How would Dragon Ball be if Toriyama planned ahead?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

How would Dragon Ball be if Toriyama planned ahead?

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:17 am

I was wondering how do you think the series would be if Toryiama planned it out? Too be honest; I cant really see it being any different so I'm asking what do you guys think.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Re: How would Dragon Ball be if Toriyama planned ahead?

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 am

Kid Buu wrote:I was wondering how do you think the series would be if Toryiama planned it out? Too be honest; I cant really see it being any different so I'm asking what do you guys think.
It would've been short and would probably have ended after Pilaf, I reckon. I don't think Toriyama would've been ambitious enough to plan out what Dragon Ball became. The series just kinda grew by itself.

EDIT: Here we go:
Bulma was Tripitaka, Oolong was Zhu Bajie, and Yamcha was Sha Wujing. I initially thought that I’d end it after they finished collecting the Dragon Balls
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/dragonballs/

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:12 pm

There'd be something with Goku being a Saiyan instead of a kid with a tail, from AT's interview about BoG.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:18 pm

It might have actually been good.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:19 pm

It's possible that things could have ended on a shorted note if he did. I would imagine most of us would never be fans if he ended after Pilaf and Dragon Ball would fallen into obscurity.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:It's possible that things could have ended on a shorted note if he did. I would imagine most of us would never be fans if he ended after Pilaf and Dragon Ball would fallen into obscurity.
Which would no doubt have an amazingly devastating effect in the long run too. Without Dragon Ball having gone on exactly as long as it had, then there's a very good chance there'd be no Naruto or One Piece, hell maybe not even Bleach, or FMA, or Fairy Tail, or the like. It would also have a huge effect on anime in general, especially in the US.

And sadly, I think that is the case. If Toriyama had planned it out, it probably would have ended early on at some point. He really doesn't seem to be the type of creator that thrives from overplanning things, it's even likely that he would have lost interest completely if he'd done that.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Toriyama said he will end Dragon Ball in 10 volumes. Don't know why he changed his mind, probably because of popularity.
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:30 pm

While a bit more future planning would've been nice for clearing up some of the inconsistencies here and there, I think for the type of writer Toriyama was, Dragon Ball benefited from his write-as-he-went-along almost free flowing style. Sure there's a few bumps in the road, but I think it's actually a surprisingly coherent story for the most part, given its length and the style with which the author wrote it.

I just have a feeling that Dragon Ball would be a whole lot less interesting if, in Toriyama's hands, it was more planned out in advanced, even if it would most likely result in a better written story.

In the hands of another author maybe? Sure it could be better overall, but then it would cease to be Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Jodaku on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:It's possible that things could have ended on a shorted note if he did. I would imagine most of us would never be fans if he ended after Pilaf and Dragon Ball would fallen into obscurity.
Which would no doubt have an amazingly devastating effect in the long run too. Without Dragon Ball having gone on exactly as long as it had, then there's a very good chance there'd be no Naruto or One Piece, hell maybe not even Bleach, or FMA, or Fairy Tail, or the like. It would also have a huge effect on anime in general, especially in the US.
I almost forgot to mention that. DBZ seem to help the growth of anime in the US during the late 90's and help Toonami became more popular. We would still have anime, but maybe not as much. It would be like how anime was in the 60's - 80's where you had shows like Astro Boy, Space Racer, Kimba the White Lion, Gignator, Battle of the Planets, Robotech, Voltron, Star Blazers, Mazinger Z and a few others. The market for anime in the 90's and early 2000's won't be the same without DBZ and Sailor Moon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:34 pm

It probably would've either been very short and had stayed close to the look and motifs of the first arc. Basically, just more "early Dragon Ball". Toriyama went in all those crazy directions because he was writing it off the seat of his pants and used whatever inspiration was current to him.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

helsinkirocks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by helsinkirocks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Now I want Oda to just re-write Dragon Ball.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Didn't Toriyama say something that, if he had been the type to plan things out, he would've made an attempt to at least foreshadow that Goku was an alien?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:17 pm

helsinkirocks wrote:Now I want Oda to just re-write Dragon Ball.
If he did, then let's hope he wouldn't be the one drawing it.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 pm

A structured re-write of Dragon Ball that actually sticks to the same core story with the same arcs and whatnot, but just more robust with extra plot threads and whatnot due to the planning, is something I'd be really, really, really, really interested in reading.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:It might have actually been good.
I really don't think this is the board for you.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:46 pm

Fizzer wrote:
A structured re-write of Dragon Ball that actually sticks to the same core story with the same arcs and whatnot, but just more robust with extra plot threads and whatnot due to the planning, is something I'd be really, really, really, really interested in reading.
I don't think there needs to be extra plot threads, just more coherent threads.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:18 am

I remember reading that Toriyama really only started the whole writing it as he went along with Namek.. and that he at least had a little bit of an idea where it was going before that.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:04 am

The Tori-bot wrote:
I really don't think this is the board for you.
Why do you think that?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 am

JamesOwnz wrote:I remember reading that Toriyama really only started the whole writing it as he went along with Namek.. and that he at least had a little bit of an idea where it was going before that.
That would explain a lot. Namek, or at least after Namek, is where the writing really goes downhill for me. The series fell into Deus Ex Machina Central and became one huge dick-measuring contest after that.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:15 am

It already is good.

It probably would have less plotholes. Otherwise I don't think it would be very different.