"Pretty" Dragonball Animations

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:25 pm

I actually think the Cell Games Anime artwork was pretty bad. If you side-by-side it with the Manga, there simply is no comparison. And this isn't the normal case of the Manga having better detail. You can see the artists didn't even seem to try that hard most of the time.

Sigh...

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:02 am

You've gotta be kidding me. At least the animation in episodes 184 and 191 (both from the Cell Games) are nothing short of gorgeous. The other eps could use improvement, though.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:01 am

One of my favorite animations is on episode 91 of Dragon Ball Z, when is on the water and has a dream with Earth being destroyed by Freeza, and then he sees all his friends.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:46 am

Yea, I agree with the Cell saga having loads of crap episodes, well the drawings anyway. Some are so bad that I wish I personally drew the cells.

Let me show you...

Ok, episode 166: Faith in a Boy has the artist we all know too well, the one who does less shading, I think he's style of eyes make the characters always look funny, and he has a basic style, although I've learned to accept the style, I stil think some of he's art is unacceptable. He always does the bodies fatter than the others.

The next episode , Gohan's Plea is done by the good artist, you can tell the difference in the 2 Goku pics. He has the neat style that is similar to Toriyama's. This guy takes pride in his work and his episodes come out looking like gold.

On to the nex ep and it's Android Explosion, and it's the triangle crap geeza. This guy has to be the worst, he's bodies can be better than no shading's at times, but this guy shouldn't have even done episodes.

Cell Juniors attack is done by (what I belived) one of the best artists, he has he's own style that differs from Toriyama in a sense of sharpness, and he has a distinct way of doing the faces. Hedoes the hair awesome in my opinion. I like this artist. He does the bodies slimmer at the waist and pays more attention to detail.

This image stays faithful To Toriyama's style.

This one shows off the style this man has.

The next one is again done by a good artist, I think this one is known as the best one for he's Toriyama style.

Cell's Bag of Tricks was done by no shading, you can see the fat body. I thing this guy tries to keep the style like Toriyama's old style but fails, it looks sloppy.

You can see the way he does the mouth...
Last edited by Bejiita on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:56 am

Haha. I rather enjoyed that! Very nice.

If you would, could you do "Cell's bag of Tricks" as well?

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:27 pm

Another beautiful episode I'll mention is "Vegeta's Pride". We see glimpses of Super Saiyan throughout the Great Saiyaman and World Tournament sagas, but I think this is the first time since the Cell Games that Super Saiyan is drawn and shaded with such unbelievable care . . . as if it were meant to somehow convey that "this" is the episode where something key is about to happen and the strongest are going to fight.

Some of the expressions here are awesome. I'm sure we all remember that evil look on Vegeta's face just after he blew that second hole in the stadium (waving hair and all). By the same token, the cold stare in Goku's eyes afterward (when he wants the Kaioshin to get out of the way) is good at masking his intentions; I still can't tell whether or not he was bluffing there, which I suppose would be the point.

The lighting and effects were some of the best I've seen. I'm thinking of things like the explosion of raw energy when Vegeta attempts to shut up the voice in his head, the collapse of the desert background behind Vegeta as he stops to catch his breath and the complex animation of the dust kicking up around the two Saiyan auras as the narrator brings us away.

Something noteworthy: In DBZ, SSJ2 Goku is distinguishable beginning specifically with "Vegeta's Pride" and from that point on. Goku's Super Saiyan hair is clearly seen to be different for the first time (if only for an instant) towards the end of that episode, which I think shows consciousness of the manga and a respectable effort on the part of the animators.

Animation flip-flop: Just one episode later ("The Long Awaited Fight"), the difference appears to vanish completely, but then the SSJ2 "change" is suddenly apparent again one more episode later while Vegeta explains his motivations. Perhaps Toei informed one studio and not the other?

Not as pretty: When we're first introduced to Super Saiyan 3 (which is coincidentally the name of the episode), I got the impression that whichever studio was responsible for that episode was pushing themselves to the absolute limit in the beginning, and then gradually "let go" of the quality as the episode began to unfold. The animation wasn't necessarily bad, but it did appear to go south in terms of effort and detail towards the end . . . or is that just me?

(Li'l Lemmy, who prattles on about useless things.)

EDIT: Bejita, I think the studio who did "Vegeta's Pride" is the one in that last illustation. (How helpful!) That's "Awakening," isn't it? I just sat down and watched the two episodes back to back, and the style looks similar in places.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:05 pm

Vegeta's Pride was done by the best DBZ artist. He also did Super Buu Vs Gohan (the first fight), and Gotenks' first appearance. And many more great others.

About the comment I made about I wish I personally drew some cels, I thought I'd back my claim and show you my version of this picture:

I like detailing the hair more, and I think he made the hair come out a bit to far on the right. And the dimple that's really close to the mouth makes it look un-DBZ to me for some reason, later drawings have the dimple not touching the mouth.
My DB Fan manga:
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:36 pm

Wow, Bejiita, that's great. Way better than the original cel. :) I think you would've made a great animator. You think you could maybe color that?

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:00 pm

Nice pic Bejita, which reminds me; any more of that manga o' yours on the way or have you given up? I was really looking forward to someone elses take on the whole "Trunks is evil" thing.
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:46 pm

Son_Gokou wrote:Wow, Bejiita, that's great. Way better than the original cel. :) I think you would've made a great animator. You think you could maybe color that?
I am not really good at colouring, it would be ok for somebody else to do it, some one good at it. Glad you think I'd make a great animator. 8)

I like drawing basic looking cels because I can make some look better, like Toriyama's new style, the style he uses for the Kanzenban covers. I try to mimic that. Especially doing the hair the 3D way.

askani son, I drew the next page yesterday, and I might just carry it on. And Trunks isn't evil, just to clear that up. :wink:
My DB Fan manga:

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 am

I think what Bejiita meant by "A New Threat" at the end of his fan manga was that Trunks was coming to ANNOUNCE another baddie, not that Trunks WAS the baddie :)
But that's what I'm talking about!! The guy who animated Episode 184, 191, and the first ep of the Anoyoichi Budokai (when Goku and Paikuhan face Freeza and the others in Hell), is a FANTASTIC animator, and even though his style differs just a bit from Toriyama, I daresay I like it better. I could only dream of being able to draw so good...
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:38 pm

kenisu3000, you are right, Trunks is telling them abouta new threat. Be sure to find plot holes if I carry this thing on.

And I think the best animator is the one who did the episode where Vegeta battles Recoom. He also does the episode where Goku kills Buu.
My DB Fan manga:

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:30 am

Anyway...back on topic.

My favorite animation has to be from "Vegeta's Pride". It followed the manga panels really well, and in some parts, drew some parts in my opinion, better, than how Toriyama-san draw them..Maybe because the way the anime is drawn in this episode is drawn sort of the way my drawing style is.

Here I have some comparisons of the manga and anime. I scanned the manga myself, and took the screencaps from a site I like to go to for anime screenshots (http://www.dragonball-paradijs.com).

Image Image

These two images..I seem to like the animation better than how the manga is drawn. You decide:

Image Image

While I'm at it, I might as well show some images from the manga that were pretty much used verbatim in other DB products, such as..DBZ: Sparking! and the Bandai UFS figures.

Image Image

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:18 am

It's only natural some images from the manga won't look as up to date or as polished as those from the anime. This is why some people say this guy is better than Toriyama, I disagree, but I do see how those bottom 2 Goku's are better than Toryiyama's, it's the left eye, some pictures Toiryama sais himself that he rushed, so some will look rushed, the animator can then take advantage and improve the image.
My DB Fan manga:

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Bejita wrote:It's only natural some images from the manga won't look as up to date or as polished as those from the anime. This is why some people say this guy is better than Toriyama, I disagree, but I do see how those bottom 2 Goku's are better than Toryiyama's, it's the left eye, some pictures Toiryama sais himself that he rushed, so some will look rushed, the animator can then take advantage and improve the image.
Wow. I never realized just how high a level of similiarity there could be between the two worlds . . . though that would of course be due to my I-don't-own-any-manga handicap. Does the anime always make such an honest attempt to copy directly from the manga?

Animation stuff: I often find myself wondering just who it was at Toei that was responsible for deciding which episodes/events get handed off to which artists, and if the decisions were conscious of the "value" of the episode's content . . . for example, I wonder if someone at the studio understood that, say, the episode with Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation was next in line to be animated and consequently handed it off to one of the better animation teams because of the significance of the scene, as opposed to giving it to a team of lesser quality (like the so-called "triangle guy").

(Li'l Lemmy, who ponders the insignificant.)
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:48 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Bejita wrote:It's only natural some images from the manga won't look as up to date or as polished as those from the anime. This is why some people say this guy is better than Toriyama, I disagree, but I do see how those bottom 2 Goku's are better than Toryiyama's, it's the left eye, some pictures Toiryama sais himself that he rushed, so some will look rushed, the animator can then take advantage and improve the image.
Wow. I never realized just how high a level of similiarity there could be between the two worlds . . . though that would of course be due to my I-don't-own-any-manga handicap. Does the anime always make such an honest attempt to copy directly from the manga?

Animation stuff: I often find myself wondering just who it was at Toei that was responsible for deciding which episodes/events get handed off to which artists, and if the decisions were conscious of the "value" of the episode's content . . . for example, I wonder if someone at the studio understood that, say, the episode with Gohan's first SSJ2 transformation was next in line to be animated and consequently handed it off to one of the better animation teams because of the significance of the scene, as opposed to giving it to a team of lesser quality (like the so-called "triangle guy").

(Li'l Lemmy, who ponders the insignificant.)
Literally every scene from the manga is in the anime, drawn near enough identical. It's just some artists are better.
My DB Fan manga:

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:43 am

I agree on the Babidi Saga. That Saga was done so perfectly as far as artwork goes. I love it.

I really enjoy in the Babidi Saga when there's some close up intense fighting rapid as SSJ2. Here's an example of what I enjoy.

[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:03 am

Pretty much the whole Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight was brilliant. Great artwork, great choreography, just so much awesomeness.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:40 pm

*nods* I'd say the Majin Vegeta Vs.Goku fight was probably the best animated fight, pretty much flawless.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:44 pm

Personally I thought the SSJ2 Goku VS Kid Buu fight was the best animated. If I could find some screenshots I would show you, but sadly I'm too lazy too find any and too poor to get some.