Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ParkerAL
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by ParkerAL » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:33 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Do you guys think this will be the last DBZ home release for funimation?

No. Funimation is an addict.
samuraix123 wrote:Does anyone think Funimation will try to remaster the original series to match the quality on the season sets? or maybe the movies?
Dear God, I don't even want to imagine such a travesty taking place. For once, I'm glad the first half of the Dragon Ball saga isn't as popular in the United States. Otherwise Funimation might have been tempted...
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:52 am

The original Dragon Ball and GT could be next depending how things goes. It won't surprise me if we get some blu-ray boxset of DBZ Movie 1-13 and Battle of Gods into one set. Maybe market it as the Ultimate Movie set. I don't know what else they can do with DBZ Movie 1-13 since Funimation is pretty much done with the Dragon Boxes for now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:56 am

Didn't they release a box set on DVD with all the remastered movies already? haha lordy lordy what a mess it is trying to remember how many releases there is. haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:02 am

samuraix123 wrote:Does anyone think Funimation will try to remaster the original series to match the quality on the season sets? or maybe the movies?
Funimation would need to rescan Toei's film masters; the masters they have right now are, according to VegettoEX, digibeta tapes at best. We're at Toei's mercy when it comes to the original Dragon Ball.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:48 am

FatNagger69 wrote:Once the well dries up, we might get lucky & get an HD Dragon Box, or a similar release that caters more to us.
...Right guys? Anyone? No? :(

Isn't that Toei's job to remaster the dragon box footage to HD? In a matter of fact do you think that they will ever remaster DBZ into HD?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:56 am

If Funi ever does new editions of DBZ Movie 1 - 13 then it won't surprise me if they do up scales of the Dragon Boxes.
She/Her

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:00 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Isn't that Toei's job to remaster the dragon box footage to HD?
Yes, I meant to specify Dragon Box Z. I mentioned above that Funimation doesn't have the film masters.
JEFFMAN219 wrote:In a matter of fact do you think that they will ever remaster DBZ into HD?
We can only hope.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:23 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:If Funi ever does new editions of DBZ Movie 1 - 13 then it won't surprise me if they do up scales of the Dragon Boxes.
It'd still be better than FUNi's remastered DFs so I'd take it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If Funi ever does new editions of DBZ Movie 1 - 13 then it won't surprise me if they do up scales of the Dragon Boxes.
It'd still be better than FUNi's remastered DFs so I'd take it.
Even if they release the 13 movies under the Blu Season Sets' variety of remastering, it'd look better than the Double Features. Some of those looked atrocious, a few looked okay, but even those were still far too contrast-y and over saturated. Of course, I'd LOVE either a Dragon Box The Movies (or upscaled to Blu-ray) release or Level Set remastering of the movies. Oh, but I dream.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:26 pm

It's not just the picture that matters, the audio quality too.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 pm

I remember renting the Coola movies on Blu-Ray from Netflix a few years back and DBZ Movie 6 didn't look that bad from what I can remember. I hear the other ones look like utter shit. I hope Toei can do their own DBZ movies on Blu-Ray and Funi can use those HD masters for new home video releases.
She/Her

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 pm

The Blu-Rays for the Double Features look perfectly fine overall. The Coola movies are definitely two of the better-looking ones. Some of the movies have weird-contrast boosting and over-saturated colors (Movie 2 is really dark in some places, whereas Movie 8 is a bit overly bright), but overall the remastering was handled far better than their "Orange Brick" contemporaries.

The Double Features' biggest issue is that the Japanese audio track on all of the discs is really low and muffled (even more so than the older movie-singles). This was probably due to the fact they received different film masters than whatever they were using for the singles.

That's why lots of us would love for them to release the Movies' Dragon Box in some fashion: The Japanese audio is clear and pristine on that set.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:52 pm

I wonder if we will see 4K restoration soon in the near future? From what I've heard that 4k can be the next thing in home video in a few years from now. I just got a brand new big screen HD TV last year, so I'm not ready to move on. I didn't get a HD tv until 2010, a few years when HD started to catch on.
She/Her

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I wonder if we will see 4K restoration soon in the near future? From what I've heard that 4k can be the next thing in home video in a few years from now. I just got a brand new big screen HD TV last year, so I'm not ready to move on. I didn't get a HD tv until 2010, a few years when HD started to catch on.
I doubt 4K will catch on at all. 3D didn't, people are still buying DVD's and we will need upgraded TV's and 4K players, I really can't see 4K catching on at all.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:18 pm

With the advent of high DPI displays, I have no doubt that 4k will catch on.

Whether Dragon Ball will make it over to 4k is another question altogether.
Frankly, I don't see it.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm

I would take upscaled dragon box quality movies with subs over Funi's remaster.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 am

FatNagger69 wrote:With the advent of high DPI displays, I have no doubt that 4k will catch on.

Whether Dragon Ball will make it over to 4k is another question altogether.
Frankly, I don't see it.
If they can't even bother to do a proper remasterisation from start to finish I doubt they'll do with 4k, 8k or whatever-k.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:42 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:If they can't even bother to do a proper remasterisation from start to finish I doubt they'll do with 4k, 8k or whatever-k.
It can be done. Just not by Funimation.
We'd need the best film master possible from Toei, and even then, it's a *big* question mark when it comes to quality.

I'm worried that once 1080p is obsolete, we won't get anything new in regards to the original series.
I think around then they'll start to look into an FMA Brotherhood-style remake.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:38 am

Well if 480p isn't obsolete yet, I doubt 1080p will be.

Chronic_mcduffin

Post by Chronic_mcduffin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:18 pm

I don't really see 4K catching on that much. 1080p looks great, and I think the average consumers are happy with it. 4K has a much smaller market.

It could be done with Dragon Ball, but, honestly, I'm not really for it. If we got a proper 1080p remaster for the original series, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

I really don't think it'll happen.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: