Frieza - Transformation VHS

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Frieza - Transformation VHS

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:17 am

Does anyone have a uncut VHS copy of Fr(i)eza - Transformation? Two of the episodes were combined into one for the broadcast version. I recall one of the episodes numbered something like 65a or 65b. Can anyone help me out?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Freeza - Transformation VHS

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 am

I don't have it, but I saw it a lot in stores when it first came out. They weren't numbered as "a" and "b". "Piccolo the Super Namek" was numbered. "Gohan Attacks" was not numbered as it was considered the uncut exclusive. But that ended up being a bit of an issue as, when Toonami aired season 3, the edited version was called "Gohan Attacks," and no episode called "Piccolo the Super Namek" ever aired, when it seemingly should have been the other way around.

A friend of mine got the edited version of that tape before season 3 aired, but I can't remember how its middle episode was labeled in the episode itself, although I'm fairly certain the back of the box referred to it as "Piccolo the Super Namek."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't have it, but I saw it a lot in stores when it first came out. They weren't numbered as "a" and "b". "Piccolo the Super Namek" was numbered. "Gohan Attacks" was not numbered as it was considered the uncut exclusive. But that ended up being a bit of an issue as, when Toonami aired season 3, the edited version was called "Gohan Attacks," and no episode called "Piccolo the Super Namek" ever aired, when it seemingly should have been the other way around.

A friend of mine got the edited version of that tape before season 3 aired, but I can't remember how its middle episode was labeled in the episode itself, although I'm fairly certain the back of the box referred to it as "Piccolo the Super Namek."
I owned both the edited and uncut VHS tapes back in the day. The edited case did label the combined episode as "Piccolo the Super Namek", however, the title card on the actual episode said "Gohan Attacks". The uncut case listed the individual episode titles but designated "Gohan Attacks" as "Uncut Only" and did not assign it an episode number.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 am

I have the DVD of Transformation and as Freeza Soldier explained, Gohan Attacks and Piccolo The Super Namek are separate as episodes 65A and 65B.

The episodes were combined for the U.S. Broadcast/Edited VHS tapes to most likley cut out any scenes that may have been too gratuitous according to FUNimation and/or Cartoon Network.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 am

I wonder, if Funimation ever released a "Rock the Dragon Boxset Volume 2", would they use edited versions of English episodes 54-57, 64-65, or the uncut versions? Given how they only released the edited-for-TV version of Tree of Might, I'm guessing they'd do the same again.

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Got that tape in my hand as we speak. I'll scan the back cover and post it somewhere.

*edit* here it is. Wow, that's a crappy scan. I need to clean my platten. But it should give you the info you want.

screen shots

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Haha, yes! I was right! Thanks for posting that. Good to see my memory from 1999 hasn't gotten too rusty.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm

thanks for the picture.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.