Sean Schemmel Battle of Z SS God Goku voice

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Sean Schemmel Battle of Z SS God Goku voice

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:04 am

Edit
First off, I am a huge fan of Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel. That being said, based on this clip from Battle of Z, http://youtu.be/W2BYOhqPbsk?t=2m33s, I wanted to know what y'all thought about Sean Schemmel's decision for how his Goku will sound when he is in the form of Super Saiyan God. :|

Masako is Goku and she performed the role as though Goku's voice essentially stayed the same as it is in base form rather than how she makes it more tough in other forms like Super Saiyan, SS2 and SS3. Sean Schemmel also does the same thing but usually makes his voice a bit deeper too and generally it works (at least as SS3 in the old Z dub not sure what Kai is gonna be like :roll: ). [NOTE: yes Masako also sounds tougher when fighting but it is essentially Base Goku tough and not on the level of SS3 tough]

But as SS God Goku still has his base form design, so I love how Masako went with the base form voice. Sean Schemmel on the other hand sounds like he's trying to be Superman :wtf: I'm not sure why but the spazzy Goku that Masako encapsulates and Sean Schemmel used to perform all but seems devoid in his newer performances. English Goku keeps sounding more and more like an adult fatherly figure than well Goku.

Granted this is but one line from a video game ad so if funimation does ever dub the film maybe he will perform the role more like how Masako does it. SO I want to know what you think: do you like it, hate it, don't care?

I myself am a bit annoyed by it because I know Sean Schemmel has mad respect for Masako, anybody who went to Animazement or read Derek Padula's entries of the convention at http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/ knows that. So it makes me think no one working on that ad bothered to see the film before Sean Schemmel did that performance.

As much as I was hoping Sean Schemmel and Funimation would dub the new movie and video game related stuff with the same spazzy lighthearted Goku that is well Goku, I think that is long gone in favor of a more serious performance which too me is the antithesis of Son Goku.
Last edited by Kakarot88 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Re: Sean Schemmel Battle of Z SS God Goku voice

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 am

It's been a while since I heard him play Goku.

I don't like it. Especially with how slender and somewhat feminine Super Saiyan God Goku is, that voice is wrong.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 am

The Time Traveller wrote:I don't like it. Especially with how slender and somewhat feminine Super Saiyan God Goku is, that voice is wrong.
That's another thing! Super Saiyan God is more leaned out, if Goku was more swole then maybe just maybe it could work, but not here. Goku looks like he's been doing way too much cardio and needs to get back to power lifting so a deeper voice again just does not work to me. His build is more of how he looked (but leaner) at the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi, so if anything that voice Sean does for his Goku could work better than his new Captain Superman God Goku. Good observation :thumbup:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Without saying what my feelings on this voice are, it's important to note that just because he used this voice in the video game doesn't necessarily mean that that's the voice he'll use for the movie proper.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:23 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Without saying what my feelings on this voice are, it's important to note that just because he used this voice in the video game doesn't necessarily mean that that's the voice he'll use for the movie proper.
I said that in my original post and how I hope that is not what he does in the movie if it gets dubbed.

How I enjoy the anime:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I don't know, I rather like it. Despite being slender, him being powerful, and a voice that matches the power and "God" status over the looks is a good idea.

It's a reverse Mike Tyson, lol. Or, you could say it's like Kaio-Sama in Japanese. A voice that doesn't fit the body, but fits the role.

There's an irony in there somewhere.

I don't see how you think Sean's modern Goku performance is too serious. His Goku is light hearted and goofy when the time calls for it...but also gets serious where the situation calls for it. He does both quite well, now more than ever.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:29 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:First off, I am a huge fan of Masako Nozawa and Sean Schemmel. That being said, based on this clip from Battle of Z, http://youtu.be/W2BYOhqPbsk?t=2m33s, I wanted to know what y'all thought about Schemmel's decision for how his Goku will sound when he is in the form of Super Saiyan God. :|
Schemmel's a professional voice actor who had done an excellent job in portraying Goku in Kai. I was also impressed with how he handled Goku in the Super Saiyan form. So, whatever Schemmel thought would be good for Goku in the Super Saiyan God, I'm fine with it. It doesn't matter as long as it sounds believable. But it's only a video game. I'm sure he's playing around with his ideas on how to portray SSJ God. Whatever he decided how the voice will be for the form in the movie, it will be like that from now on.

Kakarot88 wrote:Masako is Goku and she performed the role as though Goku's voice essentially stayed the same as it is in base form rather than how she makes it more tough in other forms like Super Saiyan, SS2 and SS3. Schemmel also does the same thing but usually makes his voice a bit deeper too and generally it works (at least as SS3 in the old Z dub not sure what Kai is gonna be like.) [NOTE: Yes, Masako also sounds tougher when fighting but it is essentially Base Goku tough and not on the level of SS3 tough
That's exactly why I like Schemmel a lot. He makes a great Goku. Even his Super Saiyan 4 voice is great. Nowadays I prefer him over Kelamis as an official English Goku. I will be looking forward to how he handles Vegetto in Kai.
I myself am a bit annoyed by it because I know Schemmel has mad respect for Masako, anybody who went to Animazement or read Derek Padula's entries of the convention at http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/ knows that. So it makes me think no one working on that ad bothered to see the film before Schemmel did that performance.

I don't know if he watched the movie or not, so I don't know if he had listened to Masako's performance in Goku's new form. Toei hadn't even handed FUNimation the masters yet, so they wouldn't be able to watch it and get the idea. Could they have went and bought DVD? Maybe. But this is just pure speculation, so I wouldn't go far as to make a judgment based on our observation.

On other note, you used Schemmel's first name. If you aren't friend with him, please use his last name out of formality. We don't use Toriyama's first name when addressing him, so it should be same with Schemmel.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:00 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:On other note, you used Masako's last name to address her, but you used Schemmel's first name. If you aren't friend with him, please use his last name out of formality. We don't use Toriyama's first name when addressing him, so it should be same with Schemmel.
Met them both and Sean said use his first name so I guess that puts us on a first name basis lol
Last edited by Kakarot88 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How I enjoy the anime:

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Why are you posting huge pictures?

Even if I met him and him telling me it's fine to use his first name, I would still address him using his last name in the forum or at a convention (not that I will go to one.) I've said in my previous post, you used Schemmel's first name, so I'm asking what the reason is for that.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:28 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Why are you posting huge pictures?
How do I post smaller pictures? I'd really love to be able to do that instead!
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Even if I met him and him telling me it's fine to use his first name, I would still address him using his last name in the forum or at a convention (not that I will go to one.) I've said in my previous post, you used Masako's last name, but you used Schemmel's first name, so I'm asking what the reason is for that.
Cuz she never said "please call me Sean," why do you care?

How I enjoy the anime:

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Why are you posting huge pictures?
How do I post smaller pictures? I'd really love to be able to do that instead!
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Even if I met him and him telling me it's fine to use his first name, I would still address him using his last name in the forum or at a convention (not that I will go to one.) I've said in my previous post, you used Masako's last name, but you used Schemmel's first name, so I'm asking what the reason is for that.
Either resize them with paint, or just post them in spoiler tabs.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:37 pm

The spoiler tab thing works but I wish I could resize stuff differently.

I've also seen people link stuff where the word is a link how do you do that?

How I enjoy the anime:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:The spoiler tab thing works but I wish I could resize stuff differently.

I've also seen people link stuff where the word is a link how do you do that?

Ok highlight the words you want to be linked and press the url button. In the first url tab you press the = button and enter/paste the link. That's all.

So it should be like this

*insert Text*
It's a respect thing. Hence why we call Akira Toriyama...Toriyama, Mr.At, or we say his full name. Never do we say(Unless we're newbies still learning how things work on here) "Akira" by itself. Most of the time I just say Mr or Ms. and then say their first name. As it still respectful. Like say Mr. Sean.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:54 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:It's a respect thing. Hence why we call Akira Toriyama...Toriyama, Mr.At, or we say his full name. Never do we say(Unless we're newbies still learning how things work on here) "Akira" by itself. Most of the time I just say Mr or Ms. and then say their first name. As it still respectful. Like say Mr. Sean.
Thanks for the info next link I have I will def try that out! :thumbup:

I can respect that, I went in and added "Schemmel" in front of all the times I placed"Sean" hopefully now the conversation can get back on topic rather than any one thinking I don't respect the man. I think he is an awesome person and love him as Goku. He's my favorite English Goku and I made this thread because this is one of the few times I was flabbergast by his performance. Sure in the original dub he said un-Goku lines but he still said them like Goku, and here his SS God performance seems very un-Goku, but that's just my opinion.

How I enjoy the anime:

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm not a fan of Sean's voice for SSJ God. Look at how relaxed SSJ God looks. He should not have a voice deeper than SSJ4 :problem: .
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:57 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I'm not a fan of Sean's voice for SSJ God. Look at how relaxed SSJ God looks. He should not have a voice deeper than SSJ4 :problem: .
Well he is using a tone of voice you hear him use for fights. Id say wait until we see a normal cutscene with him just standing still and talking.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:15 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I'm not a fan of Sean's voice for SSJ God. Look at how relaxed SSJ God looks. He should not have a voice deeper than SSJ4 :problem: .
Perhaps it was trailer only and he wanted to get some fans pumped up. After all most trailers with Mr. Sean's voice(Goku) have a deep voice and when the product comes out the voice is goofy like. Also Mr.Sean has a fighting voice and a regular voice. Notice how when SSJ3 is just standing around Goku sounds like base but when fighting, powering up, or about to fight he sounds deep.

Examples:
When Kid Boo was mocking Vegeta and Goku. Goku SSJ3 had base voice.
When Goku first went SSJ3 he had a deep voice

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Even so, he shouldn't have a deep voice. It had better be for Battle of Z only.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Even so, he shouldn't have a deep voice. It had better be for Battle of Z only.
He most likely don't. He once again was just getting fans pumped for the new video game and the form SSG in ENGLISH. Since a lot of english dub people dislike the JPN audio. We'll see once the game comes out. But I doubt his SSG voice will be deep. UNLESS he is saying KA ME HA ME HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:57 pm

A video game dub is not a movie dub.

Hopefully the ADR director will have the sense to tell Schemmel to cut that crap out when he steps up to the mic for the movie dub. Super Saiyan God Goku shouldn't sound any different than Goku always does.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?