When did Dragonball change its tone?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

When did Dragonball change its tone?

Post by Hades » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:46 pm

We all know that Dragonball started out as a gag manga and ended up becoming one of the main examples of the Golden Age of Anime while still retaining its gag roots somewhat.

But when did the tone really change from comedic to (somewhat) serious? Demon King Piccolo? Saiyans? Freeza?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When did Dragonball change its tone?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:47 pm

The Red Ribbon Army had some pretty serious/harsh parts, like how brutal Tao was when he killed people.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:55 pm

It was a fairly gradual change with a number of watershed moments over time (e.g. Tao Pai Pai, Tenshinhan, then Piccolo Daimao).
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:The Red Ribbon Army had some pretty serious/harsh parts, like how brutal Tao was when he killed people.
I agree with this. Bora's death is, from what I remember, the first time we really see Son's serious side.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Tao Bai Bai already did have his moments but there were always some moments where I could say they are a bit comparable to this as death was nothing new. It was really more serious when Kuririn died and Piccolo's story began because it really became dark then, Goku was angrier than ever, even risked his life to become stronger and unleash his power to fight his first really great and fierce battle.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:07 pm

It started with Tao Pai Pai, Tenshinhan, and then culminated with Piccolo Daimao.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:19 pm

I think it was a gradual change. The first arc is very comedy orientated and whilst the Red Ribbon arc certainly brings the focus more towards action, it didn't feel like a huge shift then and there. Tao Pai Pai murdering Bora was definitely quite a dark turn but I don't feel like the way it was handled presented that big of a shift in tone.

I think the biggest shift is from the moment Kuririn is found dead. That was such a morbid and unexpected twist that it almost feels tonally incongruous to what preceded it. All the action from that point onwards felt very high stakes and as intense as any of the 'Z' portion.

I think the next big change comes around the introduction of the Saiyans but I feel like that quite shifts enough from the Piccolo Jr arc until the introduction of Freeza. He's a character like nothing that's come before and the brutality shown is second to none. You've got a genocide inducing, power hungry sadist in charge of a bunch of cruel grunts. That's not something that's been done before!

From that point on, I don't think it really changes much. If anything, the tone shifts back to a more comical one by the time the Buu arc comes around.
Last edited by Ajay on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:29 pm

I agree that it was in the Piccolo Daimaou arc. I still remember being really traumatized by watching that scene when Goku finds Kuririn's dead body, it was such a big contrast to previous events in the series, it definitely felt closer to the Z part. And I liked that in the Buu saga there was a return to some kind of humor. I'm a silly person who loves Toriyama's gags, so Gotenks was the highlight of that arc for me. It is tricky to balance gags with a dramatic tone though, and I think that many Buu moments felt like they lacked tension because of the goofing around that happened.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:23 am

Like some people already said it was a gradual change. It began when Tao Pai Pai appeared and remained like that until the end of Red Ribbon arc.
It later changes again In Piccolo Daimao arc and remais until the end of Buu Saga. Even though this one is less "dark"than the others.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:15 pm

I agree, there are some points before Tao Pai Pai, but you could chalk it up as "usual villain" stuff. Tao Pai Pai was the first one that actually killed someone who Goku had just made friends with in complete cold blood and without being able to do anything about it.

Ten Shin Han had his moments (breaking Yamcha's leg), but overall it only lasted for the Tournament.

Things took a HUGE turn for the dark when Krillin was murdered and from there it went quickly down hill. All the fighters around the world getting killed, Goku getting his ass handed twice. Roshi dying, Chaotzu killed along with Shen Long. Piccolo technically taking over the world.... etc.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:04 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:

I think the next big change comes around the introduction of the Saiyans but I feel like that quite shifts enough from the Piccolo Jr arc until the introduction of Freeza. He's a character like nothing that's come before and the brutality shown is second to none. You've got a genocide inducing, power hungry sadist in charge of a bunch of cruel grunts. That's not something that's been done before!
Isn't that basically King Piccolo?

And yeah, I'd say it's a gradual shift but never shifted towards Z level of seriousness until Krillin's death by the hands of Tambourine. Personally, I'd say that's when Z truly started.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:32 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote: You've got a genocide inducing, power hungry sadist in charge of a bunch of cruel grunts. That's not something that's been done before!
Isn't that basically King Piccolo?
I guess I never really got that sadistic vibe from him. He was evil and wanted to take over the world, of course, but tonally it still felt very over the top and 'colourful' for lack of a better term. It still felt like it belonged in the world of Dragon Ball. Freeza has always seemed very different from anyone else in the series. Whether that's imply amplified by the fact they're on a different planet, I don't know but he's certainly unique.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:35 pm

I don't see that big of a difference, Freeza's pretty flamboyant, and Piccolo was definitely a sadist. Look at the way he picked Goku apart.
soulnova wrote:Ten Shin Han had his moments (breaking Yamcha's leg), but overall it only lasted for the Tournament.

Things took a HUGE turn for the dark when Krillin was murdered and from there it went quickly down hill. All the fighters around the world getting killed, Goku getting his ass handed twice. Roshi dying, Chaotzu killed along with Shen Long. Piccolo technically taking over the world.... etc.
I think everyone was referring to the 22nd Tournament arc and not simply the character. It also should be noted that the tournament right into the Piccolo Daimao arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 pm

You've got a genocide inducing, power hungry sadist in charge of a bunch of cruel grunts. That's not something that's been done before!
Piccolo and Vegeta both did it first. And hey, they were better at it. They both (either directly or through minions) have a much higher body count than Freeza, both of bystanders and of main characters.

Piccolo: Krillin, Chiaotzu, Roshi, minor Budoaki contestants, a whole city (likely millions of people)

Vegeta: Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Tenshinhan, Kami, Piccolo, another city (likely millions of people), 7 Namekians

Freeza: Krillin, Vegeta, Dende, all other saiyans (there were supposed to be very, very few of them, so maybe a couple thousand?), all Namekians except Piccolo (99 people).
Whether that's imply amplified by the fact they're on a different planet, I don't know but he's certainly unique.
What's unique about him? Everything about him is copy-pasted from Vegeta.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:39 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:ll Namekians except Piccolo (106 people).
Didn't Vegeta kill a village of Namekieans himself? I'm pretty sure that's why Dende refused to heal him.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
You've got a genocide inducing, power hungry sadist in charge of a bunch of cruel grunts. That's not something that's been done before!
Piccolo and Vegeta both did it first. And hey, they were better at it. They both (either directly or through minions) have a much higher body count than Freeza, both of bystanders and of main characters.

Piccolo: Krillin, Chiaotzu, Roshi, minor Budoaki contestants, a whole city (likely millions of people)

Vegeta: Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Tenshinhan, Kami, Piccolo, another city (likely millions of people)

Freeza: Krillin, Vegeta, Dende, all other saiyans (there were supposed to be very, very few of them, so maybe a couple thousand?), all Namekians except Piccolo (106 people).
If you're counting the people Nappa killed for Vegeta, then you might as well count those that Vegeta killed while working for Freeza.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:41 pm

But Vegeta coming to his Earth was his own shenanigan. I don't think Freeza was involved with that.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:ll Namekians except Piccolo (106 people).
Didn't Vegeta kill a village of Namekieans himself? I'm pretty sure that's why Dende refused to heal him.
Ah yes. Fix'd. That'd give Vegeta a higher on-screen personal body count than Freeza, manga wise. Freeza only directly killed Bardock, Cargo, Dende, Krillin, and Vegeta. Freeza would have a higher body count if you count his off-screen destruction of planet Vegeta, but then you'd probably have to count Nappa nuking that city while under Vegeta's command, which probably had more people in it than Vegeta.
But Vegeta coming to his Earth was his own shenanigan. I don't think Freeza was involved with that.
Freeza didn't even exist when Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta came to Earth. I don't think another reason for them being there was retconned in either.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Freeza is the head of the empire, he didn't have to soil his hands, but he's responsible for what goes on in it, so he's partially responsible for many genocides.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:49 pm

Kid Buu wrote:But Vegeta coming to his Earth was his own shenanigan. I don't think Freeza was involved with that.
I was referring to all the places that Vegeta and co. conquered prior to coming to Earth. Those millions that Random ascribed to Vegeta were most likely at Freeza's behest.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"