Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:49 pm

It's a shame that Funi got to answer my question. I asked if they could just import the special effects and commentary tracks on the R2 DVDs and just subtitle them. Media Blasters did it with their DVDs of the Toho tokusatsu movies. Funi is a bigger company than Media Blasters and Toei is a lot more lenient than Toho. There's no reason why the DBZ home video releases are so bare bones.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 pm

I understand that some people do care about aspect ratio.
But to give the product 1 star without even seeing any videos/screen shots of the actual remaster is pretty, well, foolish IMO. Aspect ratio should not be the be-all and end-all of this or any other releases.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Dalesy wrote:That's downright ironic. You make a statement asking others to stop being rude, and then characterize those same people as constantly whining.
I can tell by your response that you took this personally. That's good, because you probably should. There are a couple of you that I get quite a few tweets from, read other public tweets from, and get reports here on the forum from that yearn for the worthwhile/thoughtful/engaging/polite responses, and I'm really disappointed - even after a few verbal warnings - to see you start bordering on the other side of what you're trying to advocate for.

So yes, you should be taking it personally, perhaps finding some irony in it, and working to strive for more.
Where have I been outwardly rude? Where have I disparaged another user on the forum? Where have I posted something that didn't add to the conversation?

It amazes me that you approach moderation how you do. Instead of dealing with those who agitate and are overly rude in their argumentation, you always seem to take issue with those who reply to those people. It's never the guy who starts it who gets told off, it's always the more-respected member who responds with even the slightest tinge of annoyance in their tone. It's absurd to me that you seem to hold users to different standards. If you honestly think that my replies in this thread were rude or reprehensible in some way, then I seriously can't be bothered to post here anymore. There is no point in trying to have a reasoned discussion about anything if I'm going to be the subject of moderator scrutiny simply for calling out fallacious arguments.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:It's a shame that Funi got to answer my question. I ask if they could just import the special effects and commentary tracks on the R2 DVD's and just subbed title them.
What special effects are you talking about? I don't think FUNi has ever added special effects to the show, unless you're talking about the TV edits...?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I understand that some people do care about aspect ratio.
But to give the product 1star without even seeing any videos/screen shots of the actual remaster is pretty, well foolish imo. Aspect ratio should not be the be all and end all of this or any other releases.
Some people really care for ALL of the image. Some people really care for the fact that it's not 4:3 since it's a 4:3 anime. I don't know why it's such a big deal honestly. It's not like You don't see the attacks or everything important is cut off. But to be honest this Season Blue Ray set for me is only good for Amvs editing since the colors don't really look like an moving picture colors. OR something I would want to watch. Looks good for a Poster, screenshot, or a trailer. But for watching the series. I would't see this is all that good. 3/5 for me. I don't care for aspect ratio. It's not that important and I find(No offence to anyone) that complain about it being to picky. It's not the end of the world.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 pm

What pisses me off the most is that I'm 99.9% absolutely fucking positive that everyone would prefer 4:3 releases and the only two reasons the levels didn't sell is that

1) they were expensive as fuck compared to what we were used to.
2) I had bought the show twice over the last couple years.

OF COURSE people are going to eat up this shit, it's 25 bucks for 30+ episodes. Why alienate the fan base? The people who will buy it because it's cheap don't give a fuck about the aspect ratio. I'm convinced the entirety of FUNImation's employees share a brain cell.

I'm just so mad.

I grew up on this show. I used to rush home and watch this after school with my dog and then call my friends on the phone excitedly how fucking awesome the stuff we just watched was, and what could possibly happen next. Watching DBZ reminds me so much of that time period of my life. Not having to worry about career, or bills, or my furnace breaking or shoveling my driveway. I want to remember a simpler time fondly. My wife and I plan to have kids in the next few years, and I want to be able to share the show with them if they'd like to.

And now the show is in HD, and I want to see it in HD so badly, but not like this...not like this...

Fuck.

I dunno, I really hate this cropping bullshit, guys.
Last edited by Undercooked Sausage on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:01 pm

I wonder if Funimation is going to fix the voice filter for android 19 and fix when Goku Kamehameha Cell?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:16 pm

EDIT, wrong link:
If anyone still wants some footage of the new sets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WqLhTz ... ata_player
Also, the Japanese track doesn't sound that bad.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It's a shame that Funi got to answer my question. I ask if they could just import the special effects and commentary tracks on the R2 DVD's and just subbed title them.
What special effects are you talking about? I don't think FUNi has ever added special effects to the show, unless you're talking about the TV edits...?
Maybe he meant "special features?"

Either way, the Japanese DVDs don't have commentary tracks. Bonus features of any kind are rare, even on the Dragon Boxes. They only thing I'd be interested in getting are the vintage commercials.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:29 pm

If Funimation can't even get the aspect ratio right then what hope in hell is there? Everyone in this thread trying to defend this release = lol.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:EDIT, wrong link:
The Japanese track sounds better than I expected and perhaps an improvement over the US Dragonboxes.

Seeing DBZ this clean, in HD and 16x9 AR gives me the feeling of the modern anime series which I appreciate, plus having this as an alternate option to the Dragonboxes Z is great for me.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:36 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:As for information regarding the Blu-Ray itself, I'm noticing that only for select episodes/select shots, they move the frame via pan-and-scan during the scene in an effort to get all of the action into the 16:9 framing. This is most evident in episode 4 "Piccolo's Plan" on disc 1.
As in...the framing literally slides up and down during the show?!
During certain shots, yes. When Goku and Piccolo are double-blasted by Raditz (where Piccolo loses his arm,) the shots of the two falling as the blasts destroy mountains in the background, there's a noticeble pan upward. Also, when Gohan bursts out of Raditz's space pod, they pan-and-scan upward to follow Gohan. It doesn't look like a natural camera pan though, it looks like a digital pan.
Oh my... That sounds atrocious...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I understand that some people do care about aspect ratio.
But to give the product 1 star without even seeing any videos/screen shots of the actual remaster is pretty, well, foolish IMO. Aspect ratio should not be the be-all and end-all of this or any other releases.
The aspect ratio isn't though. There are also the oversaturated colors, intense contrast, detail loss, and shots that look like water paintings that add in to the list, all of those which a lot really don't like (including myself). Personally, I'd like a 4x3 release, but if these sets were in 16x9 without the grain removal/detail loss and heavy contrast/colors, I would definitely buy this (as the Seasons 6-9 Orange Bricks have shown, which are probably the best looking late Cell/Boo Saga episodes available imo)
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:44 pm

The cropping is a problem, but let's not pretend that the remastering isn't divisive. If these were basically widescreen Level sets with the blemishes kept in the footage, at least it would have been a massive improvement over the Orange Bricks. This new release isn't necessarily better, it's just different, having an entirely new list of flaws.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:EDIT, wrong link:
If anyone wants to compare to the DBOX and Broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n09NFFXyFc

Hooray for self-advertisement... *party streamer*

It doesn't sound much different to me. If there was any restoration, it is barely listenable to me.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:50 pm

Well I'm not bothered about AR as long as we don't see faces and heads cut off. Also the cover art looks beautiful and this has surpassed the bricks as the most shelf-friendly release. And having only 4 discs per set is more convenient. Plus the special features sound tempting.
samuraix123 wrote:I wonder if Funimation is going to fix the voice filter for android 19 and fix when Goku Kamehameha Cell?
Hopefully. Super Buu also needs his filter back on. And they need to put back the old line for Goku greeting Yajirobe by his name instead of "Hey mister".

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:54 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Well I'm not bothered about AR as long as we don't see faces and heads cut off.
That sorta thing is inevitable in a cropped release.
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:55 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:I wonder if Funimation is going to fix the voice filter for android 19 and fix when Goku Kamehameha Cell?
Hopefully. Super Buu also needs his filter back on. And they need to put back the old line for Goku greeting Yajirobe by his name instead of "Hey mister".
This so fucking much. Super Boo with his filter in English dub is so fucking amazing. That Yajoribe line. What was that about anyways? Why "Mister"? if we all know that Goku knows Yajoribe....

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:56 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Why "Mister"? if we all know that Goku knows Yajoribe....
Not the dubbies who only care about DEEBEEZEE. :roll:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:00 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Why "Mister"? if we all know that Goku knows Yajoribe....
Not the dubbies who only care about DEEBEEZEE. :roll:
How about the Saiyan Arc? Where Goku had a FULL conversation with Santa...Yajoribe