Gohan Out of Character at Cell Games? Let's end this debate.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Gohan Out of Character at Cell Games? Let's end this deb

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am

ABED wrote:Those pics of Goku as Super Saiyan prove nothing. You can find plenty of pics with him with black hair and the same looks.
Has to be an error. Base Goku's eyes usually are incompletely outlined.
That's not the issue, the issue is Gohan's reticence to fight at the start of the battle. He's constantly eager to help out but the second he's called on, "Fighting is pointless."
I'm pretty sure he said that they're fight was meaningless not that fighting in general is meaningless.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:17 am

Just a serious question here to everyone generally:

Do you believe that Gohan (after the Cell games) still held to his Cell games personality, or that he reverted back into his former self regarding his willingness to fight and help?

Myself, I can't help to see a Gohan who previously easily got enraged who loses this by the time of the Cell Games. I also see that this keeps happening in the Buu arc, as when when he fights Buu the first time, and also during his Dabra fight (regardless of his SSJ level).

My problem with considering this an "out of character moment" is that I believe that his character simply changed from the Cell games onward, even though the reason doesn't seem that established, or to some of you not even existent (which I can buy, since it's all about your interpretation).

That's why I think that the real question isn't whether he was "out of character" or not.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm pretty sure he said that they're fight was meaningless not that fighting in general is meaningless.
Doesn't really change anything.
Not sure what this means or what your point is.
My problem with considering this an "out of character moment" is that I believe that his character simply changed from the Cell games onward, even though the reason doesn't seem that established, or to some of you not even existent (which I can buy, since it's all about your interpretation).
There's some truth to this. I could buy Gohan changing, but it needs to be shown. Many of the comments on here about the Room of Spirit and Time changing him come off as fans desperately trying to make all the pieces fit.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:54 pm

I got my manga out, and this is what Gohan says during his little OOC moment:

Gohan: "L-let's not do this.....this battle is pointless....."

Gohan: "But I don't like to fight......like Dad does. I don't want to kill anybody.....not even somebody as awful as you."

Now, please, add on to that that Gohan all of a sudden developed an irrational fear of his power, and I'd like someone to explain to me how none of that is OOC.
Last edited by thatdbzguy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:55 pm

ABED wrote: There's some truth to this. I could buy Gohan changing, but it needs to be shown. Many of the comments on here about the Room of Spirit and Time changing him come off as fans desperately trying to make all the pieces fit.
Okay, disregarding the ROSAT completely, what about Gohan (for the first time) being the main fighter, instead of just being the support?
Think of Kuririn suddenly becoming the strongest fighter. I could totally see him doing the same thing.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:59 pm

How am I still explaining this to you?

He doesn't like fighting.

If you can't divorce the abstract of wanting to help from not actually desiring the violence of the fight itself, the problem is yours.

What is the difficult concept here? What is the mind bending riddle in this?

He's not out of character. It's the way Gohan is.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:13 pm

My theory is that it's because Gohan is a hybrid. I think he'd reached an age where his human side(Chi Chi side) had become more dominant than his Saiyan side. It's the same with people in real life. When they're young they take after one parent and as they get older they start to take after the other more.

What's interesting to note is that even the videogames seem to acknowledge the change in his character at that point. In the BT series Saiyan/Frieza saga Gohan always seems happy to have won the battle in his win quotes by shouting "We won!" or "Is this because of Mr Piccolo's training?". Cell Games Base/SS1 Gohan on the other hand is clearly portrayed as different. When he wins a battle he says "I mustn't do what my dad did" or "I have to go home and study". He certainly seemed to have matured in a sense. Perhaps he'd just gained more of an idea of who he wanted to be by then.

Or it could be possible that his initial lack of control of SS1 when he first transformed scared him to the point that he feared going beyond.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:Those pics of Goku as Super Saiyan prove nothing. You can find plenty of pics with him with black hair and the same looks.
OK so those pics you posted. They aren't drawn the same way. So are you agreeing with me?

I was saying that during those days of peace his eyes were drawn like base Goku even though he was in SSJ. Normally when he's in SSJ they look like the pics you posted.

Before that every single time he was in SSJ his eyes looked angry like that. But then he mastered it so it doesn't cause him rage anymore.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

penguintruth wrote:How am I still explaining this to you?

If you can't divorce the abstract of wanting to help from not actually desiring the violence of the fight itself, the problem is yours.

How many times do I have to reiterate, the issue isn't whether Gohan enjoys fighting, it's his reluctance to fight despite knowing the kind of being Cell is and it goes against what we had seen from him up to this point, Gohan eagerly wants to help. You are getting indignant over something that no one, as far as I can tell, is arguing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:20 pm

That doesn't explain his sudden reluctance of fighting Cell despite jumping right in to battle with other villains before, or his sudden irrational fear of his power.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:26 pm

I've already addressed it.

This is not what reluctance looks like.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:50 pm

Let's keep it shonen, folks.

I still like my simple explanation from earlier. Gohan doesn't mind fighting for fun or sport (like participating in the Budokai), and he doesn't mind fighting when it's necessary to save the Earth or his friends or whatever (like...well, a lot of times). But it's this combination of the two, where Cell's taken the fate of humanity and made a sick sadistic game out of it, that rubs Gohan the wrong way. He doesn't want to play along with how Cell's doing things.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:01 pm

Kaboom wrote:Let's keep it shonen, folks.

I still like my simple explanation from earlier. Gohan doesn't mind fighting for fun or sport (like participating in the Budokai), and he doesn't mind fighting when it's necessary to save the Earth or his friends or whatever (like...well, a lot of times). But it's this combination of the two, where Cell's taken the fate of humanity and made a sick sadistic game out of it, that rubs Gohan the wrong way. He doesn't want to play along with how Cell's doing things.
This. This.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:07 am

thatdbzguy wrote:

his sudden irrational fear of his power.
It's not irrational. Just because nothing bad happened before doesn't mean he thinks nothing can go wrong.

It's like saying, "Nothing happened all the other times you went drunk driving. Why are you afraid of it?"
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 am

Kaboom, that's still a stretch, regardless of the form of the fight, Cell's still a universal threat so too damn bad for him thinking the fight is pointless.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:25 pm

ABED wrote:Kaboom, that's still a stretch, regardless of the form of the fight, Cell's still a universal threat so too damn bad for him thinking the fight is pointless.
Cell wasn't a universal thread until he came back as Super Perfect Cell (which, incidentally, is when he set himself up as a universal threat). Sure, he could have survived the Earth exploding after blowing it up like he planned, but what would happen next? He'd spend years, if not longer, trying to find another inhabited planet. He doesn't have a giant fleet of ships, or the resources of an interplanetary militant organization like Freeza does for getting around the universe quickly.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:49 pm

penguintruth wrote:I've already addressed it.

This is not what reluctance looks like.
That's the only time Gohan actually tries to attack Cell before going SSj2 in the manga. The only time. Everything else was just dodging or just standing there. That panel only proves that Gohan could have put up a much better fight agaisnt Cell even without SSJ2 than he actually did, if he had actually tried.

And you are right when you say that wanting to help is different from not liking to fight. But that's precisely the thing that makes Gohan appear out of character. Before the Cell games, despite not liking to fight, Gohan never hesitated or failed to act in order to help his family and friends, and in the Cell games he does these things. Its a development in his behavior that its most definitely a change from his previous self and one that appears out of nowhere. Of course you may think that its a natural development of his behavior in that situation and as such you don't believe that any more exposition or leading up to it was required, but I don't share that opinion. Without a little more exposition and a little more leading up to it, it just doesn't feel natural, it instead stands out as inconsistent and feels like just a reason to add drama to the situation.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:18 pm

I can't help but noticing that this thread which promised to "end the debate" has gone on for 7 pages worth of debate...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ABED wrote:Kaboom, that's still a stretch, regardless of the form of the fight, Cell's still a universal threat so too damn bad for him thinking the fight is pointless.
Cell wasn't a universal thread until he came back as Super Perfect Cell (which, incidentally, is when he set himself up as a universal threat). Sure, he could have survived the Earth exploding after blowing it up like he planned, but what would happen next? He'd spend years, if not longer, trying to find another inhabited planet. He doesn't have a giant fleet of ships, or the resources of an interplanetary militant organization like Freeza does for getting around the universe quickly.
What does that have to do with anything? Cell has enormous power and if no one can stop him, he can destroy planet after planet. The fact that it won't be quickly is irrelevant. Even going with your POV, he's still a threat to the Earth.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 pm

ABED wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
What does that have to do with anything? Cell has enormous power and if no one can stop him, he can destroy planet after planet. The fact that it won't be quickly is irrelevant. Even going with your POV, he's still a threat to the Earth.
Yeah, but without someway to get to other planets, he's not a universal threat, which is what I was responding to in your post. He's obviously a threat to Earth.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"