is lost during the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion
Erm aspect ratio has nothing to do with it being in standard or high definition; it can be both!

I personally would like to see a middle ground from the dragon boxes and level sets. I find the dboxs too bright, and the levels too dark, and these sets way too bright.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:38 pm

But why the long wait on further Dragon Boxes if Funimation is *really* listening? As high quality as the restorations are, they are getting pretty long in the tooth. Furthermore, a lot of shows are now getting Blu-ray releases (Gatchaman and the European release of Cowboy Bebop spring to mind), and there's no telling when Toei is going release a Blu-ray equivalent to the Dragon Boxes (and all it would take is a subtitle option to render Funimation irrelevant). Say what you will about Harmony Gold, but at least they released all of the original edit of Robotech in a wide enough release that no one will be unable to afford it (and the same goes for Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada).