Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:46 am

dan2026 wrote:Fair enough, but these Blu-ray still look the pits.

The grain has been DNRed to hell and left the picture looking frankly a mess.
And whoever decided to crop into widescreen deserves to be shot.

Her's another gem I found.
Wont post in the thread as it's kinda big.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/r ... 5048_1.png
One what basis do they deserve to be shot? There are a load of criminals out there and you are going to waste your bullets on a few people who decided to crop DBZ on the basis of previous DBZ sales(orange bricks and level sets).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:17 pm

It's clearly a figure of speech. No-one is actually advocating for the murder of business people making business decisions for their business which is selling DBZ. There's no need to take the conversation down that road.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:36 pm

What in the name of Kami is wrong now? :P http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Blu-r ... agonball+z I've been thinking about taking a break from buying these sets for a while that way I can get the Rurouni Kenshin box set but now maybe I should reconsider? :lolno:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 pm

samuraix123 wrote:What in the name of Kami is wrong now? :P http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Blu-r ... agonball+z I've been thinking about taking a break from buying these sets for a while that way I can get the Rurouni Kenshin box set but now maybe I should reconsider? :lolno:
Did we ever even find out what was wrong with season 1 that time?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:50 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Dragon Boxes still look better IMO. It's not impossible for a DVD to look better in a Blu-Ray.
Yep, I personally agree that being Blu-ray doesn't mean HD. You can still keep the grain intact and not over saturate the colors for Blu-ray. Look at the Level Sets, they did a really absolute job without screwing it up. This guy doesn't understand. If you need any more info check this review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulY2c5EPdB8
List me ten Blu-rays which aren't in high definition.

Notes:
1) Upscaled Blu-rays do not count.
2) Blank Blu-rays (BD25/BD50) to store data do not count either.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:06 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
List me ten Blu-rays which aren't in high definition.

Notes:
1) Upscaled Blu-rays do not count.
2) Blank Blu-rays (BD25/BD50) to store data do not count either.
You're misunderstanding his point.

He's saying that Blu-ray doesn't suddenly equate to better picture quality. By HD, I believe he means high fidelity or clarity.

The Season Sets, whilst HD (1920x1080), lack the same level of clarity as the standard definition Dragon Boxes because of their filtering.

There's no questioning of the resolution; he simply means how good the picture looks.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:37 pm

True but counting out upscales and blank BDs, there's a German company called "KSM GmBH" that's been releasing SD content on Blu-rays and they will be doing the same now for Naruto too.

Naruto: Complete Season One [Blu-ray]

They did this for He-Man and M.A.S.K although the guys at Blu-ray.com don't seem to care too much just because it's on Blu-ray. They're Blu-ray fans, so anything goes.

Anyhow, I hope FUNimation nor Toei Animation ever do this for Dragon Ball because when I see a series/films on Blu-ray then I'm expecting it to be in high definition as well as the rest of the customers.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
dan2026 wrote:Fair enough, but these Blu-ray still look the pits.

The grain has been DNRed to hell and left the picture looking frankly a mess.
And whoever decided to crop into widescreen deserves to be shot.

Her's another gem I found.
Wont post in the thread as it's kinda big.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/r ... 5048_1.png
One what basis do they deserve to be shot? There are a load of criminals out there and you are going to waste your bullets on a few people who decided to crop DBZ on the basis of previous DBZ sales(orange bricks and level sets).
Chill dude, it was simply a figure of speech. They should probably just be flogged. :D
I would love to see a comparison between Dragon Box/Kai Blu-rays/ DBZ Blu-rays though.
Could be difficult to set up mind.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:06 pm

dan2026 wrote: I would love to see a comparison between Dragon Box/Kai Blu-rays/ DBZ Blu-rays though.
Could be difficult to set up mind.
That's actually something I'm working on for my blog right now. I'll be sure to post it here when I'm done.

Deadtuber.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Aoi wrote:I'm curious: After the Ginyu Force arrives, does the show revert to the original late 90s dub of DBZ (Season 3 of Orange bricks). Or has there been an attempt to re-dub it so that's it's similar to the quality seen in the remastered Saiyan arc/Buu arc?
With the exception of Vegeta, Ginyu (frog mode) and Dende I think the rest of the dub is unchanged in S3, which is shame since Sean's Goku sounds pretty weak(compared with S1&2), no Idea why FUNI didn't redub him.
Edit: Of course Krillin is re-dubed too. Also some other minor characters were re-dubbed too.
Thanks man.

Honestly, I'd recommend to any fan of the English dub to buy Seasons 1-2, and skip 3. Instead, buy Kai Season 2...then buy "Z" Season 4,5,6, etc. The original FUNI dub is just embarrassing during Season 3. It finally becomes decent again at the start of the Android arc. + You with Kai, you get the definitive cut of the Frieza fight at a superb pace.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Aoi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Aoi wrote:I'm curious: After the Ginyu Force arrives, does the show revert to the original late 90s dub of DBZ (Season 3 of Orange bricks). Or has there been an attempt to re-dub it so that's it's similar to the quality seen in the remastered Saiyan arc/Buu arc?
With the exception of Vegeta, Ginyu (frog mode) and Dende I think the rest of the dub is unchanged in S3, which is shame since Sean's Goku sounds pretty weak(compared with S1&2), no Idea why FUNI didn't redub him.
Edit: Of course Krillin is re-dubed too. Also some other minor characters were re-dubbed too.
Thanks man.

Honestly, I'd recommend to any fan of the English dub to buy Seasons 1-2, and skip 3. Instead, buy Kai Season 2...then buy "Z" Season 4,5,6, etc. The original FUNI dub is just embarrassing during Season 3. It finally becomes decent again at the start of the Android arc. + You with Kai, you get the definitive cut of the Freeza fight at a superb pace.
Gohan and Frieza are also redubbed, though Gohan's only redubbed until midway through episode 79 for some reason, and Frieza's only redubbed through episode 84.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:06 am

Well, I wouldn't say the dub is embarrassing in Season 3. Sure, Frieza's dialog has a tendency to be corny, but if you can look at it in a more positive light, it's perfectly enjoyable :lol: . Personally, I think it gets a little weirder once the Cell arc starts, Vegeta's voice in particular.

I personally wouldn't want to mix with two versions of the show, since I like to stay consistent (isn't it inconsistent enough already?). But hey, that's just me and me and my mentally handicapped mind. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:55 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonball-Z-Seas ... ords=Anime

Amazon mixed up the reviews of the DVD "Season" version with this one not because it's the same but due to the fact they share the same term "Season" so it's not Amazon's fault necessarily.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:35 pm

In the "Level sets", was the Japanese dub given 5.1 HD? I'm not sure if I remember it being that or "mono". But, this is pretty much my only gripe with the new season sets: the sound. I'd love to listen to the Japanese audio in full 5.1 surround one day. I wish they had put a little more effort on that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 pm

No, the Japanese audio only exists in mono. The masters are gone (which were mono in the first place). There isn't and never will be a 5.1 mix.

Deadtuber.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:48 pm

That landscape looks anything but natural, so Krillin, Gero, and Tenshinhan look like they've been pasted on the box.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Aoi wrote:In the "Level sets", was the Japanese audio given 5.1 HD? I'm not sure if I remember it being that or "mono". But, this is pretty much my only gripe with the new season sets: the sound. I'd love to listen to the Japanese audio in full 5.1 surround one day. I wish they had put a little more effort on that.
There's no such thing as Japanese audio DD 5.1, it's all in DD 1.0 muffled for the Dragon Ball Z series (I think because that's how it was on the US Dragon Box) but there is the Broadcast Audio which is crystal clear and sounds gorgeous although unfortunately no official home release has it.

In this regard you can't really blame it on FUNimation, however, if you do then it's Toei Animation.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Aoi wrote:In the "Level sets", was the Japanese audio given 5.1 HD? I'm not sure if I remember it being that or "mono". But, this is pretty much my only gripe with the new season sets: the sound. I'd love to listen to the Japanese audio in full 5.1 surround one day. I wish they had put a little more effort on that.
There's no such thing as Japanese audio DD 5.1, it's all in DD 1.0 muffled for the Dragon Ball Z series (I think because that's how it was on the US Dragon Box) but there is the Broadcast Audio which is crystal clear and sounds gorgeous although unfortunately no official home release has it.

In this regard you can't really blame it on FUNimation, however, if you do then it's Toei Animation.
Thanks for clarifying (and to AjayLikesGaming). It's unfortunate. I doubt we'll ever get a great Japanese audio track for the series then.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Aoi wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:

Thanks for clarifying (and to AjayLikesGaming). It's unfortunate. I doubt we'll ever get a great Japanese audio track for the series then.
You will if you get Kai
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:23 pm

But the Japanese audio of Kai is 2.0 not 5.1 but yeah it does sound cleaner than the muffled audio we have.

There's also that the Japanese cast performance wasn't as spectacular as they were back in the day plus the musical changes just doesn't help anything or keep consistency (Yamamoto 001-095, Kikuchi 096-098 / 001-098, Sumitomo 099+) to make it worse the staff member in charge of it is Nagasaki. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray