5 best fights in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

5 best fights in Dragon Ball

Post by Mystic Buu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:01 am

1. Goku vs King Piccolo
2. Goku vs Freeza
3. Piccolo vs Android #17
4. Majin Vegeta vs Majin Buu
5. Goku vs Vegeta (first fight)

Those are my 5 best fights. Goku vs King Piccolo because he was first serious villain. Goku vs Freeza, (because it is a/the) battle for revenge of the Saiyans, (and because) Goku is Super Saiyan. Piccolo vs #17 was almost (an) even fight and Piccolo really tests his new power. Majin Vegeta vs Majin Buu (because of) Vegeta's change of heart and sacrifice. And Goku vs Vegeta (is a) good old classic fight. What are your 5 best fights in Dragon Ball?

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: 5 best fights in Dragon Ball

Post by DonZ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:09 am

Goku vs Vegeta (first fight)
Goku vs Piccolo 23rd tenkaichi budokai
Goku vs Freeza
Goku vs Tienshinhan (the two fights)
Goku vs Cell

Goku vs Vegeta, this fight was epic, the strategy that Kuririn, Gohan and Yajirobe perform, now that's what i call teamwork!
Goku vs Piccolo, it was a mix between the new and old style of DB fights.
Goku vs Freeza, after Goku turned SSJ it became one-sided. but before that it was totally amazing.
Goku vs Tienshinhan, i like how Tien was the first serious villain -if we can call him that- in the series. and the fight was overall enjoyable. especially the first one.
Goku vs Cell, it was one of the best hand-to-hand combat fights i've ever seen.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Hmmm lets see;
SS2 Goku vs Majin Vegeta
Vegetto vs Super Buu (Buuhan)
Goku vs Freeza
Goku and Vegeta vs Kid Buu
Goku vs Vegeta (Saiyan saga).

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:27 pm

I'll give my reasons when I'm at home, but for now:

5.) Goku Vs. Piccolo Daimao
4.) Krilllin Vs. Chiaotzu
3.) Yamcha Vs. The Invisible Man
2.) Gotenks Vs Super Buu
1.) Goku Vs. Vegeta
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:33 pm

1/ Goku and the gang vs. Vegeta
2/ Goku vs. Piccolo Jr.
3/ Vegeta vs. Reacoom
4/ Gohan vs. Gotenks Buu
5/ Goku vs. Freeza

Essentially, I just love fights in which you see the protagonist struggle to just survive the battle, let alone win it.
Goku vs. Vegeta was one of the first high-stakes battles, only preceded by the fight with Piccolo Sr. Both of the fighters quickly take drastic measures after they find themselves outmatched, and eventually, Goku needs characters that will be brushed aside all subsequent arcs, aside from Gohan. We also get a glimpse of how durable Vegeta is; it took one the most brutal beatings in the manga, an all-or-nothing Kamehameha, the life force of the entire planet, a sword slash to the back, and a 150-feet tall monkey crushing him to finally get him to give up.
The 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai reaches its climax with Goku finally winning the tournament, which is very satisfying after he'd only scratched the surface of victory in his previous two attempts. That, and well, lots of original ideas like the feet Kamehameha.
Vegeta and Reacoom's fight just looks like a contest to see who can take more punishment. Again, Vegeta's endurance is put to the test. To demonstrate the futility of what seemed like a very effective assault, you see Reacoom tank a Final Flash-like attack and wreck the shit out of a desperate Vegeta.
Gohan vs. Buutenks... I just enjoyed seeing Gohan being tossed around and toyed with after he acted all high-and-mighty. :lol:
Similar to Vegeta, Freeza is pretty damn durable. That's part of the reason it's just number 5, since the revelation of his survival kind of undermines the significance of Goku's victory, but it's still a great fight nonetheless what with its peasant vs. nobility vibe
Last edited by TheOverlyMadHatter on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:32 pm

1. Everybody vs Vegeta
2. Buutenks vs Gohan (anime)
3. Goku vs Cell
4. Goku vs Piccolo
5. Monster Zarbon vs Vegeta, round 2 (short and brutal)
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:40 pm

1. Goku vs Piccolo (both fights)
2. Goku vs Freeza (entire fight)
3. SSJ2 Goku vs Majin Vegeta
4. Goku and the Gang vs Vegeta
5. Goku vs Tienshinhan (both fights)

So yeah, Goku fuckin rocks
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:03 pm

1.Goku vs Majin Vegeta- It's not the best fight, because of any technique, but the emotion that I had built up towards it. It's when Goku and Vegeta were at their most prideful. Although it could use better pacing, being that the techniques weren't varied too much. I got bored in parts, because of this. But things like that head butt, Vegeta slapping Goku, and hearing their admiration for each other's strengths was so emotional.
2. Goku vs Piccolo- This might be my favorite from a visual standpoint. It's so brutal and pushes Goku to his limits, but because of this, we see some awesome strategies. I love how Goku kicks the crap out of Piccolo from the inside. It seemed almost impossible, but somehow he pulled through.
3. Goku vs Freeza- Super Saiyan changes this from the most boring cannon saga in the series to one of my favorites. It's awe-inspiring.
4. Goku vs Cell- Probably the best choreographed and tightly designed fight, but it was just the warm up to Gohan's fight, so I forget it a lot, being that I knew it wasn't a high stake fight, with Goku being the first to fight.
5. Vegeta vs Boo- Final Atonement is my favorite moment in all TV, so anything that proceeded it was awesome. It's mainly just Vegeta beating on Boo, which I love, but being more one sided, it can't be higher for me.

petronka101

Post by petronka101 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 am

My personal favorites, not necessarily the best fights on the series, but the ones I enjoyed the most:

1. Goku vs Freeza – This fight was waaay longer than it should’ve been IMO but the first SSJ transformation made it worth it.
2. Majin Vegeta vs. Goku – Longtime rivals, I thought this fight needed to happen at some point. The fight in itself wasn’t all that great, visually speaking but some of my favorite lines on the entire series come from that fight.
3. Majin Vegeta vs. Boo – First time Vegeta was actually fighting for a good reason.
4. Vegeta vs Zarbon – First and second time. Not the kind of fight most people will notice or like but I enjoyed both of them because I love stories where people fall down and then get up again to come back with a vengeance. Also, I have a twisted fascination with the awkward dialogue between Bulma and Vegeta before and after the fight.
5. Gohan vs. Cell - Epic fight and it was nice to see Gohan come out of his shell. Also I thought the father-son Kamehameha was pretty badass.
Last edited by petronka101 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 pm

1.Goku vs Vegeta (1st fight).
2.Goku vs freeza .
3.Goku&Vegita VS Cooler.
4.Vegito vs Omega shenron.
5.Goku vs piccolo jr.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:06 pm

In addition to providing a list, please actually contribute to the overall discussion by including a couple thoughts on why these fights are your favorites.

Also, be sure to preview your posts to ensure you don't have misplaced/random punctuation and misspelled character names.

Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mystic Buu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mystic Buu » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:11 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In addition to providing a list, please actually contribute to the overall discussion by including a couple thoughts on why these fights are your favorites.

Also, be sure to preview your posts to ensure you don't have misplaced/random punctuation and misspelled character names.

Thank you!
OK,i will.I wrote why are they my favourite fights in the explanation of topic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:14 pm

1. Goku vs. Piccolo (23rd Budokai) - It was a brutal, intense battle, and Goku finally achieved his dream.
2. Z Team vs. Vegeta - this fight more than any other used the characters so well.
3. Goku vs. Tenshinhan (22nd Budokai) - A great fight with plenty of emotion, and an ending I didn't see coming (Goku losing) that's capped off with one of the most emotional moments in the series, Goku's best friend being the first to arrive and congratulate him.
4. Goku vs. Jackie Chun - I love the battle between student and teacher.
5. Goku vs. Kuririn - a battle between best friends combined with Mezase Tenkaichi gives me chills.

Runner up
Goku vs. Freeza - A lot of people have said it was a one sided fight after Goku became a SS, but it was more one sided before. Freeza got a fair bit of offense in, but what I like about it is how Goku broke Freeza down emotionally.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Tenshinhan vs. Yamucha (first tournament fight.. very fast, both matched quite well to start).
Tenshinhan vs. Goku (both fights were awesome)
Goku vs. Piccolo Jr (what more can one say about this fight)
Shen vs. Piccolo Jr (Comedy turned into dramatic fighting)
Goku vs. Red Ribbon Army (he finally takes them all out).

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:57 pm

5. Mr. Satan Vs Trunks
This was just funny and long overdue. Not much of a fight.
4. Gohan vs. Recoome
Gohan is my favorite character. The stakes had never been higher at this point and he is finally able to overcome his fears and go all out in a fight. He is ultimately defeated, but I think Gohan shows more development from the beginning of the series to this point than he does for the rest of the series (which is very sad considering he pretty much gets to be the spotlight for the better part of a story arc later).
3. Trunks vs. Metal Freeza/(SSJ Trunks vs. SSJ Goku)
By this time we all know how powerful Freeza is. In my opinion the entire purpose of this fight is to show how strong Goku has become upon his return (not the mention the fact that it's completely out of nowhere). He blocks the attacks that easily defeated a stronger Freeza with his finger. I love the way these two fights play into each other. This little arc is my favorite part of the series.
2. Goku Vs. Vegeta (Vegeta/Saiyan Arc)
The buildup to this fight is enormous. By the time they are actually fighting I was freaking out (i.e.: OMG! IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!!). The action did not disappoint. I love how the fight escalates from conversation to hand-to-hand to blasting massive energy beams. There is definitely a progression and all major battles for the rest of the series follow this template.
1. Goku vs. Freeza
If the buildup for Goku vs. Vegeta was enormous, this was gargantuan. As much as I love the Cell arc for giving Gohan the spotlight, I have aged enough as a fan to at least acknowledge that this is the high point of the series.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:43 pm

1. Goku vs. Vegeta (Saiyan Saga)

All-time favorite and it always will be. Classic anime/manga rivalry shit here. I'm even inclined to say it's the best battle in anime/manga history.

2. Goku vs. Tenshinhan (Tenshinhan Saga)

The only time Ten was genuinely interesting as a character to me, and the fight doesn't disappoint.

3. Goku vs. Cell (Cell Saga)

Really underrated (especially in the anime). Amazing choreography and it's one of the few fights in the later arcs that hold up compared to early fights.

4. Goku vs. Piccolo (Piccolo Jr. Saga)

What's a "best fights" list without it?

5. Majin Vegeta vs. Majin Boo (Majin Boo Saga)

The setup and emotion behind this battle is beyond awesome, and the biggest part is that Vegeta finally fights for something besides self-gain.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

1.) Piccolo Vs Goku
2.) Goku Vs Vegeta (First Fight)
3.) Vegeta Vs Freeza
4.) Kuririn And Gohan Vs Gurd
5.) Goku Vs Freeza
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Son Goku versus Piccoli Daimao (round 2) is the most potent confrontation in the entire story.

Son Goku & Piccolo Jr. versus Garlic Jr. was beyond awesome. I also love the musical placement there, as it combines Piccolo's reoccuring theme with Makafushigi Adventure. SO GOOD.

Son Gohan (Ssj2) versus Bojack & co. Twas' the curbstomp the character deserved to deliver. I love the music and presentation in that scene.

Son Goku versus Beerus, mainly after they go underground and state they haven't been fighting seriously. The music gets a lot better, and the animation quality sky rockets into a world of its own when Goku turns Super Saiyan and the insert song comes in. That was animated perfection for just a couple of minutes.

Vegeta versus Reacoom. Brutal. Quick. Amazing. Brian Drummond made me piss myself when he played Vegeta powering up for that fight.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:01 am

The Vegeta fight. Vegeta is my favourite big bad in the "Z" era because he didn't just shrug off injuries. He registered pain...but even though the wounds made things more difficult for him, he still kept coming for you. With Majin Buu and to a lesser extent Cell, it never really seemed that they were suffering due to their constant regeneration.
ABED wrote:Goku vs. Freeza - A lot of people have said it was a one sided fight after Goku became a SS, but it was more one sided before. Freeza got a fair bit of offense in, but what I like about it is how Goku broke Freeza down emotionally.
It was one-sided prior, but it was entertaining to see Goku put up one hell of a fight despite being outclassed.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:08 pm

I have 3 favourite fight that qualifies as BEST No.1 fight in DB.

1. (A) Goku vs Cell : Masunaga Keisugi became my all-time favourite animator becuz of this fight (No More Rules, episode 179 I guess).
Brilliant action choreography & the Instant Transmission Kamehameha was beyond awesome.

(B) Goku vs Kid Buu : Again, a crown-jewel frm Masunaga Kaisugi.
Final fight of the Buu Saga & definetly lived-up to its hype. An all-out war would be apt for this fight.

(C) Majin Vegeta vs Goku : I liked this fight compared to their Round 1 in Saiyan Saga. Maybe its about the improvised animation. Definite high-point of Buu Saga.

2. Fat Buu vs Grey Buu : As short as it was, the camera-work, dramatic cuts & fluid animation was cool. Above all else, its marked Super Buu's emergence, kinda my fav.

3. EoZ Goku vs Uub: Been dying to watch Goku fight in TB ever since his fight against Piccolo Jr. The highlight of this fight was how well the animators slowly
reveal Uub's power by extending the fight with fillers.

4. SSJ2 Gohan vs Cell Jr's: This fight was better than the main event itself imo. Better choreography, nice display of techniques & Gohan was pure cool at this point.

5. USSJ Trunks vs Perfect Cell: I loved this fight, specifically the one frm Ghost frm Tomorrow. Future Trunks looked great & the fight itself was built-up very well.