Goku speaks "Yakuza-Gangster" Japanese? What?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Goku speaks "Yakuza-Gangster" Japanese? What?

Post by foxfang4 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi guys. I rarely post year (long time reader), but today had an experience that I think deserves a thread. Because my mind was pretty much blown today.
__________________________________________________________________________________

I work as a substitute teacher. Today, I went to teach a grade 5 class. I met a kid who I later found out was a) half-Japanese, b) spoke Japanese fluently, and c) Was raised there until grade 3. So, he seemed pretty legit.
When I commented that I had heard (for years) that Goku was supposed to sound like a "hick/hillbilly" in Japanese, he answered: "Not at all. He speaks Yakuza Japanese." "What?" "Yeah...like he talks like a gangster. That's what makes him so funny." He explained that, in Japanese, Goku pretty much talks completely in that type of slang ("Yo pops"). I told him that for years I've read (on forums) or heard from 1 friend who studied Japanese, that Goku's supposed to be a "hick". He was adamant. "Trust me. I'm Japanese. I know all the accents. Goku's appeal is that he talks like a Yakuza gangster around people...not even close to a "hillbilly"."

Can anyone confirm this for me? My entire lifetime's image of Goku completely changed when I heard that. Honestly, it made the character 50x times cooler for me. :lol: If this is true, then the English dub Goku isn't even close to the original one.
Last edited by foxfang4 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Goku speaks "Yakuza-Gangster" Japanese? What?

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Maybe Vegeta, but Goku? Goku always sounded like he just lacked people skills. "Hey OLD guy!" Same could be said about Naruto or Luffy... they have that demeanor, for me anyway...
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:34 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Maybe Vegeta, but Goku? Goku always sounded like he just lacked people skills. "Hey OLD guy!" Same could be said about Naruto or Luffy... they have that demeanor, for me anyway...
I actually asked him about how Vegeta and Frieza speak. I said I assumed they spoke very correctly/high class. He confirmed that they did. I asked him about a few characters.

He told me Whisu (Battle of Gods) speaks like a "Butler". And...I think (can't remember fully)...he said Birisu sounded just like Goku. He said the scene when Birisu talks to King Kai is hilarious in Japanese if you understand his slang. He said there's no way we could get that side of the scene with just subtitles.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Interesting. I guess one won't truly know unless they more than just knew japanese but knew the different dialects as well.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 pm

I think saying that Goku speaks like a hick is an attempt to translate his speaking style into english because of the differences in the languages and the two cultures. That's how Steve Simmon's translated him anyway. I would be interested in hearing a Japanese persons perspective on this though.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:30 pm

qjz123 wrote:I think saying that Goku speaks like a hick is an attempt to translate his speaking style into english because of the differences in the languages and the two cultures. That's how Steve Simmon's translated him anyway. I would be interested in hearing a Japanese persons perspective on this though.
Kei, care to share your opinions? :wave:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:39 pm

This is what Herms said about it in a thread from 2011
Herms wrote:In the manga Goku's speech is comparatively close to standard Japanese. The main characteristics of his speech are his use of improper/impolite first and second person pronouns, lots of contractions, and how he slurs ai or oi sounds into ee. None of these points are exclusively "hick" things (Kuririn, for instance, does the "ai/oi into ee" thing when flustered). Altogether it seems super-casual and uneducated, which I guess fits the "hick" stereotype, but it's not a style of speech specific to any region. In the anime though, Nozawa plays Goku up more as having a vague Tohoku accent. The Tohoku accent has a "country bumpkin" stigma around it, so the closest thing in US English would probably be a Southern accent.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

I could believe more of the hick route than a Yakuza/Gangster route. I think he might be blowing smoke.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:44 pm

I don't know Japanese except for a very few words I hear on Dragon Ball, but Goku a Yakuza? ...

A yakuza is a gangster and Goku just doesn't sound like he'd be one of them, if anything he tends to have that hicky simplistic voice without any professionalism. There's better chances Cell and Freeza are yakuzas than Goku. :P

Oh my I'd totally be up to watch "Cell: The Yakuza" that'd be awesome.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Well, I suppose the next question to ask, then, would be: Is it a common stereotype for Yakuza members to speak with a Tohoku dialect?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, I suppose the next question to ask, then, would be: Is it a common stereotype for Yakuza members to speak with a Tohoku dialect?
Typical Yakuza stereotypes speak in a Kansai (Osaka/Kobe) or Chugoku (Hiroshima) dialect; when they do use Eastern Japanese, it's usually an extremely "rough" working-class Kanto dialect. This does bear some similarities to Goku's speech (chiefly in the monophthongization of vowel pairs), but is much more aggressive and vulgar (with things like trilled "r"s, colorful slang, and regular use of "temee" as a second-person pronoun). While I assume Tohoku yakuza exist, I'd have a hard time considering them threatening if they spoke with the dialect in fiction.

Goku's speech, in contrast, is relatively neutral Kanto dialect in vocabulary and even pronunciation, with the main things setting his speech apart being his use of "ora" as a first-person pronoun, "omee" as a second-person pronoun (though he often uses "omae" as well towards the start of the manga), and "yatsu" meaning "thing", as well as his assimilation of trailing "r" into the next consonant ("Kekkon sukka?" comes to mind right away). These things are all marked (in contrast to Standard) as "rural" or "uneducated" speech, and "ora" in particular is a mark of people from the Tohoku region, which carries the "country bumpkin" stereotype.

By comparison, Chi-Chi and Gyumao speak in quite thick Tohoku dialect (or Toriyama's approximation thereof) in their first appearance; for Gyumao in particular, this has the effect of completely disarming him in the eyes of the reader, despite his considerable size and strength. When they reappear later on, however, their "Tohoku" speech has been whittled down to just a few key quirks (chiefly: monophthongized vowel pairs, use of particle "be", and use of "da" after verbs).

Regarding a question earlier in the thread, Beerus doesn't sound "just like Goku". His speech is unmarked Standard Japanese, with his defining traits being the use of "boku" (soft-masculine informal-polite) as a first-person pronoun, and "kimi" (soft/affectionate informal to equal or lesser status) as a second-person pronoun. He is also capable of using polite speech when required, though his default way of speaking is plain style (which, since he really does outrank everyone else in status, isn't really being rude).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Well if you had to give Goku a catchphrace it would be 'Yo!' :think:

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Well if you had to give Goku a catchphrace it would be 'Yo!' :think:
I'd personally go with 'Sup! Yo! sounds more like an urban informal greeting. Heya! Sounds too close to hey. Then again I'd usually adapt a Goku sentence kind of like:

'Sup! I'm Goku!

I ain't ever heard 'bout that Super Saiyan God thing.

What'cha talkin' 'bout?

Etc. at least if the translations have don't, I usually replace it with ain't and drop g's and switch going, wanting to, etc. to gonna, wanna. But still have a normal Midwestern Accent which would probably be the closest equivalent in US English to the Standard Kanto dialect in Japanese. I believe it would be do able in English, but an official dub would never want to take that risk. If adapting like to or for, I write it out ta or fer, for Goku to guide more like that pronunciation or ya in the case of you.

For a Yakuza type, I guess a New York thug stereotype accent in US English would be the equivalent to the Yakuza stereotype voice/tone/accent in Japanese.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 pm

When Goku enters a scene, there should be dueling banjos. Bardock and Gine were probably first cousins.

Goku doesn't want the gob'nit on his propatay, dagnabit. He's fixin' to cook up sum viddles. Whee doggies!

He wants to see the World King's birth certificate.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am

I can converse casually in Japanese (I left too young), but my ear for accents is not great. Luckily, I have 1-2 Japanese that can help.

"Goku speaks a mix of the Nagoya and Tohoku dialects. But at the same time its neither."

On the Yakuza Accent

Note form:
- Nozawa's tone is rough and may pronounce certain words like a Yakuza would (due to Goku's "beranmei" accent), but he's too innocent acting to really speak like one.
- He's just rough. Unrefined. (I get that impression just from listening to him).
Last edited by Aoi on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 am

penguintruth wrote:When Goku enters a scene, there should be dueling banjos. Bardock and Gine were probably first cousins.

Goku doesn't want the gob'nit on his propatay, dagnabit. He's fixin' to cook up sum viddles. Whee doggies!

He wants to see the World King's birth certificate.
hahaha. Son Goku everyone Image