Bills or Beers? Which one sounds better?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AlphaLhyan

Bills or Beers? Which one sounds better?

Post by AlphaLhyan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:45 am

I already know that Beers is the Correct translation and pun.

But for how popular Bills is in Main steam for some reason, so many people don't know the true name

My question is.... In an English Dub, which would sounds better to the fans? Bills or Beers?

PS: NOW Please remember i want your opinion based off of what would appeal to the fans not the fact about the pun because it can be translated techincally both ways, its a matter of your preference only OK thank you :D

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bills or Beers? Which one sounds better?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 am

Though I don't mind Beers, I think Bills does sound a bit better. "Beers" just sounds a little awkward to say to me for some reason...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:47 am

I despise both.

Birus or Beerus would be better, otherwise you're losing the Virus part of the pun.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:49 am

Birus or Beerus, yup, other two are like "Jeice" or "Krillin", why even bother?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:25 am

I can say "Beerus". You can say "Beerus". Anyone can say "Beerus".

Preserves the original Japanese pronunciation, preserves BOTH puns...

Problem solved!

(This is not an "In-Universe" question, so I'm moving it to "General Franchise Discussion".)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 am

I liked Bills originally but now prefer Beers it just rolls off the tongue better. Bills sounds too flat now...

I thought the Birus lines comes from the original script and Toriyama changed it to Beers?
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:51 am

DBZ Mick wrote:I thought the Birus lines comes from the original script and Toriyama changed it to Beers?
The name was not changed. It was always ビルス (remember: we're talking about a name in Japanese, not a romanization/transliteration of such).

What Toriyama says is that he took the name as-is from the outline, but thought it was a pun on something else (beer instead of virus, which is what Yūsuke Watanabe originally intended), and then gave Whis the name based on "whiskey".

All of this is outlined under the "Name Puns" section of our "Battle of Gods" page.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:55 am

I am 100% all about Beerus.
But as long as there's something in place on the forum, like there is for Freeza's dub spelling and Mr Satan's dub name, to auto-edit everytime someone writes "Bills", any other spelling will do :P
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:55 am

VegettoEX wrote:
DBZ Mick wrote:I thought the Birus lines comes from the original script and Toriyama changed it to Beers?
The name was not changed. It was always ビルス (remember: we're talking about a name in Japanese, not a romanization/transliteration of such).

What Toriyama says is that he took the name as-is from the outline, but thought it was a pun on something else (beer instead of virus, which is what Yūsuke Watanabe originally intended), and then gave Whis the name based on "whiskey".

All of this is outlined under the "Name Puns" section of our "Battle of Gods" page.
Yeah, sorry, that's what I was thinking- the beer instead of virus pun.
:)
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 am

It is Billus for me. Because Beers is like plural for beer and it sounds weird to me. I really don't know, I think that the name is bad even in Japanese. Or call him Villus?
As Vegeta is Bejita.... really, these transcriptions are pain in the ass. I like Whis' name, but Billus is weird in any form.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:17 am

Rukura wrote:I am 100% all about Beerus.
But as long as there's something in place on the forum, like there is for Freeza's dub spelling and Mr Satan's dub name, to auto-edit everytime someone writes "Bills", any other spelling will do :P
"Bills" is a regular word in English, though, and has plenty of legitimate uses in other bits of context. Not gonna filter that.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 am

Beerus sounds like a silly nickname for alcohol addiction, "you've had like 50 beers this week I think you've caught the beerus."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:36 am

"Beers" or "Beerus." Doesn't matter if anything else sounds better, since these are the most correct ways to go about the name. Either one preserves the (now) primary pun on "beer," while the second one has the added bonus of including a nod to the original one on "virus." Hopefully if/when FUNimation gets to dub the movie and settle on a name for the character (or even sooner, when he appears in Battle of Z), they'll go with "Beers" or "Beerus," and the fandom at large's use of "Bills" will all but disappear.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:59 am

Beers for being easier to type, Beerus for better preserving both puns.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:05 am

They both sound bad. One's bills and the other's beers. What an odd name.

Could've called him Liquor then.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:10 am

I like that Toriyama usually tries to stick with certain pun themes for races or families, but the idea didn't really pan out for the whole DB universe as best it could have. We ended up with things like the Tsufruians being named after fruit, but over half of Freeza's various minions are the ones with the actual fruit names.

I acknowledge that his proper pun is Beers, but I still prefer the Birus spelling for now because I like to keep it in my head that Birus can have a destructive virus theme for his race and perhaps the Shinjin could have an alcohol or drink theme for theirs (because until told otherwise, I'm assuming Whis is a Shinjin).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:11 am

Birus - because I feel that's the most comfortable English-written spelling of the Japanese phonetic pronunciation whilst also being the most faithful to the English-language origin of the name pun.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Before we learned the name's origin, I was, and still am in a small way, happy with "BILLS". I like the way double letter words look, and compared to all the name puns flying around DB, it was fun to see a relatively simpler name; it's also why I like Mr. Satan's "MARK".

Alas, I'm going with "BEERS" as that's 1) Toei's official name for him, and 2) Toriyama's invention. All the other names, "BEERUS", "BIRUS", "BILUS", etc. just look odd to me and sound odd to say. I get that there was a virus pun going on, but that aspect of the movie seems to have been scrapped with Lizard!Beers, infected Saiyans, and caped Super Saiyan God.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Dolciano

Post by Dolciano » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:23 pm

While I like Beers, I'm so used to Bills that it'll be difficult to switch to the other name.

If the movie were to be dubbed, I can see them choosing either. They may use Beers to match the theme with Whis. But, it could also be possible that they'll try and make his name sound more like, "Virus" (Birus).

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Dolciano wrote:But, it could also be possible that they'll try and make his name sound more like, "Virus" (Birus).
Oh jeez, that would annoy me so much!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki