So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Sorry Mr Vegetto EX! You are nice to warn me instead of just ban hammer-ING me already!

Anyway, I think both sides are equally bad (Except Gaffer Tape and Jacob, YOU ROCK!) so I'm out of this thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Sorry Mr Vegetto EX! You are nice to warn me instead of just ban hammer-ING me already!

Anyway, I think both sides are equally bad (Except Gaffer Tape and Jacob, YOU ROCK!) so I'm out of this thread.
Both sides of what?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:08 pm

ABED wrote:
Codarik wrote:On topic, its always nice to see a nod to DB in other tv series, just shows how popular DB still is.

Off topic, as a grown man who likes The Power Puff Girls, I see nothing wrong with grown men liking MLP. BUT, saying MLP has better anything than DB might be an overstatement.
I don't recall PPG's being targeted at young girls, honestly.
I always found the Powerpuff Girls to be targeted to boys and girls. Also, in regards to DBZ, when the Rowdyruff Boys got new hairstyles, they resembled Goku and Vegeta's hair.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:09 pm

The Troll that pushes his brony boner down our throats and the *EW GIRL SHOWS ARE ICKY!* crowd.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 pm

ABED wrote:Stop being judgmental about people being judgmental, please.
How am I being judgmental here (but, hey, at least you're admitting you're being judgmental)? How is that anything but a completely dismissive lack of argument? I've already said I don't care whether you like My Little Pony or people who like My Little Pony. I'm not trying to sell you on a show I've never even watched. On a broader level, I don't particularly care if you see it as girly, and, if you do, that "girly" things are not for you. To each his own. The only thing I've ever taken issue with in regards to you in this thread were your antagonistic and belittling remarks towards people who do like it, despite the fact that you're on a Dragon Ball forum and like Powerpuff Girls. You don't have to like it, but it just seems to me extremely hypocritical of you to make fun of people who do. And the fact that you readily admit you know next to nothing about what you're making fun of people for liking just makes it even more extraordinary to me. But I have not passed judgment on you. In fact, I like you a lot! You're usually fun to debate with, and we have a lot of views in common. I just find your reasoning and responses to be very flawed in this case.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon May 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
ABED wrote:Stop being judgmental about people being judgmental, please.
How am I being judgmental here (but, hey, at least you're admitting you're being judgmental)? How is that anything but a completely dismissive lack of argument? I've already said I don't care whether you like My Little Pony or people who like My Little Pony. I'm not trying to sell you on a show I've never even watched. On a broader level, I don't particularly care if you see it as girly, and, if you do, that "girly" things are not for you. To each his own. The only thing I've ever taken issue with in regards to you in this thread were your antagonistic and belittling remarks towards people who do like it, despite the fact that you're on a Dragon Ball forum and like Powerpuff Girls. You don't have to like it, but it just seems to me extremely hypocritical of you to make fun of people who do. And the fact that you readily admit you know next to nothing about what you're making fun of people for liking just makes it even more extraordinary to me. But I have not passed judgment on you. In fact, I like you a lot! You're usually fun to debate with, and we have a lot of views in common. I just find your reasoning and responses to be very flawed in this case.
If I was antagonistic, it was towards a certain individual. Was I making fun of "them"? I wasn't aware of that. I simply said I found it weird.

And no, PPG's is a different case, it's target audience wasn't pre-pubescent girls. It was written to appeal to a much broader audience, from the action to the type of humor. So I don't think that makes me at all hypocritical.

I readily admit that my views on the show aren't the most "educated", but in my defense, after hearing about Bronies, I had to see if I was too quick to judge, but out of the 6 or so 2-3 minute clips I've seen, nothing has shown me that it's not a very girly show that I'm not sure why men with similar pop-culture tastes (which I'm sure a number of Bronies have) would find it appealing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon May 12, 2014 9:22 pm

To be fair Gaffer, I'm a Brony to a degree and even I find it weird and 90% of Bronies are pedoish or just weird. Let me say that I've seen on YouTube via reaction video of MLP....fully 3d cel shaded animation of the ponies making ouT. I'll confidently say that most Bronies are weird. Not all but 95%. I'm honestly confused what the argument is about so please excuse if i'm out of line

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Well, I'm a fan of both shows (I like DBZ a lot more though), and I have to say, other than Rarity (the white unicorn) who is a complete girly-girl, the rest of them aren't even that feminine. Obviously it's a show featuring female characters, so you're gonna get feminine traits in their behavior, but it's not like the 80s MLP where everyone was a cookie cutter stereotype of a 10 year old girl. I don't know about the writing being SUPER GOOD or anything, while I enjoy the show overall, there are some pretty abysmal episodes out there, and characters that are boring to the point of tears (Spike is insufferable and a terrible mascot, in my opinion).

That said, having been a fan of PPG too, I don't think either show is "girlier" than the other, actually. Unless you're giving ponies a head start because they are colorful and based on a toy franchise famously aimed only at girls in the 80s. (I don't think being "girly" is an equivalent to a show sucking, or being stupid but that's a whole 'nother can of worms that I'm not going to bring up here at all).

I think there are different reasons why people like ponies or DBZ, and they don't have to be at war with each other? I mean, ponies are lighthearted entertainment, like DBZ, except there is a lot more emphasis in the character's relationships, but then again, that's not DBZ's focus, it's the action. I think they offer different things.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't like MLP, never have, probably never will. Nothing against people who like it, its just not my thing.
And from that fight thatdbzguy posted, it barely reminded me of DB. and even then, doesn't even come CLOSE to DB's level of fights.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm

I guess I might as well give my own insight into this argument right now(which I probably should have done earlier), although I don't care for MLP, I think it's a bit uncalled for to call someone out for watching the show. As long as they aren't doing anything harmful, who cares? People are free to like whatever show they want.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 pm

I feel like one of the problems is that when people think of My Little Pony, they think of one of toy commercials that used to come on tv, with little girls going "WOOOW" and "OOOOH" and "AAAHH" while playing with little ponies and that happy My little Pony song playing in the background. At least that's what I think about..

I didn't even know it had a cartoon to it until I saw this thread. That's why whenever ThatDBZGuy brought up MLP Fan Fiction I always thought, "What? People write stories about toys?" Aside from thinking he wasn't serious.

I gotta say if it ever came to light that "Hmm, how am I gonna push these guys' buttons today" turned out to be the main purpose of a lot his threads I wouldn't be surprised. The constant bashing and comparing it to the Twilight movies (which are commonly accepted as bad.) Just seems like he wants to make people mad.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Mon May 12, 2014 11:07 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Why? It obviously has a bigger sense of loss than DBZ after Twilight's old home got destroyed (and if My Little Pony of all things has a bigger sense of loss than your show, that's just sad)
See, that's the thing, it doesn't. As we pointed out before, because of the show's episodic format, everything that happened in the previous week doesn't really matter, I'm pretty sure "Twilight" gets her house back next week. At least one had to wait a decent amount of time before they wished people back with the Dragon Balls.
thatdbzguy wrote: and the animation is much more consistent.
It's a cartoon made from 2010 as opposed to an anime made in 1980. Of course it's going to look more consistent (and even then that's pretty arguable considering the fact it already looks pretty crappy.)
thatdbzguy wrote: Plus, all the characters are useful, which is something DBZ doesn't comprehend.
Really, how so?
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:The only thing I've ever taken issue with in regards to you in this thread were your antagonistic and belittling remarks towards people who do like it, despite the fact that you're on a Dragon Ball forum and like Powerpuff Girls. You don't have to like it, but it just seems to me extremely hypocritical of you to make fun of people who do. And the fact that you readily admit you know next to nothing about what you're making fun of people for liking just makes it even more extraordinary to me. But I have not passed judgment on you. In fact, I like you a lot! You're usually fun to debate with, and we have a lot of views in common. I just find your reasoning and responses to be very flawed in this case.
The same attitude should be given to the people excessively trying to shove the show's promotion down our throats while refusing to let us choose for ourselves. The forced overhyping of it has gotten ridiculous for years. Everything must cross over with MLP, everything must fight Twilight, everything is better with MLP parodying it. Its annoying, its insulting to those who want to discuss things in relevance of what they came to talk about. MLP is probably the most leading subject of threat derailing on sight. Regardless of how good the show is to the fandom, it should be kept in the fandom. Not everywhere that exists outside it. General rant.
Patrick wrote:Really, how so?
Hes just graping for excuses now fuelled by bias, how about we argue that the care bares is better than DBZ next?
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Mon May 12, 2014 11:30 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Hes just graping for excuses now fuelled by bias, how about we argue that the care bares is better than DBZ next?
I'm well aware of the flaws in his arguments, but nonetheless I still want to hear them for the sake of the discussion.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:36 pm

Patrick wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Hes just graping for excuses now fuelled by bias, how about we argue that the care bares is better than DBZ next?
I'm well aware of the flaws in his arguments, but nonetheless I still want to hear them for the sake of the discussion.
You won't get a discussion you'll get agenda fueled opinions that keep the thread spinning in circles.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

IIMaxII
Beyond Newbie

Post by IIMaxII » Tue May 13, 2014 12:43 am

IMO, it's actually better than DBZ's fights.
Stopped reading there. I can't take this seriously.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue May 13, 2014 3:51 am

Patrick wrote:See, that's the thing, it doesn't. As we pointed out before, because of the show's episodic format, everything that happened in the previous week doesn't really matter, I'm pretty sure "Twilight" gets her house back next week. At least one had to wait a decent amount of time before they wished people back with the Dragon Balls.
Well actually that was the season-finale. Three out of the four season-finales the show has had so far has in some way shook up the status quo. (Granted the second season's was kinda minor, really only amounting to bringing in a couple of new recurring characters... Both season 3 and 4 were pretty significant game-changers however.) And no, the destruction of the library was a permanent thing... granted it was replaced by a freaking castle at the end of the episode, but yeah, that particular change actually stuck.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue May 13, 2014 4:24 am

VegettoEX wrote: Under no circumstances is anyone able to disrespect or otherwise rudely challenge someone's fandom or personal choices.
Isn't that exactly what's happening every time a certain user starts a new thread bashing Dragon Ball, though? I think we're all getting a bit tired of it, it's blatant trolling.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:35 am

From what I've seen of 'MLP', it has been expositional wank about social problems, frolicking and uninteresting bullshit. If you like MLP, I have no problem but comparing it to dragon ball is just a joke. Also the fight was a nice tribute to the idea of dragon ball fights, but again it doesn't compare to any dragon ball fight.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

superfunk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by superfunk » Tue May 13, 2014 4:54 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: Under no circumstances is anyone able to disrespect or otherwise rudely challenge someone's fandom or personal choices.
Isn't that exactly what's happening every time a certain user starts a new thread bashing Dragon Ball, though? I think we're all getting a bit tired of it, it's blatant trolling.
I agree with this, he "rudely challenge's someone's fandom" almost every post.